1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fantasy Football NFL

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

http://www.blazinbeverage.com/

There it is in it's full glory. My problem thus far is inconsistency, no player on my team has been for both the weeks. I'm sure Turner and Wayne will provide that, but the rest of the team are wildcards.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    2-0-1 this past weekend.

My three fantasy teams are now:

3-0
    2-1
    1-1-1 (very symmetrical)

I also pulled off a trade this week in my 3-0 league. My receivers there were making me nervous - Colston, Marshall, Breaston, Holt. I found a guy who wanted Fred Jackson - he thinks he won't see a significant decrease in work once Lynch comes back this week, so I traded him Jackson and Holt for McFadden and Driver.

Obviously, the value of that deal depends entirely on how much Fred Jackson continues to play in the weeks ahead. Driver is definitely better than Holt, and while Jackson without Lynch around is better than McFadden, if Jackson sees a decrease in carries (which I feel is almost certain once Lynch comes back), then McFadden may be OK.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Finally got the win, even it was fairly unimpressive. Boldin, Wayne, and Burleson all produced for over 10 points, meaning I have the production from my WR that I want (including a monster day for Wayne). McFadden needs to pick it up for me to have success though, as my backups are Bradshaw and D. Brown (Colts). The backups are getting yards, but without TD production I'm scared to start them.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Who's your other starting RB? I cannot imagine you drafted Bradshaw and Brown with the intent that they be starting RBs. I nabbed Coffee off the waiver wire, so good times.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Michael Turner was my first pick so I'm comfortable at one spot.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Alright, I get it now - Turner is on a bye, and that's why you have problems.

I have bye/injury problems as well, especially in one league where I have DeAngelo Williams (bye), Westbrook (bye) and Barber (hurt, but I have Felix Jones, but he's hurt too). I don't know WTF I'm going to do there. I basically have conceded that I will need to put a WR in my flex spot (I'm OK with that as I have Colston, Marshall and Driver), but I literally do not know if I will have two healthy backs to put in. I carry six RBs on my team - the five I listed and Jonathan Stewart, who is also on a bye. The strategy looked sound in the beginning - I figured I'd have to start both Barber and Jones this week, and have clear sailing the rest of the way. And there is absolute crap on the waiver wire.

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I hate the waiver wire. Whenever I don't need something there is quality available, but if I do need it... nothing.

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Thank you Rams. Because of their efforts the 49ers DST got 42 points securing the win.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    In all likelihood I'm going to end up 2-1 for the week, although I won't know officially until after tonight's game.

In the league with the RB issues, it didn't turn out TOO bad because Barber ended up playing. However, that's the league I anticipate losing, unless Donald Driver puts up almost 30 points tonight.

In my other league, I'm behind by 3 points, I have also have Driver yet to play in that league as well as Mason Crosby (Packers kicker), and my opponent is playing the Packers defense. I'm actually fairly confident in this game, despite the three points to make up. I'd rather be in the position I'm in than the position my opponent is in.

Finally, the league I'm in best shape in I have a 10-point lead, and have Ryan Grant going tonight, while my opponent has Percy Harvin. It's a tough matchup, but even if Grant only gives me like 5 points, it should be enough, even if Harvin scores a TD.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

All tied up going into tonight. I have Driver, my opponent has Shiancoe at TE. Come on Donald!

2-1 so far, lost last week, after posting some serious trash talk to boot! :(

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It went as I predicted (although the Packers scoring a defensive TD did give me a scare). So now I'm 3-1 in two leagues, and 2-1-1 in the other.

Blades - haven't you played 4 games now? How can you be 2-1?

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

We still had players going last night. The Shiancoe TD did me in though, so now I'm 2-2. Driver was only 4-55. no TDs. Brees has got a total of 5.5 points(We use .5 points per reception in our scoring system) for me in the last 2 weeks and I have had Big Ben on my bench. He really is having a nice year, I think I will start playing him.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Seeing as how Brees has a bye next week, you definitely should consider playing Big Ben. However, unless the matchup is really unfavorable for Brees (this past week qualified), you really cannot sit Brees. Last week was one of the rare instances where I would have advocated it because Brees had a bad matchup, while Big Ben had a good one. This week also is a decent week to start Big Ben, because he plays the Browns. Going forward though, I cannot see you using Big Ben as a regular starter over Brees.

14. Blades of Vanatar

I don't know, it looks like the Steelers are going the way of the Pass, which menas lots of numbers for Ben. He really has put up some nice numers so far this year, though sacks are a -1 pt in our league. I really didn't think the Jets D was that good and that Brees would of had a nice game, they surprised me. But I think I am going with Ben, a gut move, until Brees puts up some numbers again.Ben is more consistent.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Have you watched the Jets yet this year? Their defense is very good. Heck, 14 of the 24 points the Saints scored were defensive TDs. They shut down Houston (their D stinks but they have a good offense). They shut down the Patriots (good offense). They shut down the Saints (very good offense). What more do you want man?

16. Blades of Vanatar

Oh, no, I 'm not saying they aren't good, they are. Really good. It just surprised me they shut down New Orleans. I thought New Orleans' offense was better than that, that's all. Apparently, I was wrong. That was their defining moment so far and I am now on their bandwagon.

Going with Ben is one of those moves that makes or breaks your season. Every league that i have won, i have made the move to play the player that isn't the big name, but got me the points i needed when it counts. Gut moves win fantasy leagues, if your only playing in one league. When I used to run in several leagues, then I would play it by the percentages, that way you improve your chances of winning in at least one of them.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Like I said - it all comes down to the matchup. You definitely play Ben this week - and he has several other juicy matchups on his schedule. The Steelers haven't played the Browns yet, so there's two games right there. They also have the cover-your-eyes awful Chiefs and Raiders on the schedule this year. Going with Ben during those weeks (especially if Brees is playing someone like the Vikings) just makes sense. However, the Saints have yet to play the Bucs - and they get them twice. Passing Brees by with a matchup like that is just silly, especially if the Steelers are against the Ravens (who they also have yet to play, but will play twice).

And sometimes, you have to play a guy even if he has a bad matchup, owing to bye weeks, or lack of other reasonable plays. I'll give an example with one of my teams for each of the last two weeks. My receivers are Colston, Houshmandzadeh, Driver, Smith (NYG version), and Lee Evans, and I needed to start three. None of them were on byes this past week, so all of them were available. Colston had far and away the toughest matchup, but I still felt like he was one of my three best plays. I went with Colston, Driver, and Smith.

This week, I'm in a similar boat in that both Driver and Colston have byes. The only receivers left on the roster are Housh, Evans, and Smith, so I have to play them. (Although I am so disappointed in Lee Evans, I but a waiver claim in for Kenny Britt of the Titans, and will probably use him if it goes through. Evans is averaging just 37 yards per game with one TD on the season.)

18. Blades of Vanatar

I hear ya Aldeth. Normally, when I have a player as good as Brees, I prefer to stick with him for all 16 of his games. Even against tough defenses, he has put up some good numbers in the past. The last 2 weeks have been disappointing though. New Orleans should of still scored more offensely vs the NYJ. But Ben is rolling along nicely as well. I will definitely play Brees when Pitt meets Baltimore, but when both have chances to score, I am going to go with Ben. Again, just my gut feeling he will put up the bigger numbers. We'll see, but I think this year I will be "Rolling the Dice".

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Injuries and bye weeks have crippled my team. I'm starting the freakin' wide receiver from the Browns. Massauqui or something like that. I hate fantasy football sometimes.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I went 1-2 this weekend. My three teams all have winning records - barely. Two of them are 3-2, and one of them is 3-1-1.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.