1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual wielding for a druid

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kuemper, Aug 31, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What would be good dual wielding weapons for a druid? I was thinking about clubs and daggers, getting scimitars after that. Thoughts?

2. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Clubs for start. Scimitars later on, especially after you go to Watcher's Keep.
    Daggers only if you imported from BG1 and you have the Longtooth dagger (basically a short sword +2 using dagger proficency). There aren't many good daggers early on.

I used once a fighter/druid with DW Belm and The Root of the Problem.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Sadly, there are no good weapons for druids in vanilla game. Mods do give cool weapons though, Fulcrum is an awesome club, with Item upgrade mod, it gives GM in clubs. Cool if you also have true GM fix. But the best weapon is:Water's Talon+4, that scimitar is so cool, it hits with a range, poisons the enemy badly, drains 2 HP to user per hit, and grants immunity to lots of nasty things, including ABDHW. Best druidic weapon ever!

In a vanilla game you need Belm for extra attack, and then maybe some other dagger. :p

4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    You can get several reasonable clubs even without Item Upgrade, so they are a good bet. Daggers are barely worth it- if you want to be proficient in them, wait until you have got other proficiencies. Scimitars are a good choice after clubs so you can use Belm. When you reach WK, you should get decent weapons of all three varieties.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Concerning Belm: I find the extra attack worthless. I prefer a weapon that can hit what I'm attacking, for one, and for two, being a F/D, I will get enough multiple attacks to negate Belm's special ability.
    Then you aren't looking at all. Even with a plain druid, there are plenty of weapons for them. I can give you a listing if you'd like, but there are a lot of daggers, clubs, spears, quarterstaves, darts and slings in the vanilla game to complement any druid. :p

Daggers: It's an easy weapon to find magical. You get a +1 from CI, a +2 at De'Arnise keep, a +3 and +4 in Ust Natha. Dagger of the Star in ToB will be even more fun once upgraded.

I looked at Item Upgrade and didn't see anything there I liked at all.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Maybe the druid weapons in vanilla game are not up to my high standarts, I do not know, but I really love the Item Upgrade mod. Surely, Fulcrum and Water's Talon are great assets for any fighter of the balance? Ofcourse, they can make your game too easy if you do not have some other mods, so I guess you are right, as always.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    kuemper,

Why do you not like extra attack Belm gives you? You are aware that the extra attack is with your main hand weapon, correct? Even if you can't hit some stuff with Belm (and at +2 it can hit almost everything in SoA).

The most obvious combination I can come up with is Blackblood and Belm. But Blackblood and Gnasher would certainly work too. But as long as you don't mind not having a proficiency point in any type of missile weapons, you can certainly start SoA with ** in clubs, two weapon fighting, and another single handed weapon of your choice (which admittedly would have to be either daggers or scimitars). Looking long term into ToB, daggers just don't cut it. Especially when you have Spectral Brand available to you.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Because that's all Belm does. As I said, it can be easily emulated with my own multiple attacks, GWW and Improved Haste.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    ^Yes, but that's for ToB. There are TONS of weapons in ToB that are more useful than getting one extra attack, I'll grant that. But for a good chunk of SoA, you won't have GWW nor will you have access to enough items or spells to spam improved haste (and if you are soloing that completely destroys my argument, but I don't think you mentioned a solo run). I'm agreeing with your point that Belm is not an end-use ToB weapon. I still contend it is an easy weapon to acquire (provided you don't have the improved Druid Grove compenent installed) very early in the game that can be your offhand weapon for Chapters 2-7.

10. Stardust Gems: 7/31

At the time you hit ToB as a druid scimitars are the obvious choice. With weapons such as spectral band. If you kill Drizzt you do get really good scimitars in SoA.

11. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

:eek: After such advice the most logical thing you could do is to write an e-mail to RAS to apologise for killing his heroes.
    Take it from someone who already did that. :D

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes, but isn't there a mod requried to actually keep the scimitars? I remember vaguely (as I usually don't kill Drizzit) that some dude comes and takes his equipment back from you after you kill him.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

:rolleyes: Ya know, I'm sick of this scimitar rah-rah crap. I'm going with spears and staves and wash my hands of this mess.

I don't see any point in killing Drizzt for 2 reasons.

1) I can (and probably have already) better equipment than what he and his party will drop.

2) Malchor Harpell won't be nagging my butt.

14. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Btw you do realize that only one of Drizzt's scimitars, Frostbrand is useable by druids?
    And Frostbrand is a simple Scimitar +3. In IWD at least it offers 50% Fire Resistance.

You might as well stick with Spectral Brand and Usono Blade.

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I believe it is Ease-Of-Use that disabled the chap who takes the stuff from you.

If you don't want to hear people's opinions on the best way to dual-wield, then why start a topic on dual-wielding? :rolleyes:

The way it is, Belm comes up in many non-druid dual-wielding topics, so you should not be surprised it was mentioned here.

You weren't advised to kill Drizzt for the majority of the equipment that he or his party would drop- just the scimitars. They are good ones that would work well if you had any desire to follow what had been suggested.

Regardless of how you may feel, scimitars do work well for a dual-wielding druid.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's because the other one requires you to be of good alignment to use it. As druids must be true neutral, there's no way they can fulfill that requirement.

Well, that's rather uncalled for. Borderline rude even. I hate to be the one to bring this up, but YOU were the one who asked for opinions. I can hardly believe you are surprised that many people are picking scimitars, especially considering they are one of only three options available.

If you wanted options that DIDN'T include scimitars, you could have specified that. That or you had already decided that you were going with a two-handed weapon anyway, but then one wonders what made you pose the question in the first place?

17. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

RAS should send us thank-you notes every time we kill his boring characters.

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

It provides the Fire Resistance in the BG games too. It's just a little shy about showing it with an icon, but if you look in the character record screen with it equipped, it'll be there.

19. Redrake Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Yes, you're correct. I just checked with Near Infinity. It offers 30% fire resistance. Not as much as in IWD though (and you can find 2 of them in IWD).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.