1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

English is English... Except if It's English

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Looking back over this thread, and expanding on what HB sorta said (I think), here we do use a mixture between english and american english, with some of our own words thrown in there just to liven things up.

Traditionally, New Zealand spoke english english. Infact, two centuries ago when the colonists first came here, the government, worried about the children picking up different accents and words from the Maori, sent for a load of English teachers from London to teach the children 'proper' english, in order that they don't loose their accent. That obviously didn't work :)

More and more resently - espcially amoung the younger people, and those who spend far too much time infront of TV/computers - people have been using more and more American terms. Hearing Deathmage talking about Cookies always annoys me. It's biscuits!

Words like Football here always causes a bit of confusion. Gridion is more often used to describe American Football, but then Soccer is commonly used as well. I guess to most people football refers to Soccer - once again, our british origins.

Mixed in with that confusion of languages we also have a few Maori words dotted here and there. Can't think of any off the top of my head (probably because I'm so use to using them that they seem normal), but I'm sure with a bit of thinking it would be easy to come up with a long list of words that, other than HB and other kiwis, none of you would understand ;)

One thing that I've noticed a lot the last few years, when on the internet, is the use of the word full stop vs period. Here that little dot that goes at the end of the sentence is called a full stop, but when I say full stop when speaking with a forgien audience, no one has a clue what I'm speaking about. Don't know if that's a kiwi thing, or a more widely used word.

Just a quick glance over the lists of words so far in this thread, we generally use:
    Petrol.
    Soccer.
    Sausages.
    BBQ.
    Boot.
    Bonnet.
    Rubber.
    Chips (instead of fries)
    Both Cellphone and Mobile, although more and more resently cellphone seems to be taking over.
    Clothing is another that is drifting more and more American, although I still use the English versions.
    Herb.
    biscuit.
    Nappy.
    Footpath.
    Pram.
    Aluminium.
    Chips (refering to crisps as well).
    Margarine.
    Rubbish bin.
    Ladder.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes!!

Like whanau, iwi, mana, kai etc?

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yup :) There we go! Thanks.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

How about:
    hospital pass
    kicking for touch
    game of two halves
    swanndri
    it's all about whanau

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    English is my second language, I probably have words "carried over" from American english. Like cookie. I watched Sesame Street as a kid...

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

In America, its cookie. Too bad for everyone else. I ask you not to get angry at the way we speak: it is a dialect, just as Argentinian Spanish (or Mexican, or whatever) is different from Spain Spanish, even though they are the same language. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

And they're cookies :)

7. Harbourboy

But it leads to weird misunderstandings, like the horrible sounding (to us) dish "Biscuits and Gravy".

8. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, it is horrible.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Dialects aren't so bad as mixing dialects or creating impenetrable jargons. The latter aren't actually so bad if people use them in their own company, even if it sounds weird. But I don't like when someone pulls ghetto talk on me. I'll try my best if it seems to be the only way the person can communicate but if it's just a fancy manner of speech, my patience is short. Peculiarities are okay, but I'm not going to put up with confusing fads. No rhyming slangs or anything.

10. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I'd hardly call cockney rhyming slang a "fad". Mixing up the language for comic effect is fairly common place and it often has a fairly easy set of rules to follow. Betty Swalls for example.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.