1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

dual thief into mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tony Tulipstomp, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What level do you dual a thief into a mage? Feel free to add what type kit thief would be better too :)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Swash10 or 15 -> Mage makes a great mage with melee backup if they get in trouble; an M/T probably isn't going to be backstabbing anyway, so there's no downside.

If you do want backstab for some reason, however, you could go with Thief9 -> Mage for a x4, or a Thief13 -> Mage for x5. Assassin is only good for the poison (since there's no way you'd go to level 21 for the uber backstab), and Bounty Hunter might be worth it for the interesting traps, but you have to compare the advantages against getting fewer skill points.

3. Desuma Malevois Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

IIRC a Bounty Hunter (with an 18 DEX ) dualled to mage at level 13 gave enough skill points to put Find Traps and Open Locks to 100%, Set Traps to 80%, and enough points left over to allow for decent stealth skills. The Mercykiller ring (available in the Adventure Mart w/ Bonus Merchants installed) gives +20% to Set Traps and stealth skills, so IMO the character would have sufficient skill points for what needs to be done. I like the BH for his ability to "throw" his special traps, and think it makes a very nice dual with mage.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Depends on what party I have. Always, I'll max FT and OL to 100%. If no one else can PP, I get that as high as I can (usually 100% due to potions and gloves). Sometimes this can be done at charcter creation, meaning you can dual at level 8 at the start of the game.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Hmm you gave me an idea! This may be my new character build for my next game. I plan to start as a Faithful Rogue kit (a thief kit with some clerical spells as abilities) and once I hit lvl 12 (as a new clerical ability is gained which I forgot now), I will dual into mage. Is this cool? It will be like a mage/thief/cleric sorta. Oh and I may plan to play as a female PC for the very first time, to try Anomen's romance, or Kelsey's, out of curiosity. I heard that making Anomen CN was actually quite fun! Oh and I heard nothing but good things about sweet boy Kelsey.

But this will have to wait as I am now all busy with my current spiffy Chorister boy and his merry go-happy party. (Chorister, Arcane Fist, Keto, Jan, Jaheira, Immy) :wave:

6. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31

Is it me or is m/t and f/m/t totally twinky overpowered? Can just hide/stab hide/stab

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can hide/stab, hide/stab with a plain thief and a few potions, too. Heck, an assasin would actually do a better job at it.

8. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31

just seems insane the amount of pain a f/m/t can bring. Well, F/t for that matter. It almost seems like god mode as that class :p

9. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Drew's right. Assassin's are built for hiding and stabbing and they get the nifty boosts to really get nasty about it with poison and the increased backstab multiplier they can achieve.

10. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31

Whenever I go invisible with my thief in order to backstab, when I try to hide in the shadows it fails. Do I HAVE to hide in the shadows or can I just backstab while invisible?

11. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

you can backstab when you are invisible. whether or not you can hide in shadows WHILE/DURING invisibility i do not know

12. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31

I played a couple times before realizing thief skills scrolled down when adding points, so my hide in shadows wasn't same with move silently. I didn't even know of detect illusion or traps :( It was a good thing my dog bumped the mouse so it scrolled down.

13. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You can hide in the shadows while invisible, atleast with invisibility provided by Staff of the Magi.

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The point of hiding when you are already invisible escapes me... :confused:

15. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@ Silver

You can change weapon suitable for backstabbing.

16. Felinoid

And get a nice overlap between hiding and the SotM's invis. going off when you equip something else, so that you're never visible. But if you don't anticipate the invis. ending (just changing weapons won't do it unless the weapon is what's giving you the invis.), then you wouldn't need to hide.

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Thank you, much obliged. :)

18. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Wouldn't the character you're trying to sneak up on have to overcome two checks to spot you, if you were hiding in shadows and invisible at the same time?

19. Felinoid

What checks? The only ways to spot an invisible or stealthed character are spells, or scripted ignoring of invisibility (liches and dragons come to mind). Otherwise, the check that needs to be made is for a stealthed character to remain stealthed; invisibility is automatic (barring the two methods mentioned above).

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Yup, the victims do not get a check, ONLY the attacker shoudl check to remain in shadows. If he is invisible by spell, scroll, ring or potion, no check is required. Any illusion dispelling spells and dispel/remove magic, level 2 conjuration spell Glitterdust, and thief detect illusions ability will dispel the shadowed or invisible form.

Note that some enemies can see invisible characters like Fel mentioned, like Liches, and Dragons to name a few.

Which reminds me, I guess dispel/remove magic does not affect the invisibility of a character who has hidden in shadows correctly?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.