1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

English is English... Except if It's English

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Sep 9, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Belgians? ;) Sometimes I do, too, and my mother used to. But when I first saw that, I was horrified. :shake:

2. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The thought of it certainly creates an imaginative shudder; probably why the rumor has become so widespread.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Brits ain't the only ones doing the mayo+chips= :yum: An American ex-friend of mine eats them that way. A woman I worked for used to put mayo in her coffee! :sick:

Other Brit words that are weird to me:

Brit-----Kuemper
    ===========
    popping out - going outside
    boot - trunk (really confusing watching Das Boot)
    bonnet - car hood
    fag - cigarette/bundle of sticks
    cheerio (prob. not used anymore) - byebye
    biscuit - cookie
    crisp - chip
    oleo - margarine (this doesn't bug me as my mom calls it oleo, too. :) )
    lager - beer

And this driving on the 'right'/'wrong' side of the road business: what's up with that? So why do a majority of former Brit colonies drive on the 'wrong' (left) side?

4. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Oh! How could we forget the whole "knock me up" and "stop by" thing?

So let me get this straight...do English people put mayo on their fries, or not?

I'm confused...

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    No, I can categorically (sp?... whatever) state that English people do NOT put mayo on chips (at least, the sane ones).
    Most people drown them in vinegar and sprinkle some salt. In Northen England, we tend to let them swim in gravy. Mayo never comes into it. I think that's a European thing.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK.

In NZ, we call it a rubbish bin, but in USA, you'd call it a trash-can. In England, you might call it a dust-bin.

Some of the differences can be shocking. In the USA, you can be served a dish called "Biscuits and Gravy" which sounds horrible, because for the rest of us, a biscuit is a what an American might call a "cookie".

I don't think anyone outside of the USA uses the word "condominium".

In NZ, we say "footpath", but in USA it might be a pavement or a sidewalk.

In NZ, we order a flat white (coffee with a little bit of foamed milk on top) but in other parts of the world that might be a cappuccino (which for us has lots of foamed milk) or a latte (which for us would be about 90% milk)

I had never heard of the words 'duplex' and 'semi-detached' to describe houses before I visited England.

I was ridiculed when I went to USA and asked for someone to pass me a 'rubber' to correct a mistake made in pencil. Apparently, that is what Americans call a condom. I should have asked for an eraser.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    American: stockings or pantyhose
    British: tights

A tear in said garment would be a run in America but a ladder in England.

In America, knickers are knee-length pants, usually worn by small boys but also as part of a fencing uniform. In British parlance, they're underwear for the lower half.

And while travelling where British is spoken, do yourself a favor and don't refer to your waist- or belt-bag as a fanny pack! :lol:

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, that's why we always laugh that in America they actually have a sports team called the Knicker-bockers. Might as well call them the Underwear team.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Dutch. Anyone who's dated a girl from Holland knows that. ;)

10. Harbourboy

Schools:

NZ - American
    Primary school - Elementary school
    Intermediate school - Junior High
    College - HigH School
    University - College

Also, the whole deal with "freshmen" and "sophomores" etc is completely unheard of in NZ, other than something that goes on in American teen movies.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Hate to bring seriousness into this fun topic, but NY Knickerbockers are called that *because* they wore knickers (knee length pants) when they played. Will someone explain the driving thing to me?

12. chevalier

Media:
    I utterly hate that stuff with passion, though I can't tell you why. Perhaps because I generally don't like silly naming, perhaps because I generally hate silly words, perhaps because I generally hate the excessive urge that people seem to have. Don't know. But I hate those.

13. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think this may help answer your question Kuemper

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_021b.html

I think there's some more school differences;
    grade - year (as in year one instead of first grade)
    kindergarten - reception

And let's not forget, arse is ass in Britain, unless you're refering to a donkey.

[ September 10, 2005, 04:08: Message edited by: Lost_Meme ]

14. Harbourboy

It's still funny to have a serious sports team called the New York Underpants.

We drive on the left in NZ as well.

Expanding this topic a wee bit, we use the metric system in NZ, whereas USA and England do have something in common in that much of the old imperial measurement system is still popular in both of those countries.

Also, in NZ, we clean the floor with a 'vaccuum cleaner', not a 'hoover'.

And when we sell all our household junk, it is at a 'garage sale', not a 'yard sale' or a 'car-boot sale'.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I tend to call them "first-years" or "first year students".

Also we wear a raincoat; brits wear a mac.

There's also the issue of the pronounciation of words. To cut a funny story short, some guy asked me for "cheers." After he saw me stare blankly for a few seconds, he pointed to a nearby "chair."

16. chevalier

Media:
    "Newbies" do just fine. And "fresh meet" sounds somewhat better than "freshmen". Well, just joking. :shake: But "sophomores" is weird. Really. Juniors, seniors, freshmen, not so bad. But sophomores? IIRC young academics are called households or something similar at some unis.

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Sophomore can mean 'second', if you read the adjective definition.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

malaysia: hand phone

The difference, i think, relates to its environment. Malaysia, obviously, has more people that knows some English than those who mastered English. "Hand" is an easy word for everyone, thus "hand phone" is adapted by the public.

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly! That'd be us. Anybody who has seen Pulp Fiction could have known. :) There are more countries here who do, Belgians for example. The mayo in other countries is, of course, not as good as we Dutchies and Belgians use. No wonder they don't like it... :p

I always thought Americans used a bit more complex words, like 'elevator' for 'lift'.

20. chevalier

Media:
    @kuemper: Yeah, but only used about schools and students. It sucks. Plain "second-year" is way better IMHO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.