1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual-class kensai/mage or multi-class fighter/mage?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gafgorkion, Feb 8, 2008.

1. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

hi, i'm bringing this thread up cause i started soloing with a kensai, but something struck me: how the hell will i get to lvl 13 with a class which doesn't have any proper protection versus spells, and on top of that when i'll dual-class him he'll be a 1st lvl mageling and have to get to lvl 14 in order to regain his fighting abilities, this is going to be a nightmare !!

so before i go too far ingame, should i restart and create a multiclass F/M instead ?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The dualing period will be no problem. You'll get tons of XP when you start learning spells from scrolls.
    Spell protection isn't that important, you get saving throws and can drink potions for emergencies. It's harder to survive physical combat. You'll have to pick the easier quests while you're still weak.

3. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

alright thanks, so i'll stay with the K/M then although i'm pretty sure i'll be realoding quite often with those mage fights

also, which are the buff-up and offensive spells i should get in priority ? i'm asking because i dont know much about spellcasting and i've heard some fiends such as demogorgon are immune to 7th lvl spells and below (which thus includes breach and pierce magic)... any help here would be greatly appreciated

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can learn all spells as mage, just do so. The game is easy enough to get through with different tactics. Finding out them is the fun part. If you've trouble with a specific battle just ask.

5. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

i was asking specific spells because i dont want to fall in some situation where i'm stuck in TOB with missing a vital spell you can only find in SOA... by what you said i trust this wont happen

also i really dont get why K/M is so praised, i recall when soloing with a berserker i had almost beaten the game thanks to his ability to rage just like the barbarian... so i guess a B/M would be much easier to build especially in the begining as you can wear armor and berserk allows you to go through most controlling spells, plus you can wear Y'tossi's gauntlets which Kensai cannot, so basically why K/M and not B/M ? whats it that kensais got and berserkers dont ?

just to know, supposing i started all over again with a berserker, at which lvl should i dual calss ? same as for kensai, 13 ?

6. Tharlok Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

The Kensai will do more damage than the berserker because of the "Kai-ability". Also, a kensai gets a bonus of -1 to weapon speed every 4 levels, which basically makes sure you always strike first in a round. Since the kensai can't wear armor it makes perfect sense to dual to a mage (or a thief). In ToB monsters WILL hit you regardless of AC so the most important thing is to kill them as fast as possible. But the rage of a berserker is usefull so it is basically a matter of taste.

7. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

i see your point but to be honest the kai ability isn't that astounding compared to what berserker's rage gives your char, plus the -1 to weapon speed per 4 lvl bonus ends when you'll dual-class at lvl 13, and berserkers can get gauntlets i mentioned earlier to make up for the small speed gap

and roleplay wise its not very satisfying to throw into battle a kensai knowing he can get controlled in many ways by spellcasters (i've even had a hard time with hobgoblin shamans casting hold, i had to lure them out of their band to get rid of them!! i mean hobgoblins come on....), so just reloading endlessly hoping "this time it'll work out, my kensai shall prevail" isn't very interesting because you're just hoping for a succesful save roll, which isn't tactical at all

so i think i'll be switching to B/M instead, K/M isn't really meant for solo imo since in his early build he's just too weak and relies only on sheer luck to emerge victorious from mage battles, its just too bad as i heard K/M do immense damage at high lvl

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are many ways to avoid getting held. Arbane's Sword, for example, grants you free movement and getting the sword is easy.

Many of the Berzerker's skills can be replicated by spells and item effects, while there is only one other skill that has the same effect as the Kensai's Kai - the Blade's Offensive Spin. However, thanks to Rage a Berzerker can be more liberal when choosing which quests to finish early game. Berzerkers also have more freedom when it comes to choosing which weapons to use (especially ranged weapons and shields) or which spells to prepare.

Btw you can replicate Rage effects using spells like Spell Immunity:Enchantment (lvl 5 spell) or items like Arbane's Sword (paralyze spells only), Lilarcor (domination), and Adjatha the Drinker (domination and charm). Use Spell Immunity:Abjuration to counter Imprisonment.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

The most obvious reason to go Kensai is because of the +1 to damage and THAC0 which they get very 3 levels. That is HUGE - at level 13 I think you will have +4 to damage and THAC0. And that is active all the time, no special ability needed, no getting winded afterwards.

Are you trying to solo with this class?

10. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

yeah i was currently soloing with it but kept getting hit by various spells (stun, fear etc...) so i'm thinking on giving up since roleplay wise you're not supposed to just throw yourself into a fight hoping for a good save roll or try to lure your opponents one by one out of the battle field, you're supposed to go in there knowing you'll normally emerge victorious

11. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Mage spells such as resist fear can provide some protection against those, but nothing to prevent stun I think. Get a freedom of action ring asap, or perhaps scrolls of freedom of action.

The game wasnt really designed to be soloed.

12. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31

Veteran

surely you jest !! this game was unintentionaly made for soloing, i've soloed it with a barb, a zerk, an assassin (but i had to stop since i couldn't backstab dragons), a stalker (a little weak overall) and i'm currently trying with an inquisitor..... soloing is way better than team play, never had so much fun

the only problem is that certain foes like demogorgon or amelissan may prove to be a little tricky to beat, thats why i'm looking for the perfect build to beat the hell out of those two

i'm currently hesitating between F/M or F/C multiclass or B>M dual-class

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.