1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual-Wielding

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Chickavalier, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What is a good combo for ranger/blade/swashbuckler/etc?

EDIT:New gem

[ July 06, 2005, 05:25: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

How do you want to play this charecter?
    I think Katana, LongSword and ShortSword are the best weapons for dual weilding. There are a range of weapons such as Arbane's Sword, Ilbratha, Adjatha the Drinker, Belm, Malakar, Equaliser, Kudane, which can be used in the off-hand.
    Daggers such as Boomerang and Firetooth or the Azuredge axe can act as your ranged weapons. (It is too much of a chore to take out your off-hand weapon, then put a missile weapon in your main and then shoot)

What you put in your main hand is your choice.
    Flail of Ages & Celestial Fury are the coolest imo.

3. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Shrikant, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you cannot put ANY missile weapon in your main hand if you have a weapon equipped in your off-hand, even if it's a "melee-or-ranged" weapon like the Firetooth dagger. It just doesn't work, IIRC. I'm sure someone will say for sure.

The only exception to that is if a mage has a weapon in his off-hand and casts Melf's Minute Meteors; he'll throw the meteors and attack with his off-weapon from a distance! Might be relevant to Chickavalier's character if it's a Blade...

As for dual-wielding purposes, I almost always go for two daggers or two short swords, just for the look... Pixie Prick is GREAT in the main hand for a good part of the game.

4. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have Cernd dual-wield clubs, as it looks cool, but unfortunately he hardly hits anything...

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

For ranger use Celestial Fury and Crom Faeyr
    You can later replace Celestial Fury with Hammer of Runes+5 :)

6. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Crom Faeyr and Runehammer would be mass destruction on legs. Some of my favorite two-weapon style combinations:

Celestial Fury and Arbane's Sword, early in the game.

Crom Faeyr and Skullcrusher +3, for clerics or Minsc when the mood strikes him (and he has points in hammers to spare). Works a dream against the drow hordes.

Hindo's Doom +4 and Angurvadal +4, 22 Strength, protection from undead, and extra fire damage are nothing to laugh at.

Flail of Ages +5 and whatever else in the other hand, crushes mages to death in a couple of swings (the elemental damage disrupts their casting like no-one's business).

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Jaheira can dual-wield clubs well, hehe
    Actually, I'm in a bit of a fix... with a party consisting of PC-monk, Jaheira, Aerie, Keldorn, Nalia (to fill in for imoen) and haer-dalis... I have no one for the FoA!
    I'm thinking of giving Harry a slot with it... it beats most short swords, after all :)

8. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

If you're using flail of ages there really is no need to dual it with anything. Slap on shield of reflection and pound through mages and snipers. I guess subbing in Defender of Easthaven against hard hitting melee oponents might be an option.

@Western Paladin
    Neither Hindo's Doom +4 or Angurvadal +4 add protection against undead. Upgraded hindo stopping death magic is good but not enough enemies use vorpal/deathblow for it to be as worthwhile.

Runehammer/Crom Fayer is a nice dual but you don't get RH till ToB when they're arent too many undead to deal with

for early to mid game dualing short/long swords are the best, but later its hard for them to keep up with Crom or FoA

9. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Oh. I guess I was mistaken. Isn't there a weapon where you have Negative Plane Protection while equipped?

10. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Runehammer +4/+5 & Spectral Brand+5 have negative plane protection but its not the same as protection against the undead. Id rather be ignored that just avoid level drain.

11. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Can death ward stop monk's Quivering palm?

12. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Just tried it and i don't think so, the person wearing hindo still had to make a save to stop it but maybe thats irrelvant and the save is automatic.

13. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Doesn't the Improved Mace of Disruption give immunity to level drain? That's as good as NPP, right?

14. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I usualluy dual wield with Scimitars. They look the coolest. Although there is a serious lack of good scimitars in the game.

15. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Water's Talon+4 - Improved Items Mod
    Spectral Brand +4/+5 -
    Belm+2 - extra attack
    Scimitar+5, Defender - Shame you have to kill drizzt for it

remember its Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To
    Yamato +4
    Usuno's Blade +4

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.