1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Election 2004 - Live Coverage

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Harbourboy, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Dead on Caleb. Two words why Kerry is going to lose:

Religious Right

Or if you prefer: White Protestants

Or even another: Moral Values

And no one seems to be picking up on this one: Gay Marriages. It was on the ballot in 12 different states, and finished last in each one. All the states had an option of full ackowledgement, civil unions, or no ackowledgement. In every case, no ackowledgement finished first (around 40%), civil unions finished second (around 30%), and full acknowledgement finished last (around 20%).

The people from the preceeding groups and with the preceeding concerns voted overwhelmingly for Bush throughout the country - somewhere around 3:1.

Is was hoping that some other two word phrases would have dominated the voting:

Economy sucks

Unemployment Rises

Iraq War

Health Care

Social Security

I could go on, but there is no point. I was hoping what little faith I had left in humanity would be affirmed - no such luck.

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

EDIT: nevermind, I'm off to sleep.

[ November 03, 2004, 16:27: Message edited by: Apeman ]

3. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

You guys all go and get some sleep, then we can intelligently discuss the issues that drove this election, eh?

Taking our bibles and guns, huh?

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just to be my normal pain in the ass I feel the need to make a few comments.

To call the Republican voters "stupid" is very ironic since it is the Democrats that count on the minority votes and it is the minorities that historically have the lowest test scores.

To "lose faith in humanity" because more people disagree with you than agree with you shows a lot of hubris. In an election people decide what is important to them and vote accordingly. Of the issues that you mentioned they may not be as important in other parts of the country as where you are. Here in MA I'm seeing a lot of people change jobs and the economy is much better than it has been in years, we have awesome health care (for people who work), and social security isn't that much of an issue as we send our old people to warmer climates

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, Americans voted, and they seem to have chosen. Like it or not, there's not much anyone can do about it, so we'll just have to hope for the best (or perhaps more realistically, hope for "not the worst").

Rallymama and dmc in 2008!

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Thanks for the wakeup call, TGS. :mommy:

The minorities have low test scores because historically, the conservatives, AKA the South, have deprived them of educational equality ever since the Jim Crow laws.

7. Bion Gems: 21/31

@TGS- well, now you have it: the Republican's big chance. A second term president with a majority of the popular vote, a solid hold of both houses of the legislature, and a chance to stock up the judiciary, including the Supreme Court, with conservatives. Basically, whatever the Repubs want, they can get. However, Clinton and the Democrats will no longer be an excuse: if the economy tanks (and if Iraq, Israel/Palestine, or North Korea gets worse), the Repubs will have no one to blame but themselves.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Now Bush can truly rule like a king.

9. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I agree with Bion:

Cheney-"When we won the Gulf War, the first person I thanked was Ronald Reagan."

Cheney...Something, something, I blame Clinton. (Clinton's army won in Afganistan)

Looks like when this administration tanks again in the next four years, they will have nobody to blame but themselves. I would be hard-pressed to blame Clinton for anything that goes wrong, not like I would blame him for the current problems anyways.

I doubt typical Americans will care though.

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I guess we'll just have to hope for the best. Try to affect change at a local level.

BTW, I voted for Bush (not without misgivings). Kerrys stance on abortion sealed it for me. I guess I'm an "idiot", "White Protestant" (actually mixed race Catholic), "stupid american hick" (well, I am a hick, but an educated one with a fairly high IQ) who is "devoid of critical thought".

I love you guys! :)

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @TGS - Keep in mind I didn't have a whole lot to start with, so it wasn't a great loss.

I also must thank you for being a master of the obvious. I really had no idea that people cast thier vote based on the issues that are most important to them. I also didn't realize that not everyone agrees with my opinion. You have my heart felt thanks for clearing that up for me.

My hubris stands not in people disagreeing with my opinion, but the fact the men and women dying in Iraq, and I don't just mean the Americans. Tens of thousands have been killed, maimed, displaced from thier homes, etc. I cast my vote for the canidate I thought would be the best to correct that situation. It pains me that the religious right who are "pro-life" seem to care more about life yet to be brought into existence than life being lost by the thousands.

The most ironic part about all of this, is that inaction would have served Bush well after Afghanistan was delt with. I feel that if Bush had NOT attacked Iraq, he would have won by a landslide, as his leadership in the weeks following 9/11 was exemplary.

@Jack Funk - Stange - I was under the impression that New Hampshire went blue. Of course, it appears that most of the votes in the country were irrelevant when compared to Ohio.

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Aldeth

Yes, NH did go blue, but I'm not the only one who voted.

BTW, I did not vote on party lines. I voted for a Republican senator, a Libertarian Representative, a Republican Governor (who lost), 5 Republican state representatives, and 5 Democrat state representatives. So, including the president, I voted for 8 Republicans, 5 Democrats, and 1 Libertarian.

Want to know how I arrived at my decision? By researching each candidate and choosing based on their stand on the issues.

Strange, but true! :)

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hey Jack, long time no post! Nice to see that you're still around.

About what I expected, but not what I had hoped. My wife appears devastated, but she's a long time staunch Democrat whereas I am a cynical libertarian.

Never underestimate the power of the religious right in this country. From a strategic standpoint, I think it's obvious that Rove and crew ran a much smarter campaign this time around than in 2000. Rather than trying to worry too much about undecided voters, they focused on making sure that all of their strength and base got out of the freakin' house and voted this time (I read a stat that, in 2000, over 4 million evangelical christians did not vote -- and you all know that 3,999,999 of them would vote Bush, with the last one too confused to do it right).

Got to give them credit for a smart campaign. Also, it looks like Ohio is only nominally this year's Florida, as there is no evidence of tampering on the scale of Florida, and Ohio has a pretty well set procedure for provisional votes, etc., and is also rather transparent.

We'll see in a couple of weeks when all the votes are tallied.

By the way, the reports are that only 10% or less of the 18-25 demographic actually voted. That's pretty sad and I don't want to hear the whining about Bush from the college campuses unless the whiners can prove that they voted. Who knows what difference they would have made (unlike Nader, who made no difference at all this year).

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Looks like no mods were around to look after this thread... too late to do anything about the previous rule breakings, so make sure there aren't any more from this point on, at least.

4 more years of Bush... the thought of having to deal with Bush in AoDA for another 4 years is almost enough to make me cry. We'll see if Bush manages to drive US to ruination enough over the next 4 years that the people of America won't elect another Republican... but I doubt it. God bless America!

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I guess we don't have to wait for the count in Ohio, I just saw a bit that says Kerry called to concede.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  17. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Looks like badwidth will be through the roof for you then Talunatain.

Anyone care to chip in to send Bush some victory pretzles. :)

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    EDIT: My bad - I posted while other's were posting about Kerry upcoming concession.

19. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Thank you America for voting for the candidate you would rather have a beer with in one of the most important elections ever.

Edit: My mistake, a little grumpy to be paying good attention to rules. I am American though, so at least I have a good reason to be grumpy.

[ November 03, 2004, 21:15: Message edited by: Rednik ]

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Look above Renik. Do you see where Tal directed everyone to make sure that the forum rules are adhered to for the rest of this thread? That includes you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.