1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

eHarmony sued for excluding gays

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), May 2, 2008.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Which helps noone. But as long as they don't lie while generating negative PR, they're within in their rights.

But these people want to coerce me into an association, by using shame or their economical powers. They think that it is proper to rob me of my rights, and they call themselves a civil rights movement?! How ironic! They're wasting all their energy in giving me bad name and boycotting my services, so that in the end, my business would be ruined. Then all their efforts would be for naught because access to my service was their goal.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Don't you think you're painting with too broad a brush, here? I doubt most homosexuals give a flying **** about whether or not Eharmony services them.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Let me be more specific, then -- the radical activist gays are just trying to get some publicity at the expense of a legitimate business. Hope that clears things up.

The Great Snook likes this.
  4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    They cannot rob you of your rights. Not by attempting to coerce you into altering your behavior, at any rate.

I'd be shocked if anyone using these boards had not attempted to use some form of power in order to alter someone else's behavior. What these activists are doing is different only in degree, not kind. They're private citizens. You're private citizens. Rights don't enter into it; the law does.

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Better, but still a bit off. Some gay rights activists (not all gay rights activists are gay*) who aren't necessarily all that radical along with a goodly number of homosexuals (most whom probably aren't activists) that were contacted by the folks putting the lawsuit together and agreed to have their names added to the complaint are trying to get E-harmony to provide service to homosexuals by taking them to court, realizing that even if they lose (and knowing they probably will), E-harmony may still reverse its position simply to avoid any potentially negative publicity. Now I don't think these folks have a case, but I'm neither a lawyer nor an expert on the statutes regarding equal protection in the State of California. While excluding homosexuals from a matching service is legal in the United States, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's legal in every state.

* While they may not be listed as part of the class, it is likely that there are a good number of heterosexuals on the legal team, collecting signatures, and providing funding for the suit.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I doubt that E-Harmony would reverse its position regardless of the "bad" press. I try to use neutral terms when referring to people who file lawsuits like this because if I used the terms that first pop into my head, I'd be in trouble. Activists of this sort of any stripe or orientation who use costly lawsuits to "make a point" draw my ire.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.