1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

favorite books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by The Fat Egg, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Lord Moeken - I did the exact same thing! I read the first 50 pages or so, then put it down. About 5-6 months later, I was in bed with a really bad flu/virus, and I started reading it again...Then I was hooked!

The Last book, "Path of daggers, was more of a set up book...There were a lot of things going on - I just found out the newest book came out last months...So hopefully it'll pick up again!

Overall it's very good and well worth the time it takes to read them!

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited December 12, 2000).]

2. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] WoT rocks!

Personally, I think that Path of Daggers is the slowest of the books, but you're right, it's a set-up book.

What do think of the fact that Faile has been taken, and now Berelain can have a chance at Perrin in his time of grief? (I haven't read Winter's Heart, you might know but I don't)

Personnally, I think that Jordan has taken this whole love thing with Berelain too far. Enough is enough. Maybe Perrin should split her skull with his ax.

3. Boon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The Wheel of Time series are good books especially in the sheer detial detail and consistancy of his world although I dont think he is so hot in character development.
    Has anyone read Bare faced Messiah a really good bit of non fiction about the life and lies of L Ron Hubbard.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Sapiryl - I just found out the newest book is out...Syl told in this thread. But I did order it from Amazon yesterday...So I should have it today or tomorrow.

I kind of liked the tension between the two, so I'm not in favor of the axe option :) But now I'm thinking I have to re-read Path of Daggers again, just to remember where it left off.

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

sorry it took so long for me to reply, i agree, the third mad max was a total piece of shit but the first two were great

6. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, I once again have begun the journey that is titled 'The Wheel of Time'

My first go around didn't go so well because I didn't really give it a chance. I do believe that I am beginning to enjoy the book this time around. Jordan does have a detailed writing style.

That's the funny thing about literature. I get used to certain styles and content, and then it's hard to deviate from this formula. I'm accustomed to orcs and fighters, not trollocs and warders. It is the small things that initially drag me into a story...

The smell of freshly baked bread or the slow roasted venison haunch sizzling over a fire. The description of a young, adolescent man as he clumsily weilds his fathers sword, showing faint glimmers of the mastery that is to evolve.

These small things add infinite enjoyment to the greater story. Just like icing on the cake. Gotta love it. :)

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited December 18, 2000).]

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey Lord Moeken - You trying to artificially raise your post count? ;)

You're in for a great read with the WoT; I especially enjoyed the first few...

So, has nobody but me read any of Dennis McKiernan?

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... OK then I bet I've got another great set that none of you have read:

The Riddlemaster of Hed (1976)
    Heir of Sea and Fire (1977)
    Harpist in the Wind (1979)

by Patricia A. McKillip

Here's an excerpt from the cover page of the first book:

"Suppose you were a wizard restless with power, drawn to Lungold by the powers of Ohm and his promises of great skill and knowledge. You placed your name in his mind; with your trust in his skill, you did without question whatever he asked of you, and in return he channeled your own energies into powers you scarcely dreamed you had.

"And then suppose, one day you realized that this wizard, whose mind could control yours so skillfully, was false to his teachings, false to you, false to every man, king, scholar, farmer that he had ever served. What would you do if you found that he had dangerous plans and terrible purposes... that the very foundations of his teachings were a lie? What would you do?"

Fantastic set! If I wasn't so far behind in my reading just now, I'd pick it up immediately for a thorough reread! :)

9. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Oh those books. The one with the great God of Resistance. :)

Just kidding, I haven't heard of them. You bring up a good point tho' Blackthorne TA, I sometimes can judge how much I enjoy a book by the number of times I read it. I have this book that I bought when I was in junior high called 'The Complete Enchanter' by L.Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt. I must have read this book about four times! I'll probably let it sit around for a few years then read it again.

Anyone else have some favorites that they've read several times?

BTW the book that I mentioned is fairly simple, but it has a really interesting premise. The main character has discovered mathematical equations that allow him to be transported to different threads of existence where the laws of the universe are different. (Magic Exists)The story carries him through the Lands of Norse Gods to legendary England and the Faerie Queen. Simple yet satisfying.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh! Ohm wasn't quite a god (much less of electrical resistance :) ), and his name was much worse... Lemme see if I can remember...

Ghisteslwchlohm I think... Maybe I'll check when I get home...

But, get this! Given that name and others just as bad (the wizards all had names like that) the books also had a character called "Iff of the unpronouncible name"! LOL! :)

11. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Feist and Tolkien are the only ones for me. Oh and have any of you read the Harry Potter books. They aren't that bad.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Haven't read Harry Potter, but my girlfriend likes 'em.

OK all you illiterates! Let's try this again... Some of you MUST have read Katherine Kurtz' Deryni series of books right? Throw me a bone here people! :)

13. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] i'm assuming that is a joke. i hev read one of the above books and harry potter, harry potter is a piece of crap, and I have under good authority that it's the first sign of the appocalypse. ;)

14. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

One of my favorite trilogies is the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Five university students drafted to save a world of magic and legend.

Another entertaining read is Stephen R. Donaldson's pair of Unbeliever trilogies. Where else can you find a protagonist who is a leper and a rapist? Kind of a difficult guy to relate to.

Doesn't compare to Tolkein, or even Jordan, but it's better than Harry Potter... ;)

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah! Donaldson! Very good for a guy whose protagonists are usually less than heroic... Did you read his Mordant's Need duology or his Gap series? I found Mordant's Need to be quite good... Gap... well, I think he should stick to fantasy settings; I found many of his SF premises too unbelievable (even silly).

OK, lets try a more recent novel... Have any of you read David Farland's "The Runelords"?

A very original premise! The rulers through the use of magic take "endowments" from other people (usually volunteers, but not necessarily). These "endowments" range from brawn to sight to metabolism. The endowments bestow enhancements to the rulers at the expense of those who gave them up.

For example, if a lord took an endowment of brawn from someone, that lord would have the strength of two, but the person who gave it up would no longer have the strength to even stand...

Very good story so far, but I've only got the first in the series...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 21, 2000).]

16. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I was only joking about Harry Potter you know.

17. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Here is something to try if you have all of the current WoT books (none missing) if you haven't noticed yet, there all thinner at the bottom than the top and they form a circle/wheel, it isn't anywher near complete yet, but it hopefully will.

Has anyone ever read the Dark Tower fantasy books (written by Stephen King), ihave just started reading Tolkien (almost done with the hobbit) and so far he is an extremely good writer.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Read the Dark Tower many a year ago; I don't read Stephen King, but my sister does and urged me to read it... Don't remember much about it now...

Hmmm... How about SF? Has anyone read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card? I thought the short story was much better than the novel, but perhaps that's because I read the short story first and thus knew what was going to happen...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 11, 2001).]

19. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I grew up reading Stephen King like crazy (read the short story "Survivor Type" from I think "Night Shift" or "Skeleton Crew" collections - makes that Tom Hanks "Cast Away" movie look like Club Med), but as I grew up, I found his writing increasingly so-so, even lowbrow and repititious. (I've also lost all respect for him from that online story fiasco - what a greedy dick; that guy should have hit him a little harder with his car, knocked some perspective into him).

But, to my suprise, I really liked the Dark Tower books. If you describe the elements of the story - cowboys and robots and dimensional portals and gas stations and wizards and talking choo-choo trains and man-eating lobsters - it sounds pretty corny, like a mishmash of goofy sci-fi cliches - but it suprisingly works. Best character: the legless black woman with the evil split personality (forget her name) crawling around in the dark with a knife between her teeth and murder on her mind. I only read the first two books though; never got to the third.

20. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] I also read a few of the Xanth novels when I was a teenager (remember one title off-hand: "Source of Magic"). Thought they were cute, but maybe a little too cute, with all the bad puns. Fir trees are furry, wishing wells make wishes, butterflies are margerine sticks with wings, jumpropes jump around - not literally those things, but things just like that. Cutesy plays on words. Fun, but they get old kinda quick.

[This message has been edited by Neverworlder (edited January 11, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.