1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ever Played Dead Lands?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Vandalore, May 11, 2001.

1. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Anybody ever heard of Dead Lands (the P&P not the card game)? Is it sweet or does it suck? Would you recommend it?

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Here is a little on the games. You can also go to http://www.peginc.com for more info on the game. It's interesting game. Not really 'my' style but not a bad game and the new D20 system will be easy for you if you up on 3E D&D. Here a little info;

Deadlands: The Wierd West
    1ed by Shane Lacy Hensley (1996) Pinnacle
    A western fantasy-horror game, set in an alternate history where magic and monsters begin appearing around the time of the Civil War. The system is a skill-based dice-pool system, where attribute determines die type (d4,d6,d8,d10,d12,d20) and skill determines number of dice.

Deadlands: Hell on Earth
    1ed by Shane Hensley (1998) Pinnacle
    A post-holocaust fantasy-horror RPG, set in the year 2094 in a possible future of the Deadlands world. In 2081, the Reckoners (masters of the evil manitou spirits) break through into the world. It uses a variant of the Deadlands system. New character types are psionic "Sykers", mutant "Doomsayers", magic warrior "Templars", and mad-scientist "Junkers".

I hope this helps some.

3. Vandalore Gems: 7/31

Hey thanks Voltric,

I appreciate your help. I noticed at one of the three major comic stores in Des Moines, they pulled all the Dead Lands stuff. I'm assuming they're just rearranging stuff to make room for all the new games coming out this summer.

I had no idea they were going to import D20 into Deadlands, I thought it'd just be like a Western Chill (D10 format). I went to the site you posted, but I'm still a bit confused on what I read. To me it sounds like they are going to add in supplimental material but not change original Deadlands game for the D20 style. Or are they going to just make the new Deadlands books under the D20 format? Either way I think it'll be interesting, I'll give it a shot. I always like trying new/old games. I started playing Cthulu a couple weeks ago, and now I'm trying out this MageKnight game. Have you ever played either of those?

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Call of the Cthulu is a great game. Even though it appeared we spent more time making characters than playing. I great world if you don't mind the high death rate. I think Cthulu, Chill and GURPS do the best with horror gaming. Mode is extremely important.

I've never played MageKight. What kind of game is it?

As far as Deadlands goes I'm under the impression that all the new stuff will be in D20 style. If you want the old stuff I'd buy it now because the new edition will make the older books harder to find.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited May 14, 2001).]

5. Vandalore Gems: 7/31

Yeah, Call of Cthulu was fun. I've only had the opportunity to play one session.. well sort of. I was worn out after I created a character..I feel asleep after an hour of game play. It probably wasn't Cthulu's fault, could've been the fact I didn't sleep at all the previous night. I think it had something to do with a girl, but I can't remember which girl or what exactly I was doing. :D Don't you just hate that?

MageKnight is pretty sweet, it's slightly similar to Warhammer but super simplified. Everything you need is on the actual 'dial' or base of the miniature, no added books or anything. I played it for the first time last night. On the box it says it takes anywhere from 15-45 minutes. I'd say each game took a couple hours. :) It was fun though, three players makes the game really interesting. The first game was 3 way battle, second game was a random encounter scenerio (one of my friends was a faction, the other was a random # of hostile creatures which was originally battling me - a small band of an enemy faction carrying treasure, both factions appeared to be waylaid by these creatures - some sort of a Bloodsucker and an Imp). It's pretty fun, but I think they made the Draconum faction too strong. Even if you're not into Warhammer style games, I would recommend checking it out. The instructions are about ten pages long. After reading the first three pages, you can almost predict what the rest of the rules are.

6. Elijah Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've played Deadlands once or twice and it was remarkably good. I really enjoyed the setting and the mixing of old west/horror genres. Playing the campaign based on the CCG was pretty fun.

Cthulu can be great if someone competent is in charge (which I guess could be said about any RPG). I've had two Cthulu experiences, one great and one horrible so i'm still mixed in my opinion of it.

The Legend of the Five Rings from AEG is the way to go, IMHO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.