1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"EasyTutu" Distribution of Tutu

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Macready, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Macready Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hello -

Hey, guess what? I think you just found a ramification of not having BG2 around anymore. I renamed my BG2 folder and tried running EasyTutu -- exact same behavior (no BI movie, no Sarevok movie). Renamed it back to normal, and everything worked again.

Try reinstalling BG2 to the same folder it lived in when EasyTutu was installed (change of folder or CD drive used for install will necessitate editing of EasyTutu baldur.ini).

2. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Ok, so I going to play all the way from BG I to ToB :) , and is the first time that I will use mod's, so I?m trying to be as cautions as I can be with the order of installation, hence my question.

Therefore, here is the list:

? BG ?the original saga? (TotSC included)
    ? BG II SoA & ToB
    ? Bioware & Baldursdash patches (BG1,TotSC,SoA and ToB)
    ? Easy Tutu
    ? BoM item pack
    ? Berserker Minsc by Drew
    ? SP Cloak of Mirroring by Extremist
    ? Ease of Use
    ? BG2 & ToB Level 50 Patch

Well, I think that is it; if anyone recommends any other mod, please do although I do not want any that make the game harder (sorry ;) ).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  3. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Maurolava -

Your best bet would be to work the major stuff first, then the minor fixes to avoid overwriting important files. While I may not be an expert modmaster, here's my suggestion:

• Baldur's Gate - The Original Saga
    • Baldur's Gate II - Shadows of Amn
    • Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Bhaal
    • Official BioWare Patches
    • BaldurDash Patches
    • EasyTutu
    • Ease of Use
    • BoM Item Pack
    • Baldur's Gate II SoA & ToB Level Fifty Patch
    • Berserker Minsc
    • The (finally) Non-Ugly Mirroring Cloak
    PS. If you don't think you're ever going to play the original BG1 without EasyTutu, you may choose to uninstall it after step #5.

As for other mods, you should definitely take a peek here and there.

Edit: Edited as per Drew's suggestion.

[ January 21, 2006, 00:46: Message edited by: Ziggyveld ]

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Your order is fine, but the level patch won't be necessary for Tutu. Also, I'd reccomend taking a look at Tutu tweaks available at G3. Also you don't need to patch BG1 before running easy tutu. You only need to patch BG2. Make sure that you install the baldurdash fixpack before running easy tutu.

5. Maurolava

@Ziggyveld-

I figured as much, but where in the list should i put EasyTutu??

In any case thank's for the links and the quick response!! :thumb:

6. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

@Maurolava -

:doh: Sorry, I've edited it now - EasyTutu should be right after the official (and Baldurdash, as Drew mentionned) patches from BioWare's website.

[ January 21, 2006, 00:48: Message edited by: Ziggyveld ]

7. Maurolava

@Drew-

Does Tutu tweaks works with EasyTutu? ( I guess am a little confused between BGtutu & EasyTutu)

8. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

@Maurolava -

So as long as you skip the Core Bugfixes (as they are already included in the EasyTutu installation process), you can add any of the neat components as you will - from what Macready has told us -, although make *sure* you're installing it in your EasyTutu folder and *not* your current BG2 directory.

BGTutu and EasyTutu are close cousins, as Macready pointed out - EasyTutu has the same exact features, except that they're enclosed with a much user-friendly package. Anything compatible with one should work with the other.

EDIT:

Right from the description, written by CamDawg:

This means it should be compatible with EasyTutu with relatively no problems. However, since you're using EasyTutu, Tales of the Sword Coast and Throne of Bhaal become mandatory. As for its install order, it's the last on the list as recommended by CamDawg.

Happy Bhaalspawn-hunting!

[ January 21, 2006, 00:38: Message edited by: Ziggyveld ]

9. Maurolava

Well, that basically covers all my questions, thank you Ziggyveld & Drew for all the help. :thumb:

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sounds good... but why aren't the patches included in the installer? If you got the games it would then require you only to install them and run the Tutu setup. :hmm:

11. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

@Wirhe -

One word: filesize.

Unfortunately, not everyone is graced with the joys of broadband or highspeed internet connections...

However, I do somewhat agree with your idea, and a link to both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal patches in the EasyTutu readme could be a great addition.

12. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

@Drew:

Applying Baldurdash updates is not necessary for EasyTutu (but still fine if you do it). EasyTutu comes Baldurdashed whether the original installations are that way or not.

@Maurolava:

Absolutely. EasyTutu=Tutu. Different installer, Tutufix core bug fixes preinstalled. Otherwise they should behave identically.

@Ziggyveld:

Throne of Bhaal is not mandatory for EasyTutu -- there is a "SoA only" version for those without ToB. TotSC is mandatory with EasyTutu, for reasons I'll avoid discussing here to keep things more to the point.

@Wirhe:

Mainly because I consider it dangerous practice to be distributing BGMain.exe. I doubt Bioware would sanction such a move, so I don't do it. Hence the latest BG2 patch is a required prerequisite, and EasyTutu then "Tutu-izes" it by performing a small hex patch to it (to the EasyTutu copy of it, I should say -- your BG2 installation is untouched). Bandwidth is also always an issue, as Ziggyveld pointed out.

13. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

@Macready, there are files(overide, movie and such) but non of the icon/folders start the program. I'm not at home right now so I can't check for sure, but I'm pretty sure that there was no BGmain.exe, and if it was there it didn't start the program. I just ran scandisk yesterday before I started loading because I had a crash due to a power outage and had to reformat the hard drive and load windows XP again, so my pc is as clean as it gets. I even went as far as uninstalling all three programs and reinstalling them making sure that I fully installed everything and DL the patches.

Do I understand you to say that it uses BGmain.exe to start tutu? If so, can I manually install BGmain.exe to my BGtutu folder? Does BGtutu start just like BG!(the same screen and graphics) If this is true, when do you see a notable change? I understood from reading this thread that tutu improved the graphics. All three programs are installed on my D: drive which is an 80 gig HD with 60 some odd gig left empty. I'm sorry if my former post was at all offensive, I had spent the entire night (9 hours) reformtatting and reinstalling windows on both of my PCs and then reinstalling all of the programs we use on a regular basis. Did I mention that I run Win 98SE on my old PC and have to manually install all of the drivers because I have pieceworked the PC so much the Master that came with it no longer has all the drivers on it. To say that I was frustrated that it didn't work after two tries at installing all three prgrams was unsuccessful would be a bit of an understatement, but that does not excuse my rudeness!

PS where in upstate NY do you live?

14. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31

Interesting - are all the Baldurdash components installed (True Grandmastery, Multi-Class Grandmastery, etc.) or is it the Core-only fixes? Or do you consider the whole Baldurdash components as "Core fixes" in your book?

15. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

@Ziggyveld:

The Baldurdash bug fixes and game text updates are included. None of the tweaky stuff.

@Brallrock:

The EasyTutu folder should have a BGMain.exe, yes. That is the program you execute to launch Tutu. I'd really like to hear the exact situation when you get home: is BGMain.exe in your EasyTutu folder; if so, what is the file date on it; what happens when you double-click it? In fact, try getting to a command prompt in your EasyTutu folder, and then typing the following:

dir /s /o:n > easytutu.txt

That will create a full directory listing of your installation and write it to easytutu.txt. Then PM me so you can send it to me.

To answer your question, you'll know you are playing Tutu instead of BG2 as soon as the intro movies (Black Isle, WOTC, and the other one) finish playing.

You really weren't that rude, but I could tell you were frustrated. I am sorry -- EasyTutu is supposed to be easy. I really don't WANT to rename it to AngryTutu or FrustratingTutu, so let's try to figure your problem out. :) If you don't mind working with me a bit, I'm sure we can sort you right out. I for one would really like to know if the installer failed somehow in this instance, or if something else is going on.

16. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I am sure that the biggest problem is the person installing it. I will follow your instructions and PM you the needed data. Maybe you can refresh my memory on how to get command prompt on XP, I am much more proficeint with Win98SE.

17. Macready Gems: 6/31

Hello -

Start->Run, then type cmd and click OK.

D: then <ENTER> to get to a D:bad: prompt.

Then cd \foldername to get to the folder in question. The cd command under XP accepts wildcards, so if EasyTutu was installed in D:bad:Programs\BaldursGateTutu, you could type

D: then <ENTER>
    cd \pro*\bal* then <ENTER>

to get there. You just need to make sure the part before the asterisk is unique (e.g., there is an ambiguity in the above example if two folders start with the letters "pro").

18. Maurolava

Hi, does anyone has the link or knows the place where I can find the baldurdash patches?? :o

19. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Thanks, I can't wait to get home so I can get closer to figuring this out.

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.