1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

F/M/T Worth it in BG?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I've never felt that my triple classed characters advance too slowly. Maybe it's because I know all of the sidequests and can gain XP pretty quickly, I don't know.

I always felt my characters advance just fine, even in a full party. And I've beaten the whole series with a FMC and BG2/TOB with a FMT.

2. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Off Topic: F/M/T levels up fairly quickly with Tutu or BGT, also they have more than one weapon slot.

I enjoy playing a F/M/T over a Bard for a few reaons:

1 - F/M/T can backstab
    2 - F/M/T will have the lower THAC0 and can specialize in weapons
    3 - If needed your thief can F/R T and OL
    4 - F/M/T can wear the ring of wizardry
    5 - F/M/T can wear any armor in the game or the mage robes if he so desires
    6 - Can use any weapon in the game

The only draw back I see with a F/M/T is how they level up. I usually solve this problem by buying a scroll of protection from petrification and go basslick hunting.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I prefer Wyvern hunting myself... :rolleyes:

4. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I've played BG a couple of times, never actually completed it though, and I generally try and whizz through the bits that I've done so many times I can do them with my eyes closed. Maybe that's why I never get F/M/T very high levels.

What about Ankheg hunting? :D

5. Klorox

Abdel says:
    Why do they level up any faster with these mods than without them?

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Because the Tutu random spawns are harder, and thus give you more XP. Though it is quite annoying to run into 8 Xvarts on the crossroads map when you've only got 2 characters.

7. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

MacCready has done nice things to the spawning system in EasyTutu.

8. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Klorox the reason why you level up so quickly is that the character gains xp for opening locks and finding and removing traps. I had my F/M/T level 2/1/2 before he even left Candlekeep. Also the game respawns more often and your random traveling encounters are tougher.

9. Klorox

Additional monsters, plus XP for Locks and Traps! I'm definitely downloading EasyTutu soon and starting over!

10. 9D8 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is there any mod that enables F/M/T to get 5 weapon proficiency points? I know I can edit it after any level ups come with WPP gainings but that would be more convenient.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Umm.. Cheating??

12. 9D8 Gems: 1/31

No cheating just balancing, I play with 3 chars and the harder patch (3x HP for all opponents for some extra XP).

13. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

BG1 Tweaks and its component "Multi-Class Grand Mastery (Weimer)" will allow you to get 5 * with your FMT.

14. 9D8 Gems: 1/31

Thank you!
    I remembered slightly that I had seen it somewhere (or was that BG2?) just I was too dumb to find it.

15. saros Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've only recently started to play vanilla BG1 + TOTSC (meaning, no experience for unlocking/disarming), but I don't find it very hard (in fact, it's very easy) tu run a F/M/T through it. Although IMHO a F/I will be easier to run, due to his better saving throws and more spells to cast (not to mention better THAC0 and extra 1/2 attack at lvl 7).

In general, with xp cap and no mods, a F/M/T is powerful and easy to run in a no-reload insane game, but not the most powerful of all characters. Of course, a F/M/T should be played solo or not played at all IMHO. As for slow level-up progression, there are some easy fights for a starting BG1 F/M/T which will bring his overall experience to levels 4/4/5 (30 000 total). I usually complete Beregost's easy quests first, some Friendly Arm Inn quests, and then go for Drizzt himself, in the process earning a +3 scimitar and +4 chainmail. Afterwards, with proper spell selection, tactic and item usage, many 'tough' monsters can be easily defeated, this ensuring hitting the xp cap quickly. My guess is that afterwards a F/M/T will have no problems in BG1...although I haven't completed the BG1 part of the game yet with a F/M/T.

Just as a side note - I saw here a post mentioning AC. Don't forget that AC modifiers are equally, or even more important than original AC value. For example, the Archmagi robe sets AC to 5, which is omitted by a Shield spell (AC base set to 4). In the meantime, a Knave's Robe grants +1 slashing AC modifier, which works in conjuction with the Shield spell.
    Thus, the best possible armor in BG1 for a F/M/T is the Full Plate Mail, since it does not only set AC to 1, but also provides with bonus 3 AC modifier vs missile and piercing damage, and 4 AC modifier vs Slashing attacks, and still a protective item can be worn. Drizzt's chain is worse, because not only a protective item cannot be worn with it, but also grants 2 penalty to Crushing AC modifier (although it grants 2 bonus to Slashing attacks).
    Also, Shield spell is extremely important and can stack with itself, providing astounding AC modifier vs missiles when needed.

In SoA/ToB unmodded game a F/M/T is extremely powerful, IMHO second only to a F/I or F/M. At 8 million experience, a F/M/T can pretty much act as a capped F/T, with only slightly worse THAC0, but also with all needed spell buffs present. He is far better fighter than the Blade due to better THAC0 constant +1.5 APR, 3 with Improved Haste (The Blade has to cope this with Offensive spins, and those are limited and must be often refreshed). Also, a F/M/T a far better spellcaster than a Blade, being able to cast 7th and 8th lvl spells.

Although level-up may look slow, with the right items a F/M/T should have no trouble at all reaching HLAs, after which the game becomes trivial.

With Ascension installed (and XP cap present) a solo F/M/T, due to his versatility (UAI, Time Traps, great physical, elemental and magical damage resistances, spell buffs), will shine in all of the Improved fights, winning even the final fight with ease, probably easier than any other character class.

But IMHO a F/M/T's power is unmatched in an Improved Anvil modded game, where this is the easiest solo-run character.

16. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can also do it yourself quite easily. Just edit the file profsmax.2da. It is fairly self-explanatory. You can easily do it with Near Infinity. Infinity Explorer also works for extraction.

If you need further help, read this
    http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/files/2da/2da_tots/profsmax.htm

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.