1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

European Championship!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by joacqin, May 27, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Top scorer is always hard to pick. It's rarely one of the 'favourites'. I'd put money on Torres or Klose, but it's a very risky bet.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No surprises that I am currently coming LAST in the fantasy Euro competition. I rule.

3. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I wanted to pick Frei as a topscorer, but I'll stick with Torres now. :D

4. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Italy is playing at their worst since against Denmark in 2004. Seriously, other than Grossi, Zambrotta, Pirlo, and Del Piero they play bad at best, horrible when it really counts.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    They always play bad, but still win championships. Odd is it not. Most of the times barely to the second round and still...

No worries we will choke at some point.

6. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i had such hope for poland for the first 45 minutes against germany. They just couldn't get it in the net.

7. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Holland:Italy = 3:0

Now this was a match I enjoyed. :D

Imho, the first goal was from an offside, but I'm hardly an expert.

After that, Holland's game all the way. I like the way they play: fast, confident, precise.

Van der Sar was great.

With this kind of game, I'll even put Holland as one of my favourites for the contest.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    No it wasn't ;P There was an Italian doing a faker behind the goal :)

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Hahaha, Italy got pwned!

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Excellent game!! The Dutch surprised me, and I think they surprised Donadoni too. Right, this is more like it, the France - Romania match was horribly boring, but this had some great moves and drama. The two Dutch goals were a masterclass of counterattacking. Italy looked a bit hollow and slow. Ah well, not discounting them yet.

By the way, it appears Morgoth is right. Panucci (I think it was) was rolling around behind the goal line, but wasn't given permission to come off, and the game wasn't stopped. I'm sure the controversy will continue tough...

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    He has actually been my only favorite player since he started playing for Ajax. Which was... 1996?

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just got to come back to this place and quote BBC, saying that in the Group of Death the Dutch are alive and kicking.

13. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    hehe, I'm not complaining about the refs' decision there. I'm happy for the goal.

(Btw, I've just seen some replays, and it's quite possible that you are right, Morgoth. Even if it were offside, however, Italy deserved to get a taste of their own medicine. They've weaseled their way out of too many matches for my taste.)

Either way... 3:0 :D

14. Register Gems: 29/31

That's quite untrue. They were the best team of 2006 and played consistantly well during the entire tournament(worst game was against Australia and that was due to a faulty and retarded red card). Same with 2000; they played as well as the squad allowed. 1990 and 1998 the same.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It doesn't matter what he was doing, he was out of play. Ruud was at last a foot offside and the goal should not have stood. The Dutch still deserved to win though.

I should add, before someone jumps on it - I know the laws of the game and that under it, Panucci was still considered playing people onside from that position. I just think it's absurd. He was some way out of play, rolling on the floor lutching his leg. He wasn't even looking at the play, he was in no way attempting to gain an advantage - that's meant to be the clincher in this new rule. I'm a student of the old school and I wish they would bring back the old offside rule.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was so happy to see Italy lose. I just can't stand their style of play.

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Lol. My account is still working :D

Van der Sar started playing for Ajax in 1990 (as second goalie) and became Ajax nr.1 goalkeeper in 92. He was 2nd goalkeeper at the WC'94. He annouced to quit after this season recently, at least for the Dutch team.

The first goal of Ruud van Nistelrooy was not an offside-goal. One of the articles of the soccerrules says: A defender cannot put an attacker in offside-position by withdrawing himself behind the back-line. UEFA confirmed that the goal was valid.

And it's funny to see how anyone at first gave the dutch few chances in this tournament. I also was very doubtful about how they would perform, especially in this first match. I think the Dutch team surprised us all... also the dutch :D

18. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I was a little surprised to see MoN post, but Marnix... :jawdrop: ;)

It would be a shame if Van Der Sar quit, he has been the backbone of the Dutch team for a long time and as he showed yesterday an excellent keeper. But he is what, pushing 40? He can't play football forever. Let's just hope Henk Timmer is up for it to replace him.

And it's funny to see how the general Dutch consensus went from "We are out after the group stages" to "We can win this thing" in just one game :D

19. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I think the Danish commentator said that Van der Sar is 37. Goalies last longer than field players and I think Dino Zoff played 'till he was past 40 so Van der Sar could last a few years more.

Incidentally, they also said he was the only non-Italian ever to play goalkeeper for Juventus. :)

Edit: He is 37; he will be 38 in October. Source: Wikipedia.

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Last night now stands officialy in the top 5 of the best nights of my life. There is no way to describe the feeling of walking a parade with 30.000 orange fans in Bern and then defeat the word champions in such a way.

I have no voice left. That was bloody brilliant.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.