1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Eighth Dimension: #58 Ouch...

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by 8people, Nov 15, 2009.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I finally sucked it up yesterday and looked into getting an electric. Signed up for a newsletter on one site so I get information on offers, new products and information on an all terrain variation as it gets developed.

This is going to cost me a fortune!

The cheapest chair I've found so far that would be suitable is still over £900 and realistically I need one before next term starts.

My DLA (Disability Living Allowance) should be used for things like this but it currently goes into my mothers account to pay for her petrol. I don't exactly get much either from it. I can barely afford to live in my flat at the moment either so savings will take a very long time.

Last option I really have left is to set up the Access To Learning thing that university does to provide extra money and use that purely to save up.

Now £900+ is for a basic option that goes very slowly, is pretty much usable on straights only. It finds hills a struggle and I wouldn't be able to take it to LARP or go anywhere in the country without damaging it, possibly irrepairibly :rolleyes:

I've started making inquiries on all-terrain powered wheelchairs. With a lot of the kerbs and pavements in Southampton with a normal chair I would still need help getting up kerbs or having to get up and pull the chair myself which some days I can't even manage in the manual chair. I'd have to take the manual chair to LARP which means I have to wait, sometimes for hours at a time, for Kev if I want to get food or go back to the tent. It's tiring being limited and I'd pay pretty much anything to feel like I've got some more of my freedom back.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Why exactly is your DLA being used for your mother's petrol instead of what you need to get around? I don't know much about the situation with your parents so I'll try not to make any overly negative comments about what kind of a mother wouldn't make getting you an electric chair a priority, but aren't you old enough to be in charge of your own finances, especially your own DLA?

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    When we got DLA she was having to ferry me to hospital most days and losing a lot of time at work. Last time we tried to change bank accounts for the DLA to be sent to they ended up cancelling my DLA entirely and I had to appeal to get it reinstituted. They then continued to send it to my mother :rolleyes:

As it is with the amount of DLA I get it would still take years to save up enough money for a chair I can use around Southampton without an assistant. A decent electric chair still costs thousands of pounds. From what I remember the DLA was something like £80 a month at one point, I may be mistaken. I remember it wasn't enough to cover my last wheelchair and my mother had to pay for that one herself.

Will be having to talk to my mother later about it I keep missing her when she tries to phone me :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.