1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ensuring A New American Century

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Arctic Daishi, Feb 6, 2013.

?

What are your thoughts on my proposals?

1. Strongly Agree

6.7%
  2. Somewhat Agree

6.7%
  3. Neutral

6.7%
  4. Somewhat Disagree

13.3%
  5. Strongly Disagree

66.7%
  1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Then don't post on a public forum.

Death Rabbit and Splunge like this.
  3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Gaear, have you never seen Stripes????

4. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

Disagreeing with a specific part of the Constitution does not mean you can't love it as a whole. The Constitution is supposed to represent the way we organize ourselves to keep us a just and free society- the ability to amend it is there for a reason. The specific ideas and processes we use to help us towards that goal are supposed to be analyzed and changed over time, this does not mean we don't love our Constitution- we just want to make it better. The founders believed armed militias were vital to keep our nation secure. If this stops being the case, and we want to change it, we can do so without losing an ounce of love for the document itself.

5. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Believe it or not, no. ;)

@damedog, thanks, that's about the most coherent explanation of 'the other side' I've heard thus far. I still don't entirely agree, but I'll refrain from further debate as promised.

@Nakia, with your permission I'd like to PM you with replies to your last post above, as I don't believe a worthwhile public discussion can be had at this point.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Gaear, you do not need my permission to PM me. Whether I respond or not is my choice. I have no idea what you wish to discuss. We do not agree that is obvious.

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Fair enough, thanks.

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A black and white view of the Constitution and its amendments does seem a little shortsighted. It has always been a work in progress -- albeit very slow progress. As far as the 2nd amendment is concerned:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.​

There are two main ways this is interpreted -- 1) that everyone has the right to own a gun. This is the path the Supreme Court has gone down. It is the rulings of the Supreme Court that have defined the 2nd amendment more than the amendment itself. 2) that the states have a right to form and arm a militia (National Guard).

Not everyone agrees with the interpretations by any particularly group. But that is the nature of amendments -- they only need two-thirds majority support. That means that nearly one-third of the population can disagree with the amendment and it will still be law. Do they have to "love" that amendment in order to "love" the Constitution and other amendments?

dmc and dr: That was the exact scene that kept playing over in my mind when the name of the new pope was announced. "You call me Francis ... I'll kill 'ya."

Nakia likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.