1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Educational Insanities #4 - Teaching Placement

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Rotku, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

As part of the one year post-grad teaching degree we have to attend two teaching experience placements, each seven weeks long. During that time we spend the each day at an assigned school, with an associate teacher. Our first placement starts in 10 days time, on Monday the 21st. It's our first real chance to get out into a school and... well, learn and practice.

Nervous. Excited. Scared. Worried. Expectant. Impatient.

We just received an email an hour or so ago with the details of our first placement. I was hoping for a Year 5-8 (9-12 years old), at a school either close to me (fairly central) or close to my parents place (just over an hour outside the city). Ended up with a New Entrant class (those five year olds who just start school), at a place mid-way between here and my parents.

Titai Bay School
    Associate Teacher : Gillian
    Year Level : Year 1 - New Entrance

School Description (2008)
    Decile rating 3 (socio-economic level, rated between 1-10, with 10 highest)
    Teaching Staff 15
    Students 300
    53% boys, 47% boys
    44% Maori, 37% Pakiha (NZ European), 5% Samoan, 6% Other Pacifika, 8% Other

The school generally has very good reviews (at least in 2008), with a good leadership and good quality teachers. They're involved in a few programmes testing out new styles of teaching with the Ministry of Education, aimed at lower decile schools.

I have to keep a daily journal during my seven weeks there, so am going to be doing it here for simplicity. So apologies now for 35 entries that will soon be popping up labelled "TE1 Day 1", "TE1 Day 2" etc.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe Gillian will be hot! Aren't the youngsters always the ones with the young, hot, female teacher? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.