1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout: PoS2 news

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by Aikanaro, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

using the old graphic would force bethesda to make a new engine, which cost a fair bit, while using the oblivion engine wouldnt. regardless of what they choose they would still have to make complete new animations of basically everything.
    Secondly making a game for hardcore fallout nerds who nevertheles would never be pleased dosn't make money, their simply arent that many. and if it had as outdated graphic as the old fallout games had, it would not attract new players.

what they could do is then make a new engine that used the isometric view that fallout had, but does games hardly sell today, not with NWN2, Kotor and so on haven proved that you can make great rpg's in full 3D.

So frankly beteshda can and should for a large part ignore the silly demands from old fallout fans, and focus on bringing a solid story to life. and honestly lets not judge the game even before thier is anything but an interview out about it.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, they wouldn't need to make a whole new engine - I bet they could pick the old Fallout one up from Interplay at bargain prices. And if they're reusing the graphics they can reuse the animations as well. Then they only have to create whatever new things they want to add to the game - in the same way that Fallout 2 did it...

I think you underestimate how popular Fallout is. Ten years ago, Fallout sold a good number of copies - enough to warrent making a sequel and several spinoffs. Since then it's been been downloaded a very great deal of times (not to be unexpected for a famous game that keeps topping lists and is mentioned in lots of articles). NMA recently reported that Fallout was downloaded over a billion times last year acording to someone or other - and while I think that figure might be a bit excessive, it does go to show that the game is popular.

New players could be attracted simply through the name 'Bethesda' - but new players aren't really needed. There are enough people out there who would buy this game that it would be profitable given a low budget.

Edit: Now for something that's slightly hopeful: http://www.ashleycheng.com/2007/01/fallout-revisited.html
    So there's someone on the Fallout 3 team that seems to have a clue. Still, I doubt that his voice will carry too much weight over the corporate sort who will probably want to get rid of elements that aren't moron friendly...)

[ January 25, 2007, 04:50: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

3. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

taken from your own link, you still think a game with almost ten year old graphic would sell today, when they admit it back then wasn't a commerciel success? somehow i feel you do, mainly because you wont smell reality. but guess what any developer wont think so.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Er, except that he's wrong and it was a commercial success. What - you think they'd make a sequel and two spinoffs to a game that flopped?

I'll get back to you when I have some facts (will probably need to ask on a Fallout forum), but I think we can be pretty certain that it wasn't the dismal failure that people keep saying. Besides, the audience for Fallout didn't stop growing when it went out of print - it just stop being recorded. The Fallout fanbase isn't shrinking...

Anyway - it's not like I think that using the original graphics is a necessary thing, I just believe that it's a viable option. I'd even be okay with it in 3D - but isometric is a must.

5. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I would have liked to have seen the original graphics again. Most important, though, is the system. SPECIAL, isometric views, turn-based combat are all essential, as is Fallout's ability to have multiple solutions and endings to everything, as well as making decisions that actually have some effect, and that you can see making an impact in the world around you. There should be dialogue trees, none of the dialogue wiki nonsense that Oblivion and Morrowind have, and the dialogue should actually feel involving. I don't care that you avoid mudcrabs whenever you see one, but I do care that, unless someone does something, the Vault in which I grew up in will die, or that Tandi has been captured by raiders, or anything else you would like to lift from the game. Any different map system would be a change for the worse also. I can see Bethesda wanting to show off their shiny new desert terrain, and endless wasteland, but why would that be an improvement over what we already had?

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Nicely said, Warrior of the World. A 3D isometric view would have been the choice. You just cannot go into the depths necessary for a real Fallout game with an Oblivion look-a-like. I am afraid that they will just make another Action CRPG in the Fallout world. We will see soon enough when they publish information about the game, I suppose.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You can compare Fallout with System Shock 2 I think. Both have an incredible loyal fan base, both have cult status beyond measuring. When you look how much attention Bioshock is getting now, I would say you can count on the same thing when information is released on Fallout 3.

The thing is that it is widely agreed upon that fallout is essentially the following aspects:

Isometric view (3d is perfectly fine, necessary even)
    SPECIAL system
    Turnbased
    Great plot and dialogue
    Mature atmosphere

Without these things you can still make a suberb game, but you shouldn't call it Fallout 3. Call it anything with fallout in the name, but not the 3.

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

1,165,564,987 times... that's just... that's huge. :eek:

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

It's also very probably not true, just look at the difference between the number one and two. That's a whole lot.

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I'm a big Fallout fan. I've been playing both games for years now. I bought the first when it came (fell?) out, I had played a demo and I fell in love with it.
    I was a student at that time and I didn't have much money (I was broke really) but I bought it anyway and I never regretted it.

These games are fantastic because of the things that have already been mentioned in this thread: humour, turn based (no hectic action, you can plan your actions in battle) and a really great story (after years of playing both games I was still finding new stuff because of different characters, quests etc). I have two copies of both games (I'm just that crazy about Fallout).

The great thing is that it is one of the few games that you can complete with a diplomat or even a non violent character (without killing anyone! except for Horrigan in F2 although you don't even have to take a shot at him!)

I still believe that F1 was better because F2 was released in a hurry and you had to patch it. F2 had some improvements though and was much bigger. I can't even start to imagine how good it could be with the technology we have now... This game could be huge!

I have misgivings though but I keep my fingers crossed and pray that they manage to pull it off. I've played Morrowind and even though it's enjoyable it bears little in common with Fallout (except for the non linearity).

My fear is that we will get some nice 3D effects and sceneries but no storyline and no fallout style dialogue... And that's not what Fallout is about. Great visuals would be cool but the story and the lines are the most important things.

13. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Fallout (and II) are my favourite games. I still have both of them. And I've played through each of them multiple times. Plenty of humour, and plenty of gore in the games, and a good system of character creation (SPECIAL) and a great combat system. It was - and still is - an RPGers dream.

Unfortunately, I think porting the next Fallout to a console would be absolutely destroying it. I would much rather see it die than keep going. Unless someone can keep it the way it is. The fans at NMA http://www.nma-fallout.com, is a massive place, and the fans there are STILL making mods for the Fallout games.

It would be like the difference between the Infinity Engine and the Aurora Engine. Sure, Aurora has far better graphics. But, that was never the point. Fallout fans aren't in it for the graphics. Because the graphics on the original Fallout games are nowhere near fantastic, and the fanbase for it still huge.

I still prefer BG/IWD to NWN. Simply because the games aren't 'dumbed down' for a larger audience. BG provided HUGE amounts of background knowledge from the Realms (Bhaal's entire story).

But, then you look at BG: Dark Alliance for the consoles. Sure, they're great games in themselves, but, compared to the PC versions, they've got nothing.

As Apeman said, they shouldn't call the next Fallout, 'Fallout 3', because it's not going to be the same. Using the Morrorwind system is NOT Fallout. That makes it an FPS/RPG. And, quite frankly, Morrorwind isn't that great (it's my opinion)

Basically, I think he just said "Yeah, it's going to be completely different to the original Fallout/s, but there'll be plenty of blood". (The 'Bloody Mess' perk will still be there, so, one can assume some sort of gore).

And we all know how 12 year-olds love their simple games with plenty of blood. In my eyes, Fallout '3', will be fantastic as a FPS/RPG, but, as a 'Fallout' game, it wont hold a candle.

14. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Since I haven't played Oblivion, is it something like Vampire: Bloodlines - The Masquerade? That game worked as a pretty good RPG, but it was a bit too combat oriented (even though the story was great).

15. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Similar in that they're both first person RPGs, yes. But the mechanics are completely different, of course.

16. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

world population in july 2006 6,525,170,264 (July 2006 est.)
    people who apperently downloaded fallout 1,165,564,987, thats over 1/6 of the worlds population, somehow i doubt this number :rolleyes:

i for one will wait with judgeing the game untill its out and i have tried it. it could end as a morrowind, beautifull but to open for my stile or it could end as newerwinter nights, different then what I wanted coming from baldurs gate, but great none the less.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I need to vent some more fanboy needs for fallout 3 here, I can't really help it.

I think Desslock said this one time and he is a 100% right on this one: It ain't fallout unless you can kick a rat in the groin!

Oh and Ron Perlman must do the narration :cool:

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If anyone misses Fallout, why not play Shadowrun on the Megadrive/Genesis and the SNES (as both versions are very different)?

19. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Cúchulainn, Shadowrun is/was great. Granted, I played it on the SNES. Ah well. And I've got lots of Shadowrun Books from waaay back.

20. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

shadowrun rocked (played the snes version) i loved the story and the way combat worked, the targeting and that you hired mercenaries etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.