1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fantasy books......any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Satiana Fearbringer, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What about the DUNE books? It has to stack up with Lord of the Rings as the most innovative, genre defining book in its class.

I also agree 100% with the idea that "Robert Jordan is either a money grabbing bastard or has lost the plot totally!"

I finished the Fart of Winter, and although the plot moved one or two steps forward, it was still pretty much a waste.

Blackthorn - Are you saying that most of these books are modern "pulp-fiction"?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] No, what I'm saying is that "true" Science Fiction readers abbreviate it SF not Sci-Fi... :)

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I think we've been brain washed by the Sci-Fi channel on that one! The damage may be beyond repair! ;)

4. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Witch???? Who are you calling a witch Viking!!! :mad:

And I've said it before but I'll say it again... THE LORD OF THE RINGS WAS A BORING SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Cerryl (edited April 11, 2001).]

5. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Hey lighten up Cerryl, the reference was only to be read in conjunction with the charge of herresy, which I seem to recall they burnt witches for back in the good old days.

If you're in doubt, Cerryl, I accept your rightful place as a wizard albeit white not black. Still, a good guy in a bad world I think. :)

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Cerryl, you have to keep in mind that when the Lord of the Rings was written, there was no fantasy. Tolkien didn't have Monster Manuals to draw ideas from. He was innovating! Drawing from old fireside tales of trolls and goblins, he created a genre.

Yeah, he lacks the flash and steel that modern SF excels in. But he makes up for it in depth!

Get the books on tape and go through the story again. Just like the tales he drew from, the Lord of the Rings was meant to be spoken, not read.

Maybe I love it so much because my first exposure to fantasy was having the Hobbit read to me when I was little.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm not so sure there wasn't fantasy. At least they had fairy tales.

But Tolkien made a new genre of it. A party of chars that walked into adventures which gave idea for RPGs!

Hail Tolkien!

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I forgot to add:

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

This is the story of a farm girl who enlists in the army, and is slowly but surely transformed into an ideal paladin.

It is intruging to see how Moon incorporates the standard 1st Edition AD&D traits of a paladin into her story.

This is actually a trilogy contained on one volume. Good news: She can't pull a Robert Jordon, the series is done. Bad news: She can't pull a Robert Jordon, the series is done. :p

9. Cerryl Gems: 9/31

Actually Mathetais, Moon has continued her series. I haven't read them myself but there is another series set in the same world but some years after.

Also Cerryl was a GREY wizard not a white one.

And with this Tolkein thing. I LIKED The Hobbit, I just felt that The Lord of The Rings was trying to create a plot to follow on from The Hobbit where there wasn't really anything left to fill in an follow on from.

ARRRRGH...I'm a Tasloi Helper!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Cerryl (edited April 12, 2001).]

10. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31

I knew Moon did a prequel trilogy to Deeds in which she explained how a peasent became a God but I didn't know she had done anything after Deeds.

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

For your DON'T READ list, make sure you avoid Rhapsody. That was the biggest waste of paper that I've ever encountered.

BIG PLOT SPOILER

They're stuck in a magic tree the whole #*$&#@$ book!!! :mad:

12. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

about G.R.R.Martin - "Fevre Dream" is superb. If U have a chance to read it, dont miss it.Martin is phenomen in our times. U may like to visit this board:
    http://pub26.ezboard.com/basoiaf
    Also for the book-lovers, U may visit
    http://www.baen.com
    there is a free library, also webscribtion, U may buy 4-5 books for $10 few months before the books hit the market.Some of the writers visit the Bar.
    Zelazny is one of my all time favorites. After Amber, "Lord Demon" is my most readed.
    Anne McCafrey's Pern books are pretty good.
    Ursule LeGuin's "The left Hand of the Darkness" is must in SF, as Earthsee in F.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Wait, lemme copy this all down. I only read Agatha Christie and Forgotten Realms right now. I just hit a back issue bonzana, Azure Bonds, Shadowdale, Tantras, Prophet of Moonshaes, Chaos Curse and Tangled Webs. all for $2, except Tangled webs. Lord of the rings is only the 3 books that (was it BTA or someone else...) were mentioned to me right? I came across all this other "The road" and "Creation of Middle Earth" stuff, this isn't part of it is it?

14. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Lord of the Rings:

1. The fellowship of the ring
    2. The two towers
    3. The return of the King

Each is actually split into two books, and I've seen them under separate cover, but don't think they had different names. Just part one or two of each of the above.

Of the other stuff I've only read Silmarillion, which I'll only recomend if you *really* like the middle earth setting.

15. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am missing the name of David Eddings in this topic because he's my all time second (to JRRT) in creating a huge world worked out from genesis to whatsoever. Mallorea stands in its diversity very close to Middle Earth.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.