1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fallout pnp rpg

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Ironbeard, Jan 5, 2003.

1. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I was just thinking, maybe our parents or Grandparents were from New Reno. Maybe they left some stuff behind, well hidden of course. So now that we're old enough, we're going to get it back.

Or is this what you had in mind anyway?

2. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Ooh, looky - post number 1000!
    Two points to make
    One: - the image I had in my mind was that the villagers thought there was nothing beyond the village except inhospitibale wasteland until the two from Reno turned up. My plan for leaving the village is directly stolen fr-I mean *inspired by* - the Fallout games. Basically, the village is in decline, and there have been lots of problems recently what with poor crops, unsafe drinking water and so on. The Sherrif/Mayor decides the village will probably need to relocate and puts together a team of people to scout out possible locations to move to.
    Two: - Nocturne mentioned to me in chat that a lot of us are in different timezones, and I notice a lot of posts around noon GMT. Could you let me know what time you can manage live sessions. I'm in the UK, and can manage any time between 6 pm and midnight GMT.

3. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Erk. Lemme think. I'm seven hours behind GMT, i believe. So, i could probably do 11 pm GMT (cutting it close to when i get home) on week days. On week ends, 2 am GMT is the latest on saturday, and all day on sunday works.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

GMT +10, pretty much anytime on a Saturday that doesn't involve starting at unreasonable hours. School hasn't started yet but it will soon and when it does I'll be on in the afternoon and can be on anytime between 4 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

5. Blyclaaf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

GMT +10, but from anything after 8:30pm. And sometimes my dad has the net instead of me.
    And we could set it after Fallout 2 including places from the Fallout 1 map.

[ January 16, 2003, 12:21: Message edited by: Blyclaaf ]

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Hmm, well the village is meant to be declining - gradually abandoning tech as they run out of parts/ raw materials. If it's much over 100 years old, I reckon it would be tribal. So if the game were to be set after Fallout 2 I would have problems with where the people came from (if a vault, what happened to their GECK? if another settlement, how do I explain the isolation?)

7. Blyclaaf Gems: 1/31

If They're from a vault, they could be outcasts like the vault dweller became. from Other settlements: could have got kicked out, but then they would have gone to another town. I'd go with the Vault.

8. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Makes sense to me. the people from the vault could have given them just enough tech so that they could survive. they could have come across a town that was abandoned, but noy destroyed during the war.

if they had, they could have done some minor repairs to the buildings and at least have had decent shelter. perhaps they found some extra tech there?

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Hmmm, I'm still not happy about setting it after Fallout 2. My feeling is that if it's set too long after the war most places will be civilised and under the NCR and there won't be as much of a gritty post-apocalyptic feel. You're probably right that most survivors would originally be Vault-Dwellers. (I'd planned on having the village founded by nutty survivalists who hid in their own basements with stolen rad-suits and tons of beans) How about this for an idea-
    Vault 15 was part of an "experiment" on different economic models. Because the Enclave wanted to use the results for propaganda purposes they set up the "experiment" in such a way that the communist model would be doomed to failure. Unfortunately, they went a bit too far and within a few years of running as a Communist society the vault was in open revolt against the overseer. When the vault systems started to fail (that woman in Shady Sands says she thinks they had to leave because the vault was broken), the rebel faction was accused of sabotage and banished with minimal technology. They headed north and founded the village. When the vault finally became uninhabitable the loyalists went west and founded Shady Sands.
    That would place the occurences between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. Of course, if you tell me why you want to see the game set after Fallout 2, then I'll consider it.

[ January 18, 2003, 14:06: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

10. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

I'd actually be happier with pre-Fallout 1. then it's more primitive, and there's more tech lying around :D

btw, popcaps or gold?

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm with Ironbeard here, we need the gritty feeling, not too civilised

12. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

The village experimented with a cash economy based on US Dollars and Vault ration stamps in the first few years, but it collapsed due to lack of resources and government authority to back it up. Since then the village has reverted to pure barter.

13. Blyclaaf Gems: 1/31

Forget Vault 15, go with Vault 55 (I think). Vault 55 had all the entertainment videos taken out. The people who founded the village/town could have escaped from the boredom into the real world anytime. In the Fallout bibles (I think Aikanaro has the link) it has a list of all Vaults they thought would be interesting to use. We could also make our own Vault, but i'd stick to 55.

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I don't have the link, you told me, not the other way around

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Yeah, I've got them, No Mutants Allowed has up to the seventh one, I think. ...I'll think about it.

I think I'll make it that they were rebels from some vault, but it's not clear which one. By the time the game happens hte story will be exaggerated somewhat and it'll be unclear whether they were exiled or left of their own accord. One thing that will stick with them would be contempt for "vaulties".

Also, are you still going through with your idea about being from Reno? I've got some ideas about how the situation might have been at the tiem the game's set - lots of small gangs all fighting each other, the four families that survive stand out, but not too much - Wrights are large and complacent, slowly dwindling, Bishops are expanding rapidly, coming up against the Salvatores who seem to have more resources than one would expect given their territory. Morodinos are practically non-existant - no Myron = no Jet = no Morodinos.

EDITED in: On the subject of which vault, I think it would have to be close to the village, which in turn would have to be close to Reno for Aikanaro and Byclaaf. I'm none too sure about which vaults that would rule out though. I know that 8,12,13,15 and an unnamed vault show up in the Fallout games (I've not played Tactics, so let me know of any vaults in that and where they are). Based on these, I would guess any vault nearby would have to have quite a low number (maybe there's a story in what happened to 9, 10, 11 and 14)- of course maybe the number has nothing to do with geographical location and it's just a coincidence 12,13 and 15 were all so close to each other.

I know I took liberties with Vault 15, but it was just a thought - could have been any vault, and any reason for a revolt - preferably one caused by the enclave's tinkering, though. Looking at the Bible now, I quite like the setup in 27 (overcrowded) and 53 (equipment breaks down). However both are quite high numbers, considering that there were only 122 vaults in the US. Of course, Harold is believed to have come from vault 29, but then he was a trader and probably moved about a lot.

[ January 21, 2003, 20:27: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

16. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

Just curious, but, how hard would it be to do it somewhere OTHER Than cali? Then we wouldn't have to worry about clashing with fallout. Just a random bit of insanity.

17. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Two things. First it has to be close enough that Aikanara and Byclaaf can get there from Reno with whatever supplies they are able to take, second including some things from the games provides a neat reference point.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

We'll be fine, as soon as I can make Blyclaaf realise his history condradicts mine :rolleyes:

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

If you're interested in a non-Californian setting, let me know which state you're interested in so I can learn a little about it's geography (I'm not setting the game outside the US because there's stuff I can draw on about the Vaults and the Enclave and such), or at least let me know which states Tactics is set in so I can avoid them. :)

About times, would starting midnight GMT on a Friday or Saturday be too early or late for anyone?

[ January 23, 2003, 19:57: Message edited by: Ironbeard ]

20. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31

midnight gmt is fine for me. this weekend is no good though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.