1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Facinating American Sports

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Baezlebub, Jul 5, 2003.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure it is only an American black phenomenon. I believe that the American whites are also losing interest in baseball. It is killing my father in law that my son (age 7) will not sit down and watch the Red Sox with him. Especially this weekend when they were playing the dreaded Yankees.

2. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

To quote (as best I remember) Giles of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer": "I have never been able to understand why a people so brash and forward as Americans need to put on 20 pounds of protective gear just to play rugby."

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    All of that protective padding in football is necessary to save the lives of the players. American football is the hardest hitting sport there is (IMHO). The rugby and soccer players I know would never even consider playing football. It is also one of the reasons why football isn't played as a recreational sport as it is to dangerous. People may play flag football or two handed touch, but you don't see many people playing recreational football for they don't want to risk the injuries.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hate to say it, because I spent my youth watching the Cubs with my grandfather, but I think Baseball is on it's way out. It's simply outdated and not very exciting by today's standards. God, I hope they don't take away my American card for saying that! :D

With Basketball, the action is constant. Points are being scored constantly and the crowd is more involved in the momentum of the game. Football is very similar. It's hard action, then stop. Hard action, stop. Repeat. But the action is more frequent, and thus more stimulating. Baseball is a very slow paced, calm game. Baseball comes from a time where sitting and listening to a wind-up record player was the hip thing to do on a Saturday night. It's just past it's prime. Sports today are all about flash, prowess and power. Showmanship. Baseball just has trouble keeping up with that.

Or am I just too cynical?
    Nope. Looks like I pretty much nailed it. :D

5. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Have you ever watched Australian Football? There are things being done on those fields that would get you arrested in the real world. Anything short of bringing a weapon onto the field won't even have the referee bat an eyelid.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Cross you beat me to commenting on that quote! However I wasn't going to talk about Australian Football (which I agree, from the little i've seen of it, is very tough) but of Playground Football.

Think a foam ball that gets ripped up within 30 seconds and the largest chunk is then the ball. Then think about 50-60 (in one case over 100) on each side. On concrete. Limited rules - 2 scoring areas, get the ball from the opposition (and if he comes to hit you then hit him right back). Oh and 3 sides of the playground are fenced in. Played it for about half a term 2 years back, tottally insane but a huge adrenaline rush. Oh and zilch protection, other than lots and lots of people being like a cushion (an a live and pretty violent cushion).

It was incredibly stupid, and incredibly fun. I only scored twice but I stayed in mid defense normally (not real positions just more of what you did).

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of course, in comparison to golf, baseball is chock full of action and excitement, and yet golf seems to be growing in popularity.

The one I don't get is car racing. Watching cars go hundreds of miles around and around and around the same oval track... :sleep: Oops, sorry, I dozed off just thinking about it. Where was I? Oh yea, so anyways the only time something exciting happens is when there is a crash, which is kind of sad - near-death as the only form of entertainment :rolleyes:

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I admit that I hate Golf. However, I do understand its growing popularity. It is increasing because it is a sport that people can play by themselves without having to join a league. As the people play more and more they enjoy watching the professionals hit truly amazing shots.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.