1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dynaheir, stay or leave?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Bassil Warbone, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Simply killing an NPC is fine in an unmodded game, but I'm playing BGT and TDD where some of the scripts are altered.

Plus, doesn't Minsc attack whatever is killing Dynaheir if is drops below a quarter HP?

2. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Doesn't he go beserk?

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I'm think that only happens in BG2 (though it obviously wouldn't be Dynaheir there).

4. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31

I know he reacts that way in BG2 with Aeria(?) the wingless elf cleric/mage. Now that I think about it, I don't believe he's ever berserked in any game I've had him in party. And I've had him in lots of parties.

Dynaheir's lack of access to the Illisionary school is a little much for me. Best defensive spells in both games.

Edwin is locked out of the Divanation school. Small spell list, but has a few really good anti-mage spells. Namely Despell and True Seeing. However, I typically run with 2 clerics in party who can both cast the same spells at earlier levels.

Edwin gets my vote

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Don't forget the +2 spells per level :p

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You can take Dynaheir without Minsc. Just never bother to speak to the big stupid hamster fondling oaf and leave him standing like a tree of idiocy right in his starting spot. Then if your really in a mood play with those phoenix guards and take them down near him when you kill them and they will kill him for you. It's actually kind of satisfying if you are like me and his (barely) one dimensional outlook to the world and intellgience of a pet rock gets on your nerves.

I tend to take her because I play two mages. Can't stand Xan's complaining and lack of fireballs and I don't like to have to watch my alignment for Edwin's complaining butt.

There is also the fact that I do use the spells like Dispel Magic(rather important for those damned mage battles). I'm rather adept at protecting my mages without needing to waste half their limited slots with buffing spells as well. Sleep I just don't use that often. I don't know why.

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Eh?

Dispel Magic is an Abjuration and True Seeing is level 6- whihc you'll never reach in BG.

But I do agree that Edwin is a superior mage.

8. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31

Really? I though Despell was Divination. No biggie though seeing as I don't like to use it much at all. Too difficult to time the hit just right so as not to affect buffed and protected party members. Not much worse than getting your front line fighters AC in the deep negatives and protected from evil/fire/ice/acid/etc/etc then lose it right before they hit that first wall of resistence.

So, besides Identify, what is all in the Divination school makes having Edwin a pain rather than having a pure mage?

9. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Detect invisibility can be a heavily used divination spell in the first game that he can't use.

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Ahh but a cleric can learn that spell ...

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    As starwalker said, Detect Invisibility is probably the main other Divination spell used. Obviously, it can be cast by a cleric- though mine tend to be hitting things and healing everyone rather than casting it. Besides, it is hardly essential. Identify really is the main one that you lose in BG, the importance of this loss is up to yourself.

12. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31

So, what we are boiling this thread down to is "leave the goodie-goodie mage and take the much better built and more fun evil mage."

The only thing that anyone has mentioned that says that an (unmodded) Dynaheir is better than Edwin is Rep score. But playing slightly evil isn't that difficult and can be much more profitable.

I call this thread to a vote!!!!

Keep or leave!?

My vote: Leave!

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Oh, that's an easy one. If you don't mind keeping your Reputation rather low and have no RP reason to play totally Good, then Edwin is a superior mage by far.

14. ister Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Detect Invisibility (mage) and Invisibility Purge (cleric) are not exactly the same. Detect Invisibility is slightly better because
    -it will not reveal invisible or hidden party members
    -it will reveal enemy thieves who are hiding in shadows.

Anyway I say leave her. If you don't like Edwin's alignment Quayle is a better mage than Dynaheir, and dual classed Imoen or Safana are both much better.

15. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I kept Dynaheir in my party and she served well. She may not be the best mage in the game but she is still a useable NPC. And when my rep. hit 20 I think she deveoped a krush on me :love: !

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.