1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ensuring A New American Century

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Arctic Daishi, Feb 6, 2013.

?

What are your thoughts on my proposals?

1. Strongly Agree

6.7%
  2. Somewhat Agree

6.7%
  3. Neutral

6.7%
  4. Somewhat Disagree

13.3%
  5. Strongly Disagree

66.7%
  1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, people are attacking the premise of his posts - i.e. that having the US as the dominent world power over the next century is a good thing. I think that's fair game.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't see any ad hominem attacks. What I do see is a disagreement of the central premise of the OP. The title of the thread is "Ensuring a New American Century" with the major premise being how the US can maintain (or to use the author's words, "ensure") American dominance in the world into the next century and beyond.

It is hardly surprising that with many of the members of this site not being American, that they really don't give a rip about American dominance continuing. It is also unsurprising that since they weren't raised in a culture where everyone said how great the US is and how the US is the greatest country in the world, that they don't accept such statements as self-evident truths.

Bottom line - Arctic is certainly free to put his opinion out there, but that's no guarantee that everyone will agree with that opinion. And since he put it out there, it's fair game to talk about it, and even be critical of it. Hell, it's even enlightening to consider the perspective of a non-American. They can disagree as non-Americans without having to answer questions like, "Why do you hate America?" or "If you don't love America, do you support the terrorists?" It's actually quite refreshing.

Harbourboy likes this.
  3. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"A debater commits the Ad Hominem Fallacy when he introduces irrelevant personal premisses about his opponent. Such red herrings may successfully distract the opponent or the audience from the topic of the debate."

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.htm

It seems to me that putting words into OP's mouth re: "USA is awesome" consitututes an logical fallacy. You are right--it may not be an ad hominem attack. But it's not what Daishi said.

I'm not even trying to defend his viewpoints. I was personally much more engaged by the space travel discussion, above.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So what you are saying dog is that Arctic doesn't think or express the opinion that the US is awesome and it would be a good thing if it continues to dominate the world for the foreseeable future?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Aldeth's last post hits the nail right on the head.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hilarious. Even more worrying is that clip from The Newsroom where the guy loses his rag at the BS beijd spouted. For a TV show to use the 'news' that America might not be the 'greatest country in the world' as a vehicle to shock, only says to me that people must be told this stuff so much over there all the time, and I can't imagine why. Except as some form of latent xenophobia hid behind a patriotism pretext.

The only other countries I know who drill 'we're the greatest' into their citizens are perhaps communist states.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    dogsoldier -- I think you're targetting the wrong people. AD has done most (albeit not all) of the ad hominem attacks. He even called me a liberal European (much to the dismay of the liberal Europeans on the boards) and proceded use that as a foundation of why I couldn't possibly know anything about the topic. At least that's my version....

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Of course we don't think that. We even spoof the idea. Haven't you ever seen an episode of The_Greatest_American_Hero. :)

9. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31

Well, look, I'm not here attempting to serve as a mouthpiece for AD's viewpoints. Frankly, I think they verge on facism (more on that later).

I'm just saying that he didn't say "the US is awesome" and that someone else put those words into his mouth while criticizing him. Literally.

I have no idea what he thinks. Do you honestly believe anyone can pretend to actually know what anyone on these boards actually thinks? All I have to go on are typed sentences. Many of which are often calculated to drum up some sort of response.

What AD did was pose a long and well-reasoned viewpoint that everyone may disagree with to their heart's content--and that many of you have, coherently and rationally (as have I, hopefully). The reality, however, is that many Americans, especially those close to the government, do indeed percieve the U.S. as exerting unquestioned hegemony across the globe today and many of these people continually fret, debate, and scheme about the U.S.'s future. These are interesting questions and an interesting phenonmenon.

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 54 seconds later... ----------

You are at least partially right, and I am certainly uncomfortable in my current position.

AD has indeed himself resorted to ad hominem attacks, which has lowered the quality of the debate here.

All I mean is, I wish we could get back on-topic without making clumsy and largely uninformed attacks on each other's nationalities. Including AD. This is why I gave up on the gun-control thread a while back.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Partially right?!?!

He turned me into a newt!

:rolleyes:

I got better....

8people, Taluntain and dogsoldier like this.
  11. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31

Ha ha! I'm sorry...I forgot you are a Chicagoan! That makes his misidentification of you as a "liberal European" funnier.

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What is a 'liberal European' anyway? The first words that spring to mind are 'chilled out nice person'?

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"Liberal" is one of those great words that is used by conspiracy theorists to describe a highly organised group of hippies who secretly want to take over the world by taking away every patriotic American's guns and putting everyone on welfare. Watch out for liberals! Your neighbour might be one!

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    One of the things I've learned over the years on these boards is how differently the word "liberal" is interpreted by the rest of the modern world outside of the US. The US definition of liberal (and it's not that far off from the caricature HB sets up above) is not how virtually any person in any other nation would charactertize the world liberal.

dogsoldier likes this.
  15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He may not have specifically said “America is awesome”, but it’s pretty clear he is of the opinion that the world would be a better place by having the US as the dominant force, and the only way that makes sense is if he thinks the USA is the greatest nation on earth.

OK. I'll do my part by commenting on this:

I can picture it now. Representatives from the US and other right-wing countries (for example, as outlined by AD in post #11) sitting around a big stone fireplace, holding hands and singing America The Beautiful, with the Swiss throwing in the occasional “yodel-ey-ee-oo” for added inspiration. People would pause periodically to sip Jack Daniels and polish their guns with cloths lovingly made by Taiwanese textile workers, often offering to share their barrel with the person sitting next to them. They would lament the lack of freedom in backwards nations like Sweden, Portugal and England, and make plans for their liberation. I get choked up with emotion just thinking about it.

You're welcome. :)

16. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    ^ Because snarkiness is always the answer? :shake:

Seriously, some of you guys are making it difficult for me to hate AD.

17. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31

I find the above paragraph problematic and even disturbing. I've done some reading recently on the evolution of the all-volunteer force in the U.S. military (America's Army by Beth Bailey) and it is interesting to see how the U.S. has relied on the draft thoughout our history. First, the most experienced and motivated service-members have typically NOT been draftees; the U.S. military has always relied on a solid core of individuals who are doing exactly what they want to do when they are serving in the military, most of whom form the "careerist" group who serve until retirement. Second, with the existence of the draft, many other individuals have been motivated to volunteer in order to get into the service or even speciality they wanted to serve in, rather than passively waiting for the largely senseless and arbitrary sytems of the military to chose it for them. (I believe the most draftees served not during Vietnam but during WW2--something like 10 of the 16 million who served during the war were draftees).

Anyway, studies conducted in the late '60s and early '70s show little empirical evidence that the success of national defense could be linked the existence of an conscripted force. There is some evidence that national defense may be cheaper (the modern military pursues a number of expensive measures designed to satisfy the modern service-member with military life, including pretty decent housing, a relatively good family health-care system, generally good on-post educational services, etc, which they wouldn't necessarily need to maintain if the gov't simply forced everyone to serve) but I think, considering the massive U.S. population, it would actually be more expensive in the long run to train a massive amount of people (who don't want to be there).

I don't believe compulsary service would strengthen the economy. I suspect it would do the opposite, in fact. I think it is important to keep brilliant innovators like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates out "innovating" (I mean, these guys were college drop-outs--in the Army they would have be low-ranking, nondescript soldiers toiling away in a service that promotes largely by arbitrary timelines and rewards certain things according to certain gates that I'm unconvinced either of them could ever meet) and the bulk of the workforce working. After all, the military is a largely extractive institution (that is, it does generate some money through military contracts, especially when one looks at companies like Boeing) but it is really funded by the taxpayers. Some of the biggest proponents of the all-volunteer force in the 1970s were economists like Milton Friedman, who advocated for the AVF based on his belief in the strength not just in the market economy but also in principles of democracy.

Which is, to me, one of the biggest points against a conscript force. The U.S. is founded on principles of democracy, free choice, free dissent, capitalism, and other ideas which seems antithetical to the idea of a military formed by citizens who are compelled by force to serve. My personal belief is that the principles of freedom and individual choice are too important to trample on while attempting to force individuals to serve in military service. Furthermore, I as an officer have enough problems working with, for, and leading the people who are currently in the service; I cannot imagine the difficulties if I suddenly had to work with 10x more people, most of whom don't want to be here, and almost none of whom would do this as their first choice of profession.

I don't like this idea, mostly for the ideas laid out above (they apply to non-citizens about as effectively as they apply to citizens). Furthermore, can you imagine the difficulties in trying to train individuals who may not even speak English, let alone be educated to the standard of an American high-school senior? A problem we have in Afghanistan, actually--which doesn't even get after the problems inherent in motivating, understanding, and educating people from a different culture. Plus, as another poster noted, why would someone emmigrate to the U.S. so they could go fight the U.S.'s wars for them? That being said, I've served with many non-citizens who served in the U.S. military--most of whom expressed that they were motivated to serve because they were proud and wanted to pay back the country that took their families in.
    It's not freedom if you are forced to do it. If one compells people to do it, it is a restriction on the behavior of a free people.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My father enlisted in the army ahead of the draft during (or slightly before) the Korean War. He did it because he figured out he would serve less time and would have a choice in where he would be within the army. He was a malingerer and had no intention of putting his butt on the line in some far away land for less than obvious reasons (at least to him).

Some of his army stories are hilarious, some are sad, and my kids love them and ask him to tell them stories all the time. He never would have enlisted if the draft did not exist. I find the idea of a draft odious in the extreme when there is a more than adequate number of people who volunteer to do it and the US is not subject to constant military pressure from its neighbors.

I would suggest that the draft is a horrible idea in the current US situation and would cause untold problems for no real benefit. How about we reduce our armed forces instead of expanding them? We can still outspend the next 10 countries and be more than adequately protected.

19. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31

By my count, based off the SIPRI website, we outspend the next 18 states combined (http://www.sipri.org/). Kind of an interesting list. I had no idea that Spain or the United Arab Emerites spent as much as they did, for instance.

But yeah, that's an interesting question. Hypethetically, can we still have a secure state, defend our interests abroad, and abide by our alliances if we, say, cut our spending by an enormous 70%--to, roughly, what China (#2 in defense spending) and Russia (#3 in defense spending) spend on defense, combined, around approximately $210 billion? Right now we have enormous heartache in the Pentagon about cutting our defense spending just a couple of percentage points.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's probably because the US economy is so dependent on a near-permanent state of war that large segments of it would start collapsing if the money was spent in other areas than where military spending has been constant for what, near a century? There are probably literally millions of people in the US who owe their livelihood to the military directly or indirectly. And probably another few (dozen) thousand who have been getting and still are getting filthy rich due to their involvement in top-tier military affairs.

Because making insanely large amounts of money magically disappear into private pockets without anyone noticing (or at least not until much, much later) is the easier the closer someone is to the military budgets.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.