1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout pnp rpg

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ironbeard, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was once going to use Open RPG but the game never got off the ground

2. Cypheriel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Actually almost all the RPG books I've read suggest that you make characters together as a group to prevent skill over lapping and I don't seee it as min/maxing. though when people start min maxing stats so that the group as a whole has 10 in each stat or 18 in D&D case that is min max my intent wasn't to make a "winning" team but more of a group that compliments each other instead of all of us having the same skills cause considering our characters are the ones chosen out of the entire village to find a new place to settle I'd doubt they send all the same type of people with the same skill set, anyways It seems we only have 3 people left after the week of complications and what not it seems that only aiko, nocture and myself are the only one posting/playing still oh and Ironbeard ya I got open RPG its awesome and I think idea for a game like fallout who's system is based on hexes and what not

3. Bumbaclott Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Hmm.. Not surprisingly, that's kinda what happened with the Ravenloft campaign I was supposed to play. Perhaps OpenRPG has that 'slacky' effect to it.. We'll see, I guess. heehee!

On a better note.. I've had ideas swimming around in my head since last night for these adventures.. I was considering Canada and Russia as settings to spice things up a little.. but I've NOT been to both countries, and know very little about the asthetics of both places.. So I'll be staying in the "United States" for this one.. (oh well) I would like to steer clear of the California area however, and I'd like to know what you all think about it. This would mean me making quite a few maps, NPCs, and so forth.. but I find that to be one of the most entertaining/rewarding parts of role-playing.

I know it's slightly unorthadox to ask a question like this to the people that I am attempting to play with.. but, what areas of the country to the EAST of California (past the Great Wastes) would you like to see in this adventure? To keep it nice and ruley of course, I won't actually disclose my final decision, but I'd REALLY appreciate your opinions..

If you want to chit-chat with me about this kinda stuff, or anything else for that matter, you can reach me on ICQ and MSN the easiest.. I think I might've given it out already but my ICQ# is 37767708 and my MSN name is stiff_tongue@msn.com (perverted, I know..) You can reach me just as easily through my email address if neither of the other choices suit you.. nordmann@tds.net

I'm excited about finally getting a chance to flex my GM muscles with this game system, as the series is still one of my favorites, to this day. Realistically it will be a week or two before I'm ready to play, but I just want ensure quality of gaming, so that I don't waste all of your time.

well.. that was a long one. (ACK! I've become "the windbag" of the board..) Someone tie my hands behind my back so I quit typing so damned much!

OH CYPHERIEL! You sneaky devil.. posting while I'm typing. Good point. I would have to agree there that it wouldn't be considered min/max'ing.. especially in a Vault situation. They would most likely pick and choose about the skills of the team, as a whole.. ESPECIALLY if venturing outside.. so yeah.. point taken.. ;)

[ March 31, 2003, 11:43: Message edited by: Bumbaclott ]

4. Cypheriel Gems: 1/31

uh so wait are you Ironbeard another role player to join the game or a DMing setting up another game oh ya and fyi if yous ee that likke location word downt here says Canada so I can help you out in that respect and I have also seen some play by posts fallout RPG played in Canada and I think it might have been mentioned in the fallout bible any ho ttyl

5. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Just downloaded open-RPG. I'll need some time to get used to it though. Certainly beats my idea of drawing everything out on graph paper and describing it, or e-mailing crude MS-paint maps to the players. I'll try to keep my game going, but I don't know if it'll work (first time GM and all).

6. Bumbaclott Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] ..in response to Cyph's question.. I'm another player who has a good amount of experience as a GM. (DM.. whatever you prefer) But I want to keep it stressed that I've never even played Fallout PnP before, so I really need to learn the system on the fly.

I'm also in the process of creating cheat sheets to make gameplay a tad smoother. I'll try to work out one for the GM and one for the players. Not knowing much about actually PLAYING the game myself, comments would be appreciated in the terms of things that you find yourself looking for in the handbook a lot while playing.. certain modifiers you need to remember, important tables.. anything you can think of that fits the criteria of common "annoyance".

I think this might be one of the problems with getting a game going and keeping it that way, it turns everyone off if it trudges along.

(Unless you're into PBEMs.. which I suppose I'm not.. :D ;) )

Anywho.. I THINK I've decided on a location for my first stab at an adventure. My little brother likes it, and he's always picking apart everything I do, so RIGHT ON!

(I just realized a twelve-year-old has been patronizing me.. excuse me)

[Oooh! OOOOoooh! EDIT/UPDATE]
    I've made a nice step with the story, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to start thinking about characters if you're interested in playing. All you need to know SO FAR is that the story opens in a Vault, so all characters should be created as such. (Human.. and not bandits..) I'd like to make a point here that seedy characters CAN live in Vaults. ESPECIALLY if they are part of a generation born and raised there.. As far as we know, they don't make a habit of kicking people out of the Vaults just for being hustlers or gamblers. So to be realistic about it, I don't mind that type of (quasi-negative) attitude for a Vault-dwelling character. Nothing says that they never have problems with people playing craps for rations and so forth. (just to keep our options open.. It'd be boring to have a team full of complete and total goody-goodies, no?)

I like how it's going up to this point, and I can only hope that me learning the game mechanics will go as smoothly. :p :cool:

[ April 01, 2003, 11:46: Message edited by: Bumbaclott ]

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, well everytime I play I find myself skimming the rulebook looking for what I need, as I don't realy know the rules very well

8. Cypheriel Gems: 1/31

*crackes his knuckes* oh where to begin:
    Action point costs in combat to hit formulas Range tables though I think weapon condition rules are STUPID why does a weapon loose condition if it MISSES I rarely see a sword fall apart after 10 swing hitting air or instant death critical maybe stats of standard weapons used in the game, maybe modifers for other things, like sneaking in dark light etc

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

I agree that that rule seems a bit odd, but it does give a purpose to having the repair skill. I think the idea is to represent the degradation of a weapon in a way that isn't too tedious and makes it afunction of repeated use and low weapon skill (Using your example, a swordsman who misses a lot is likely also a swordsman who forgets to regularly sharpen his sword - or makes a bad job of it, lets it get rusty etc.)We could always implement house rules based on common agreement - of course that might cause serious balance problems...

10. Bumbaclott Gems: 1/31

The following is an excerpt from an old argument I had over ICQ with a fellow player in a WebRPG-based game. I felt it ultimately similar to the question of how important weapon condition is or is not. This was related to a GURPS game with a Wasteland-esque setting.. (Sorta like Fallout.. but not really..) Anyhow.. here's the relevent part..

[ME]
    In reference to guns and the like requiring repair, that is something that is probably UNDER-exaggerated a little in this case. The post-apocolyptic setting alone renders the gun "well-aged" making time a factor when considered in conjunction with things like water/condensation leading to rust and just other off-chance possibilities.

[COMPLAINING-PLAYER]
    What do you mean by off-chance?

[ME]
    (ie..) A Remington double-barrel lies forgotten on a cave floor. Its owner, long dead and withered by the passage of time, lies dually forgotten, a few feet away on the same floor. After a century or more of slumber, the cave suddenly jars back to life with the groaning rumble of a nearby earthquake. After about 30 minutes of this, the tremors finally hit, with full force, the cave in question.

Both gun and corpse are shaken slightly before a giant boulder comes crashing down from cave ceiling. The tremendous rockform slams on top of the dusty, mummified figure, crushing it utterly. Dust and rock are flung every which way and the quakes stop as quickly as they arrived. The dust settles completely after about a day or so, and the cave drifts quietly back to sleep.

Two obvious conclusions you could arrive at about this weapon's condition are.. the spray of rocks in that final climactic moment may have damaged a barrel of the gun which, if the gun was discovered and used in the future, could result in a non-proficient person not noticing, shooting the gun, and exploding the damaged barrel in their hand. The other possiblity is less likely, but just as devestating.. Just consider that there was SO much dust and matter floating around, settling on the cave surface, vital mechanisms and such may very well be clogged and require a skilled cleaning.

... Not like anyone did like that complaining player and completely DEFIED the use of the weapon condition rule, but yeah.. you get my drift I'm sure. Little things make all the difference in the world sometimes... and nothing is more realistic than a crappy, ill-kept side-arm jamming in the clutch moment of a fire fight, leaving its user a (quote fingers) "SITTING DUCK" ..

11. Cypheriel Gems: 1/31

ok first melee firearms etc whatever are for maintaining as well as firing the weapons, not repair, repair is for stuff like machines and robots and the like and second remember fallout and the guns n bullets what did it say after you read the magazine hmm? You have learned to maintain your gun better plus the guns made in this campaign were made by the local smith so its hardly prewar condition even so most are easily repaired ok granted about firearms but I mean you even use the firearms to unjam the gun and what about melee weapons? I mean, I've seen those sword demonstrations and they swing swords countless of times hitting nothing but air they probably haven't even contacted another item in its lifespan does if fall after 10 swings? I highly doubt it

12. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Hm, I agree with what you said Bumbaclott...A few things I'd like to say to Cypheriel's post.
    1) In my setting the village is in a state of gradual decay. The smith's tools are almost a century old, or improvised from bits of scrap and so forth. His raw material is similarly imperfect, so the guns he makes aren't going to be quite up to pre-war standards. Besides which, stuff is definetely going to be scavenged once you leave the village.

2) As I said in my previous post, I think that basing the deterioration on the number of times you miss is an attempt to reflect the importance of weapons skill in maintaining a weapon(high skill -> less misses -> slower deterioration). In other words weapon skill covers day to day maintainance (cleaning etc.) and repair skill is for serious failure, the equivalent of sending it back to the factory. The rules are an abstraction, so may seem a bit absurd if you think about them too literaly (Just like D&D hitpoint rules seem to imply you can keep fighting with a battle-axe in your chest).

And just as the game is starting...it seems there may be another hiatus - I've got exams coming up in a months time, and may only be able to manage a couple more sessions before I have to give it up for the studying. I'll let you know through this thread.

When my exams are done I'm hoping to bring everyone together for the game - so if we could agree on a time that fits everyone and anyone who hasn't already done so sends me a stat sheet and a character summary.

13. Bumbaclott Gems: 1/31

"..repair is for stuff like machines and robots.."

I would place "GUNS" in the list of machines that are applicable to the repair skill. Good point about the day-to-day cleaning/etc being more related to the actual gun skill than repair..

IMO, any gun that holds more than one bullet is a complex piece of machinery by the average joe's standards..

http://www.DICTIONARY.com says...
    ====================================
    [MACHINE]
    A device consisting of fixed and moving parts that modifies mechanical energy and transmits it in a more useful form.

In other words.. "Click.. BANG!" :p

EDIT.. and I don't want to make it out that I'm ignoring the fact that unjamming the gun doesn't require use of the repair skill, I just think that perhaps in some extreme cases, it should.

examples being anything from an exceptionally low intelligence on the character's part.. or the gun itself breaking. Much more can happen to a weapon besides the mechanism jamming up..

Also, I'm fairly certain that most of the guns you find in fallout are prewar. What few "smithies" you ever run into state clearly that they DO NOT make weapons.. they only adapt them.. and make parts for various 'stuff'.. Even that fact aside, I would find it very hard to believe that there is a smithy pumping out combat shotguns for all those nasty desert raiders you kill throughout your adventures. ALL of that aside.. Don't even get me started about where the ENERGY weapons came from. I'm guessing not from the Boneyard..

[ April 06, 2003, 07:34: Message edited by: Bumbaclott ]

14. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

OOC: Apologies for missing this morning's game. next live session will be on. I want to try to hurry things along to the point where Byclaaf's character can get involved.

15. Cypheriel Gems: 1/31

Still I don't think that the gun would crap out after every single bullet maybe clip, yes and what about bows and arrows? I mean its pretty simple to make one and they last for awhile not every 10 shots not to mention I never seen a melee weapon or brass knuckle fall apart after 10 swings of hitting air anyhow, quick query who besides Aik, Ironbeard, Bum and I are still in the game? seems the rest deserted us or something Lord Nocturne seemed to have faded from existance

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Sorry, game's on hiatus until further notice. When it gets back on I'm going to try to get to the point when Durry and Vaay leave Reno quickly.

17. Cypheriel Gems: 1/31

sorry if there was a game but I thought we were still on harmony not psionic oddly enough I WAS online on psionics too so you could have jsut done a /whois on me and yet another game gone to the wayside

[ July 26, 2003, 05:47: Message edited by: Cypheriel ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.