1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Epic Level Handbook

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Voltric, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well the Epic Level Handbook is only a few months away. There is a FAQ about it over at the WotC website http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/er/er20020210a , but the question is what would you like to see in this release? Level 20 has been for cap for PCs for quite sometime - true some rules have come out from time to time on 20+ PCs but not in - 3rd Edition. Do you think the 20+ levels should continue to give feats and skills as before? Should we simple offer more powerful 'epic' feats and Prestige Classes or should 20+ PCs gain major new powers in their 'normal' class progression? What is your take on 10th level spells? What other concerns do you have on the new release?

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited April 05, 2002).]

2. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I just hope it will be somewhat sane. Swimming up a waterfall isn't exactly what I see as sane, not even with a dc of 60 or 80. I also hope there's a lot of high level challenges included, so you wouldn't need to give every single enemy 10+ levels of some class.

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Volar, I wouldn't worry about insane actions that's more the realm of the DM than any handbook. BTW I don't think a dc of 80 can even be reached. Say you're 40 level (max ranks 43) with a 20 in the controlling stat (+5) and a magic item that grants a +10 and you roll a 20 on the skill check you can only get a 78.

On your other issue what do you mean exactly? New challanges, like new monsters? I would have no problem finding challanges for epic level characters since the Dieties and Demigods book will be out by then. You can throw other ELC at them, things from the Manual of the Planes, or stuff out of the Diety book. In addition Monster Manual II will be out in Sept. with tons more high challange rating creatures for use in your campaign. Lots of things to keep a creative DM stocked with enemies.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited April 05, 2002).]

4. C'Jakob Guest

Doing something with a DC of 80 is possible in some areas. For example, strength, dexterity, and constitution checks can be improved through spells. Other spells give better checks to some skills. And of course, a few favorable conditions can improve the check or lower the DC by a few points.

But that's just for extraordinarily lucky uber-heroes. ;)

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I just hope that it keeps the game interesting for DMs and players alike by maintaining the balance. At the very least there should be high-level feats for characters. And I'd like to see players continue to advance in the same way with skills and feats. One thing I really like about the 3rd edtion rules is that advancement is linear, unlike the 2nd and 1st edition rules in which things seemed to get really 'waky' with high levels ;)

Not entirely sure how I feel about 10th level spells though...hmmm....jury is still out :)

New prestige classes for high-level characters would be a perfect fit - and really give players a goal for their characters, and something new to achieve for them. Maybe instead of 10th level spells, prestige classes could offer spell-casters something else instead? Maybe opening up a new 'school' of spells based on prestige-class? There's lots of possibilities....but I think the most important thing will be to keep everyone interested in 'going further'.

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The dc 80 waterfall thing wasn't actually my idea, it was a rumour from a Dragon magazine.

And with challenges, I meant that a high level party should do something greater than your average dungeon trek.

You're wrong about Monster Manual 2, though. On WotC's website (no rumour, it's in the product library section) it says:
    This supplement to the D&D game provides descriptions for a vast array of new creatures, with an emphasis on higher-level creatures (Challenge Ratings 10 - 20) to provide experienced gamers with tougher foes to overcome. This book also updates many popular monsters from the previous editions of the D&D game and provides information on creatures from the new D&D Chainmail miniatures game.

So no high level monsters, I'm afraid :(

7. void Guest

As long as it has most of the stuff detailed in the FAQ, I'll be pretty happy...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.