1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Evil

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by hendak, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm a 13th level government bureaucrat and I think that my class alone requires me to be lawful evil.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I just love this item description from IWD2:

"How To Be An Adventurer"

Face It, You're Actually "Neutral Evil"... Does an insatiable love for XP, gold and magic items make someone evil? That is the question. :p

3. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

no, how you go about acquiring those things will determine whether your are evil or not.

4. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Exactly and we come back to some points that were made at the beginning of this thread.

Do you think that pillaging tombs and robbing graves is a decent living? Looting corpses for some coin? I can't see a pally type rummaging through the possessions of a dead orc unless there was a good reason for doing so. Breaking and entering? Killing a mage and plundering his house? Killing a strange warrior to get his katana?

Nevertheless, even if a character was honest and law abiding he could be a miser as well. This might not be that bad but if that character let people starve when he could help them, would he be evil? Think about Nalia, she's a decent person but she is a clueless pampered child because she doesn't know what life is really about for a commoner. She pretends to help (and she does to a certain extent) but she is a prisoner of the values of her social class. I believe she is meant to embody a good natured altruistic sort of people who by helping others don't realize that at the same time they keep them in a subdued status as inferior citizens. They help but they don't want society to change and they don't want to solve the problems that cause so much poverty and social inequality.

Although it is quite another game and another setting, I liked the sort of alignment system in Jade Empire. They established two paths: the Way of the Open Palm and the Way of the Closed Fist. These could be equated to good and evil but they went beyond that. The Way of the Closed Fist taught self reliance to people. If you didn't help a weakling he would have to fend out for himself and thus if he succeeded he would have grown whereas a follower of the Open Palm by helping people would make them depend on him thus precluding any growth for others.

In the BG setting, someone with plenty of money (like a successful adventurer) would feel compelled to help those who are in dire need of the basic necessities of life.

Still, for instance, giving money to the children in the slavers compound might look like a good action. But what is going to happen to a child running around in the slums with 100 GP in his hands? My bet is that he won't reach the safety of the temple of Ilmater.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  5. Sir Farivald

Sir Farivald The Obsidian Cleric

I always found it amusing that the player character would give the beggar 1gp out of his 100,000 or whatever.

6. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

if the mage was evil, would it not be the pally's duty to slay him? if not, then probably not. breaking an entering no, as for the strange warrior, same as the mage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.