1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

favorite books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by The Fat Egg, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hey. I liked Harry Potter.
    Micheal Moorcock is awesome. So far I've only read 2 of his compiled works: Von Bek and Elric: Song of the Black Sword.
    The WOT series is another of my favourites. Robert Jordan's work is just amazingly detailed and atmospheric.
    I also liked Salvatore's 'Drizzt' books and Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords series and her 2 novels about the lovely drow Liriel (Viconia who?).
    David Eddings writes quite tame novels and you can almost predict his endings. However, his books make for great reading when you're ill and need to recuperate in bed.
    Terry Brooks writes beautifully, although I didn't like his first novel: Sword Of Shannara because it was a total LOTR rip-off. His series about the Knight of the Word are IMO one of the best.
    And I've had the bad fortune to browse through the first chapter of 'Baldur's Gate' . I'm still trying to get over the trauma.

2. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It took me three tries to get into The Hobbit, I first tried when I was 10, at that age it's difficult to understand what Tolkien is setting up with the "Unexpected Party". But, I pushed past this and it has opened up a vast world for my imagination. I've since read most of Tolkien's works as well as books from other excellent authors. Robert Jordan's Wheel of time is great thus far (I'm in the midst of The Path of Daggers), I've read the first three in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (I really like his style). Terry Brooks' Shannara series are also very good. David Eddings is one of my favorites, the stories move fast and almost everyone is a smartass of some sort. I've read only a few Dragonlance books (Dragons of Autumn Twilight trilogy) and Dragons of Chaos (which I am also reading at the moment. Robert E Fiest's Riftwar saga is also good. I've read a few of these numerous times now, and I'll probably still come back for more.

3. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

It took me three tries to get into The Hobbit, I first tried when I was 10, at that age it's difficult to understand what Tolkien is setting up with the "Unexpected Party". But, I pushed past this and it has opened up a vast world for my imagination. I've since read most of Tolkien's works as well as books from other excellent authors. Robert Jordan's Wheel of time is great thus far (I'm in the midst of The Path of Daggers), I've read the first three in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (I really like his style). Terry Brooks' Shannara series are also very good. David Eddings is one of my favorites, the stories move fast and almost everyone is a smartass of some sort. I've read only a few Dragonlance books (Dragons of Autumn Twilight trilogy) and Dragons of Chaos (which I am also reading at the moment. Robert E Fiest's Riftwar saga is also good. I've read a few of these numerous times now, and I'll probably still come back for more.

4. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31

Whoops, didn't think the first one went through.

5. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Anyone here read any of the Star Wars books?
    The x-wing trilogy is just oh so good....

The FR books which I have read pretty good as a whole, but i normally prefer read stuff like Tom Clancy or John Grisham.

6. hooligan_inc Guest

Tom Clancy's Patriot Games is brilliant
    The rest are pretty boring.

All of Alistair McLean's are good

Never cared for Star Wars or any Sci Fi

Dragonheart: The book of the film is the best book ever.

HG Wells' are all good.

So is Stephen Fry's book

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.