1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorite enemies for rangers

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Redrake, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

What's your favorite bane? For me is giants. I almost always pick giants as favorites. Sometimes trolls. A ranger with high Str and using a 2H Sword with Giants as favorite enemy can inflict quite a punch especially against Frost and Fire Giants.

2. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I usually go for orcs, goblins and undead. Mainly undead, for roleplaying purposes. My ranger hates vampies

3. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

You do realise that this is IWD, don't you? There are no vampires in IWD.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Giants is a good choice, since they are tough, you need to bring them down as fast as possible. Choosing orcs, goblins, or other weak critters will not help at all, they will still die in one good hit. Though I guess it may help at the start of a HoF game. Mm, now it does not sound like a bad idea, indeed!

5. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Goblins die fast even in HoF. As for orcs, it might help you. Not against the common orcs, but against the Orogs in Dorn's Deep. They also count as orcs.
    One of the old tactic many players used was to put skeletons as favorite enemies on a ranger/cleric. While it was efficient, the skeletons are weak anyway.

6. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

For roleplaying purposes I try to consider my character's background. As a Ranger in a forest/mountainous region he/she is most likely to have dealt with Goblins, Orcs, Giants or Gnolls during his/her formative years.

I would usually choose Goblins or Orcs as they are considered more proliferate in most game/book settings. IMHO

For sake of the game I would choose Giants since that would proably give you the best benefit.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Cadaverous Undead.
    The wights in Kresselack's tomb and on Burial Isle are the are the most annoying enemies in the game.
    It doesn't help if parts of the game which are already too easy get even easier, so I wouldn't choose giants for example.

8. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

You never played in HoF, did you? Those wights are too easy. Put a shield spell on you to waste their magic missiles and hack them. 2-3 hits and their dead (again). As for Burial Island, electricity spells are your friends.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Trolls are a great choice.

10. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    I would agree with Klorox. Even in IWD II they are somewhat numerous.

11. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

@redrake: I soloed HoF mode three times with three different freshly created level1 characters.

The giants look impressing but aren't a threat once you face them. You can take them out easily without them getting a single hit in, for the roleplaying athmosphere it would have been better having a harder time fighting those impressive looking humanoids.

Wights are immune to normal weapons, when you face the first ones in Kresselack's tomb with probably only a dagger as magical weapon it's annoying, especially since you won't have wasted profiency points in dagger for your warriors.
    The shield spell doesn't free you from having to face them in melee. Summons can't hurt them either.
    And in HoF mode they have far more than 100 HP.

It doesn't hurt to have a bonus against the cold wight armies in Dragon's Eye 3 either.

If you exclude TotL Burial Isle is the hardest part in the game, you have many hard fights against enemies which aren't even special and the rest of HoW is just a piece of cake afterwards.
    It's not that difficult any more if you get more experienced, but the other parts of the game are even easier.
    You'd rather want to memorize epic boss battles as challenges than a grave robbery excursion.

If you have a pure or dualclassed cleric who gains XP too fast (small party, other difficulty level than normal) there's of course no need to fight them, he can just turn the undead challenges the programmers set up for you.

There are many trolls in the game, but the only challenging fight involving trolls is in Dragon's Eye if you have HoW installed.

It's no mistake if you just make a roleplaying choice about the favored enemy.
    The bonusses are not high enough to make a big difference in gameplay anyway.

12. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Great reminder Klorox, how could I forget Trolls! :doh:

13. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

:rolleyes: You get a Long sword +1 on the first level of that Tomb. You can find a magic weapon on the Yeti Chieftain and a Mace+1 in the Yeti Cave. That's 3 magic weapons beside the dagger you can find in one of the tombs in the valley.

In Burial Island, you are already high enough in level to kill them easily with the Three White Dove mace or if you can cast fire based spells.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I always go for skeletal undead, because they are so prevalant - especially in the first few chapters of the game. I'd say cadaverous undead, but you see skellies a lot more often. I think it's a waste to use it on Orcs or Goblins because they're so effortless anyway, and on Giants because by the time you face them, the +1 to hit/damage from your racial enemy bonus doesn't help all that much.

Another bonus to the racial bonus vs. skeletal undead is their sheer numbers in game, combined with their fairly low HP. Killing them quickly isn't much of an issue when you're fighting one or two of them. Quick kills can mean life or death when fighting a large group, however.

I think the only other useful racial enemy bonus is vs. Trolls, but that's me.

15. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I think that "Death Rabbit's" analysis is VERY true. ;)
    Skeletal undead are the best choice, for the reasons exposed.
    (The vast numbers of special skeletons in specific zones of The Hand dungeons, for exemple, are a good exemple. You must kill , and kill fast ! The bonus of the ranger of the party are never to disdain, here).

Giants, ettins and/or cyclops :1eye: are slow, stupid, et so easy to arrow that they have no time to injury my vanguard of wolves, bears (or elementals, when middle level). I have near real shame to take theirs X.Pts. ! :o
    Trolls problem, in IWD, is not the difficult task to HIT them, but more to have the sufficient number of fire arrows or fire spells to despatch them with a "coup-de-grâce" [ en français dans le texte ! ] :D
    ( At low level in Dragon's Eye, fire disponibility is sometimes a problem if you dont sleep :sleep: enough ).
    Do not trolls more impressive that they are.

Note : I play IWD1, but I use no extensions of it. Perhaps that my advice is no more valid with extensions installed :hmm: I point out that.

[ October 21, 2006, 15:02: Message edited by: Cal Yhringlor ]

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I agree. Giants and Cyclops near the end of the game, man I do not even bother to fight them. I just cast a Disintegrate and/or Finger of Death after a Malison from support caster and they die. Easily. No needless blood shed. :shake: At that point your casters are so powerful that fighting is a last ressort. (well for me anyway)

17. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] :heh: :shame: ... Hey, shame on you, colleague wizard ! :lol: Respect the magic use !
    — No blood shed, OK, I agree, but with your heretic way of life, your are near-ready to release major magic on small gobelins with little axes, the path you take !

:money: Cheap monsters merit only cheap deaths (and cheap arrows, by the way) :2c:

On the other hand, dont ALWAYS insult them.

• Prove sometimes your sportive attitude with an occasional VampiricTouch ! ... or, if you feel yourself really warlike, remember that in IWD, there is (where, already ? ...) a +5 dagger (+5 to hit) [ its french name is "Fourreau d'Échines", (perhaps << Backs Scabbard >> or something so in english) ] :

• Then use it ! :smash:

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

:lol: Well, magic is far superior than the sword, in my games anyway. And resorting to use a PUNY dagger? No way. Only daggers I use are those which grant extra spell slots... :roll:

19. Cal Yhringlor Gems: 6/31

Strange.
    (vague unease).
    I am wizard in the soul, but ... :bs:
    ... i arrive to the opposite conclusion.

:nono:
    Humm ... I DISCARD spell-bonuses hand-arms (daggers, etc), because they inhibit the LIBERTY to use my sling, always in the 1rst slot of the 2.

In IWD I ressort use of spell-bonus arms only for a night ou two, to memorise more Identify spells when the treasure gathering is good (as in Ice Giants Cave, if you remember !).

Perhaps you dont fully realize the simultaneous firepower of 3 bows + 3 slings, used with clever judgment.

For me, all-magic tactics are good at HIGH LEVEL. In BG2 I love them, for exemple !
    But in IWD ...
    Mmm. I repeat i dont use IWD extensions, however.
    What think others players of our tactical differences ? :confused:

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stick to the topic please.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.