1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual class into what?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition' started by gibberishh, Apr 26, 2022.

?

What class to dual my Thief into?

Poll closed May 3, 2022.
  1. Wizard

25.0%
  2. Sorcerer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Blade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Monk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Barbarian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Avenger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Druid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ranger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

25.0%
  11. Don't Dual

50.0%
  1. gibberishh Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    True, just wanted to post the update about sanctuary backstabs we were discussing for IWD. Even though this is the wrong forum for it, posting the discovery in IWD2 here as a follow-up to the previous discussion made sense to me.

Heh. There's no such thing as not-useful advice. It's always interesting to study other people's play styles, and maybe work out how to apply them in your own, or for a specific game, or just for a specific party composition. And someone will find it "useful". You're right, for low levels, you have to work with the spells you are given and make the most use of them -- in any game. The differences get wider at higher levels. And at low levels you will have to do everything to gain the upper hand on monsters because of low party HP. At higher levels you can afford to be a little more blasé. I wouldn't dare collect a horde of monsters with a level 3 rogue/thief!

2. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    Another non-IWDEE update: In IWD2, disarming traps while in sanctuary does not break it. If you know where to look for the traps, this can be used as an alternative to invisibility, though be careful about sanctuary running out while you are in the vision of monsters -- invisibility is more reliable. Sanctuary lasts 1 round per level and can run out before you are ready for a fight.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't actually cast the single-target Protection from Evil very often. I don't use Barkskin that much either. I mostly only do it in one of the following scenarios:
    • when prepping for big fights, which there aren't actually that many of in this game, mostly a lot of mobs where my buff spells will run out after one or two skirmishes.
    • Times when the a fight is going poorly to turn the tide. This could be a regular fight when the RNG is not going well for me, or a big fight. Which ties into the next.
    • Times when I get killed in a fight, in which case I reload, and before triggering that fight I start casting buffs. One exception for buffs is the prayer spell, and in IWD games Recitation. They not only buff allies but debuff enemies, so I try to cast it when it can hit enemies as well.
    In any case, once I've buffed the party, I start the fight and hit the enemy with spells, often leading with a prayer and/or curse to lower their saving throws, while having a mage try to cast grease or web, or a druid cast entangle (which I will favor over grease/web simply because of the limited availability of that spell).
    Items of Free Action are particularly valuable for front-liners as I rarely seem to memorize that spell.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  4. gibberishh Gems: 13/31

Media:
    Agree on all counts. Prayer and Recitation are good debuffs. They even affect creatures that are immune to some effect or other or have high saves.

Until yesterday, IWD2 Entangle was not my preferred choice purely because of its outdoor limitation. But as I posted a few hours ago, I've now found a way (bug?) to cast entangle indoors and I love it. However, I use both entangle and web in both games so that the creatures have to save against each per round -- usually one of the saves fails. Just like casting double web.

If I have two arcane casters (like my current party), I will also throw in a stinking cloud on top of that. It's surprising how many creatures are vulnerable to it! If I have just one arcane caster, then it depends on how many spell slots I want to dedicate to disabling vs offensive spells. [IWDEE is undead heavy, so I don't use stinking cloud as much.]

If I'm setting up a kill zone while my rogue is scouting, then casting time doesn't matter. If I'm being ambushed or for some reason can't set up a kill zone, then Web casting time is 2 and Entangle casting time is 4.

Free action items are critical. One advantage of entangle is that there are boots that make you immune to it. In IWD2 you get them fairly early. Don't recall when/where you get them in IWDEE. They are worth holding on to until you can get/afford proper free action items for most of the party. And yes, if you are holding on to a ring of free action and are unwilling to sell it, I WILL pickpocket you. Purvis in Lonelywood gets pinched every time I play! :)

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.