1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fantasy Football NFL

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wayne will be the best WR this year. Gonzalez going down will mean he well get more Peyton missles coming his way. Turner will get loose, causing alot of opposing defenses to cry. If Atlanta's defense solidifies into something real this year, watch our for them. Ryan is efficient. With a nice power run game, they will control the clock, alot like the Giants and the Vikes. But Atlanta will have trouble against teams that go up big on them early in the game. I don't see the comeback capability in that offense.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The other thing I thought about Indy was that Dallas Clark should have a monster year. That didn't happen in the first game, even though Gonzalez was out from the end of the first quarter. You would think that Clark would be his second most reliable target.

In better news, I avoided the trifecta by pulling out a win in at least one of the leagues. No TDs from Gates and McFadden, and LT only scored once. (Thank you Sproles, for vulturing the game winning score.)

I'm really not that upset with any of my teams' performances. It was a stoke of bad luck that all three opponents had the Eagles defense last week, and the odds of me encountering another situation where all of my opponents are starting the same player who has a monster week are probably rather low. In the three leagues (we use standard scoring), my opponents scored 126, 118, and 112 points. It's really not that surprising that I was only able to win one of those games (against the one that scored 118).

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Aldeth, a few years back, I had Barry Sanders score 3 TDs and rush for 212 yds. He wasn't even close to my opponent James Stewart of Jacksonville, who rushed for over 100 yds, but scored 5 TDs, against my Eagles to boot! That is what is great about Fantasy leagues, you can have a really nice week and still get crushed. It's nice when your NOT the guy playing the Eagles/Brees every week.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Ugh... Lineup decision time. In a not-so-typical occurrence, I may actually be starting all three of my backup QBs this week - and doing so by choice (none of my starters are injured).

In two of my three leagues, I drafted Matt Schaub as my starting QB. Schaub has a tough matchup against the Titans (in Tennessee) this week, and I'm a little nervous about starting him after his less than steller performance in week 1. While I am not one to jump away from my starters after one poor outing, the backups for those teams are viable options. I have Hasselbeck in the one league playing at San Francisco, and in the other league I have Jason Campbell, who I am only considering starting because the Redskins host the crummy Rams this week.

The other league is a bit of a harder choice, because while I have two sub-standard QBs on my roster, they both have favorable matchups. I drafted David Garrard as my starter, and they host Arizona this week, and my backup is the aforementioned Campbell hosting the Rams.

5. Blades of Vanatar

Aldeth - No way would I play Schaub this week. Your Garrard/Campbell dilema is a toss up. I think Garrard has more potential though. Campbell is a role-player only, he won't be throwing for 300+ or 4 TDs in any game. Garrard "could" put up big numbers against Arizona.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, how about running backs then? I am definitely starting DeAngelo Williams, and I cannot sit Fred Jackson after his stellar performance last week in New England (this week Buffalo hosts the Bucs, so fantasy goodness there). I have three options for my Flex spot. I could start Slaton, but that's the same lousy matchup against Tennessee which completely shut down Pittsburgh's running game last week. The other two are time-share backs: LenDale White and Derrick Ward.

In the thrid league I have a question with WRs. Since I'm starting a RB as my flex, I only need to pick two WRs. I have Randy Moss, and he's a no-brainer. But I have to decide between the two Jacksons: Vincent and DeSean. Vincent has a terrible matchup against the Ravens, while DeSean has an excellent matchup against the Saints, but I have very little confidence in McNabb playing, and I have no reason to place any trust in either Kolb or Garcia (who had not seen an Eagles playbook for a couple of years before Tuesday).

7. Blades of Vanatar

LenDale is a definite against Houston.

Vincent Jackson is Rivers #1 WR, go with him. With LT having a bad ankle(I'm not playing him this week), They will throw more or risk losing Sproules to the Raven's Montrosity of a Defense. Jackson has potential to get a score or alot of yards. Your right, I don't like the Eagles pass game without McNabb, he's the lynch pin in that offense. Garcia will need more time and Kolb has trouble throwing the ball downfield.

I have the RB dilema too. LT, Parker, LJ and Stewart. I need to only play 2, so who do I use this week? I think Parker andn LJ. Having Brees sucks, since they are playing my Birds. But I will use him, as they are vulnerable to the big play. 200+ and 2 TDs would be nice, anymore is a bonus. Otherwise I have Big Ben....

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    LT might not even play, and even if he does, he won't do well at less than 100% against the Ravens, so he's out of consideration.

Stewart is also banged up, so you have to go with Parker and LJ by default.

And you have to play Brees over Big Ben.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Crap, McNabb is making a bid to play this week and I already turned my pool in. I got a trade offer yesterday. They are offering up Brady, Welker and Portis for Brees, Tony Gonzalez and LT. I hate when people do this. I am not usually a trader in Fantasy. I don't think I will do this. I don't need WRs, I like all three of my guys better than what's offered. Though Portis/LT is pretty even in my book. Welker doesn't score TDs and I think TG will have a big year in ATL. Brady could match Brees, but I doubt he will this year.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, that decision comes down to how healthy LT stays this year. Seeing as how he is already hurt, I don't know how confident you can be. If LT is hurt most of the year, it's a steal.

I also like the deal because tight ends are so deep this year, that you can probably snag a good one off the waiver wire. See Carlson, Shockey, Watson. In fact, seeing as how you are in an eight team league, all those guys are likely available. I think TE is one position where you can trade a stud and get slightly less production elsewhere.

With a glut of TEs, and LT possibly not producing much, you're basically trading Brees for all three of those guys.

11. Blades of Vanatar

You could be right about LT, but I thnk Gonzalez is going to have a monster year in Atlanta. He is their best target. I don't think any of the other non-drafted TE's can come close to him. Plus, I'm not a hundred percent sure on Brady coming back strong, though the potential is obviously there. I have already tuned it down with no counter offer. In my experience in Fantasy, whether it's football or baseball, I have always regretted the few trades I made, no matter how nice they initially looked. Call it bad luck I guess.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I still say LT is the basis for whether or not it's a good trade. Brady-Welker-Portis is better than Brees-Gonzo-LT, if LT isn't healthy, but it's worse if LT is healthy.

I made a couple of last minute changes to my lineup with out-friggin'-standing results. I did start Shaub (4TDs, over 300 yds passing) so I won those two leagues, and in the one league I didn't have Schaub, I did have Chris Johnson, so I won all three. (And I played the guy who had Frrank Gore - so that guy lost even though he scored 128. I have 155 with Clark still to play tonight.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Well, Brees outscored Brady-Portis-Welker all by himself. That makes me feel better. My Opponent this week Started G.Jennings and Welker at WR. A big fat 0 for him. Nice! Didn't matter though, as my team is trounced the opponent for the 2nd week, even with W.Parker, LJ and Dallas defense in m lineup. We are all friends or family in this league, so the commish, my nephew, changed my opponetns team name from "Bosco Buttkickers" to "Gotma Buttkickered". Hilarious! Gonzo scored another TD too, I am liking him in ATL. Their offense is looking balanced.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, yeah, that's how it worked out the first two weeks of the season, but do you really think Brees is going to keep up this pace? He has nine passing TDs in his first 2 games - that puts him on pace for 72 for the season, which IMO, would be pretty miraculous, but hardly likely.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Of course not, but one can dream, can't he? Even 45 would be nice! But, I'll settle for 30 something. Still, after watching the Pats, I think Brady's value could be lowered, his teammates are not up to par so far. They got lucky week one. So, I definitely feel better not pulling the trigger now. Also Portis's value is not as high so far, Washington has no offense. They couldn't put up double digits vs. the Rams? Pathetic... they should be calling for Zorn's job. Plus, LT will be back and I won't have to worry about him meeting the Ravens again! He always comes thru with one or two really big games, that is all I will need from him. Any extra are a bonus.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's getting ugly over at Blazin Beverages... Oh well.

17. Blades of Vanatar

:confused:

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

That's my team name, inspired by a high school teacher's investment failure in a fairly worthless invention.

And my team is 0-2 and have only managed about 85 points per week.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Gothca. My team name is "My 2 Favorite Nieces". I have 2 nephews, who both play in our league. I'm sure they love my team name.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I have three team names.

One is, obviously, The Foppish Idiots, with the logo the picture of my avatar.

Then there is The Jackson 4, based on having 4 guys named Jackson on the team, with the team logo a picture of a MJ Thriller action figure.

Finally, there is Bedhead, with the team logo of my son who just woke up with hair pointing in all directions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.