1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

European Championship!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by joacqin, May 27, 2008.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Indeed. I wonder if Germany's usual bad luck with teams from Eastern Europe will show up again :)

2. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Uh, darn Turkish people. :p

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Heh, speaking of Lady Luck, the Dutch aren't doing too bad with her either :) . Equalizer in the 86th minute isn't the same as in the 120th, but still not bad enough either :) Oh, and a bar in the first added time.

Edit: oh, and a whole lot of other things. The Russians are playing a mean game tonight, and after more than 90 minutes that's saying volumes about their stamina - not to mention skill.

Edit 2: 111th minute. It was about time - though about as much due to poor defense as anything. Now the question is what the Tulips are going to do about it.

Edit: 3: Whooooo! Ok, it seems the Tulips' luck officially ran out. 3:1, and a beautiful one at that. How often does a goalie like Van der Sar let one pass between his legs?

Edit 4: It's over. A pity I couldn't watch more of this game, but the part I saw was worth it. A good game, and a deserved win for Sbornaya.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    We totally did not deserve to win that game :(

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I will not be surprised if the Russians win it all, they were really good against Sweden but I put some of it down to us really sucking. Now they demolished the Netherlands and it shouldn't even have gone to overtime, the big bear deserved to win during normal time. Arsjavin and Pavlutjenko are pure pure class, very very impressed by the Russians and of course they have by far the best national anthem in the world. The commies did many horrid things in Russia but they sure as hell wrote a kick ass national anthem.

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Good job Russia, a fair win against an opponent that played far worse.

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Wow, Russia really impressed me...they delivered some really sound football and were superior to Oranje in almost every way.

The ref was kind of shaky, though.

8. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Now here's a common situation I really hate: Russia scores that 2-1 goal and their supporters are cheering in the audience.
    The Dutch side? Complete silence.

Now, these people are called "supporters" because unlike normal audience, they're supposed to "support" their team. Cheer them up when they need it.
    There were what, 7 minutes left? That's a lot of time and it doesn't matter if the other team was way better, the game wasn't over yet.
    Point being: No matter what your team is, surprises are known to happen, so lift that spirit a little. ;)

9. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Congratulations, Russia.

I wish Holland had played better.

Still, in this match, either way, I would have been both happy and sad.
    Hard to pick sides if you like both teams.

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    It's interesting to note that three out of three quarter finals so far have been won by the runners-up from the groups, while none of the group winners have qualified for the semis yet.

I hope Spain can break that pattern. :mommy: Really. Italian football is less interesting than watching grass grow.

(My apologies to any Italians reading this. I like the people but not the football).

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I am so ashamed about what my fellow Dutchmen have been doing in Basel after the - well earned - defeat. The "jovial" and "sober" Dutch football supporters showed their true nature and broke the place apart.

I always thought that football supporters were missing something, but now my thoughts have been confirmed. They're only happy and singing when there still is a supply of beer and when we're winning. I'm all for waiting for them to cross the border and then jail them, shooting might a good option too...

12. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Damn, Holland sucked last night. There was absolutely no speed in the game. The players were slow to attack and didn't even bother to run for defense. Add a few bad changes of players (Kuyt and Boulahrouz were to have the hardest working players in the team) and byebye Holland. The only person who I think did a top notch job again was Van Der Sar. That guy was on fire again last night and if it wasn't for him, there wouldn't have been a need for overtime.

And like Trellheim said, I was a little surprised by the Dutch supporters as well. They didn't make any sound at all and just hang their head, until somebody scored and they went wild. That is not the job of a supporter, if you are there you need to look alive and cheer when the team needs it, not only after they score.

Now I hope the Russians win the championship. It is always nice to see how far Hiddink's team will come, just too bad they had to beat Holland to get there.

13. Register Gems: 29/31

Italy - Spain today; my bet is 2-1, 2-0, or 1-0 to Italy.

14. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    So why exactly is Italy still keeping Toni in the field? He's, without any exaggeration, always offside.

15. Register Gems: 29/31

So was Filippo Inzaghi in 2000 and he was one of their best players of the entire cup.

But yeah, Toni has been underachieving this cup.

16. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

holy poop!!! spain vs russia & germany vs turkey
    Both russia & turkey have a lot of starters out with yellow cards

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Big names does not equal big games. What a crap game and both the Spanish and the Italians should almost be ashamed. I sure hope that Russia will get back on Spain for the group stage loss. They have shown more will and skill their last two games than any other team left.

18. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I thought it was a typically game of Italian football. Today the Spains had the best keeper.

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Indeed, I thought the Italians were synonymous with defensive play, but they really "outdid" themselves tonight. Spain was better in the field imo, but if they don't shape up Russia will trounce them.

20. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I would love to see Russia vs Turkey in the final just because they have played the hardest. I just don't know if they can get past spain let alone germany. I have a feeling germany is going all the way this year.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.