1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Effigies?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Oct 31, 2008.

?

Is execution in effigy:

1. Perfectly appropriate free expression

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Legal and defendable, but not appropriate or tasteful

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. Completely wrong and, if not already illegal, should be made so

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm with the "Legal but distasteful" crowd. Freedom of speech also means freedom to say silly things, or to say things in a silly way.

Saying something in a silly way, for example by hanging a politician in effigy, will normally make people less likely to listen to your point. He would have gained less attention, but appeared more trustworthy to people, if he had simply come out and said, "I don't like Sarah Palin because ....". Hanging her in effigy will draw cheers from some (but far from all) of the people who dislike Palin but I sincerely doubt it will change anyone's mind about her.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    As a student of the Revolution, I see nothing wrong with tarring & feathering. Or slavery. Or property requirements for voting.

Waitaminute... :p

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    AM - There you go again, picking on America's favorite pastimes.... :)

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Chandos, your quote on this revolution you are a student of doesn't exactly paint a very nice picture of effigies. This one got one property burned, another stoned (oddly) and looted, and would likely have cost people their lives if anyone had tried to intervene or even reason with them. Not exactly what I would want to encourage.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's the same thing King George III said....

Ok, I'll be serious:

The Stamp Act was much hated by the Revolutionaries, and not because the taxes were all that much...it was because of two things:

1. What bothered them was the notion of "taxation without representation." They were taxed as Englishmen, but not represented in Parliament. In other words, the colonists were treated as second class citizens.

2. Because of this, they were denied basic rights: they were subject to Writs of Seizure and forced to accommondate British soldiers without any say. Thulsy, they took some very harsh measures to make their point. Yes, AM makes some valid points, but without the effort of the Sons, the Revolution might have taken longer and the results may not have been as desirable. And to counter those criticisms, let me give you some accomplishments: Trail by jury of your own peers, freedom of religion, freedom of speech and the Press. All this grew out of the experience of the Revolutionaries with Parliament and the Crown of England. The road to liberty is never easy....

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Chandos, I am familiar with our history. I know who the Sons of Revolution were. I also don't think it was the best way to do things. The ends don't justify the means.

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    NOG - Well, that's an interesting debate. Since you believe that the end does not justify the means, you must oppose many of the "means" that are being used in the current War on Terror, which include torture and the "special handling" of prisoners, and denying the rights of detianees to be confronted and charged by the accusers and to have access to a fair trial.

The reason I bring this up is because I agree with you, that the end certainly does not justify the means.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Everyone who isn't a pacifist thinks that, to some degree, the ends justify the means.

The correct quotation, of course, is that the ends must justify the means, which is an altogether different thing.

9. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Hmm, AM, just like NOG meant to say he is familiar with "The Sons of Liberty." The Sons of the Revolution were not around until long after the Revolution. But it all means the same thing -- really.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Ok, so I'm not good with names. :p

Chandos, yes, I do object to torture of prisoners in all cases except known terrorists (you caught them with the bombs and maps to your camp). In that case, the means is justified, though the ends must also be justified (no torture just for kicks).

AMaster, that only works if you assume that violence is always unjustifiable, which I don't.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.