1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drow

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Spudsquisher, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I hope no-one would think that black people saw not enough sun :)

3. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My take on explaining this...
    Their eyes are overly sensitive to light, they have darkvision far better than dwarves and orcs. Since their eyes are so sensitive to light (far better darkvision than dwarves for example), maybe their skin is too? To absorb what little light is in the Underdark.
    If I am not totally mistaken, a black thing does not reflect much light/energy, it absorbs most of it, which might be a necessary trait down there.
    Why this wouldn't affect them more when exposed to sunlight on the surface is beyond me though.
    Well, it's scientific at least :p

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What's scientifical is that anything that lives in the dark for long enough loses all pigment... There are no animals that live under rocks or in the depths of sea where no light ever penetrates that would be black for example. That colourlessness looks white or transparent. One of the principles of evolution is that you drop something you don't need...

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 07, 2001).]

5. Azardu Gems: 9/31

I was under the impression that plants far below sea level were near black in their color, but I guess I was wrong...

6. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I didn't know the drow were plants Azardu. So maybe the drow are black due to that their Chlorophyll needs every scrap of light ;)

Personally I don't think that a comparison with plants are relevant. The underdark may be devoid of light but most probably not of heat.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I think it is good to compare with plants... It's all about needing light or not. But the "Drop What You don't Need" theory isn't totally right... Drizzt has also a pale face however he already saw much sunlight again. Drow's sometimes live above the ground.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    You're basing this new evolution theory of yours on how Drizzt is painted on book covers Headbanger? :p

Drizzt doesn't have a pale face. He's black. All over. The only reason some of the books show his face as white/pale is because it wouldn't stand out of the already dark background otherwise. Check the latest book covers. They're more accurate.

And comparison to plants IS irrelevant. (And wrong, since there are no such plants in the depths where no sun penetrates.) We're talking about animals, or mammals if you want here.

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

There are "black" corals that dwell in very deep sea regions, where little or no light reaches. However, its only the skeletons of these animals that are black, not the 'flesh'.

Aloha
    Vormaerin

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Ah well, the plant thing was possibly a bit irrelevant (unless you share the theory with some that elves do not mate like humans, but procreate through the use of spores, which is an entirely different subject), hey, I even said I was probably wrong :p.

However, as for the evolution theory, we can basically weigh the uselessness of pigments up against the usefulness for body heat.
    Less reflection of light = more absorption, the reason black clothes get so damn hot in summertime. By using that logic, we can assume that the drow would be able to absorb what little light there is down there as body heat which they, for all the coldness of their society, can't live without (unless they are cold-blooded, not warm-blooded like humans, another subject I won't go further into in this message).

Oh, and none of this would probably be valid if you view the Underdark as a _totally_ lightless place. (I don't.) If that is the case, then it would be just fantasy (probably is, anyway).

By the way, can pigments color something/someone totally black?

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

WHat I know from the spare time that I paid attention at school is that the more sunlight people get (also intensivity of sunlight counts) the darker the skin is :)

I think pigment can make something totally black when there is TOTALLY no light... but only the words totally no light is unrealistic.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Headbanger, now your last post is confusing. You say exactly the opposite in your second paragraph of what you state in the first one. And yes, Underdark is TOTALLY black. As a hole. There are no light sources anywhere. The only light there is is artifical or magic. (Glow of minerals can hardly be considered light.)

13. Azardu Gems: 9/31

What is the difference between the light emitted by those underdark plants mentioned and that of a lightbulb?

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Nothing, apart from 100 watts I suppose. :D

15. Azardu Gems: 9/31

Hmm, the lightbulbs I found at home were 40W and 60W :p
    But you're right, it's indeed a difference. And the onyx black skin's ability to absorb heat is also a good deal different from white skin. But probably not enough though... Ah well, I still can't conform to the thought that the place is totally pitch black. Maybe it has something to do with that old infrared vision or whatever being changed to darkvision. Someone please explain how darkvision would work in a lightless enviroment.

16. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

there's no light in underdark in visible spectrum. Other than that, there are plants, elements etc radiating UV light, and heat sources radiating IR light.

It's not the visible light that causes pigmentation anyway.

17. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Consider a Cheetah, who's coloration allows it to blend in with grass (you know, what they crouch in).

Consider the Drow, who's coloration allows them to blend in with the dark.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    We're talking about skin colour, not fur. :rolleyes:

As for the Drow, WTF would they need to be black for when the whole place is totally black? :rolleyes:

I cast a Magic Missile at the Darkness of this whole topic. :xx:

19. Inappropriate Synonym Banned

New thought : as long as the drow stay underground and only see with drakvision might you think it doesnt really matter what color they are? i mean if drow were neon pink and the next one was turquoise, but they live underground with no light maybe they cant see the difference?

and if say one or two do venture to the surface they'd be dead and stripped so fast noone really cares what color distinction they have.

3rd note. maybe drow are like surface dwelling humans, and vary in skin tone colors from the very pale to teh extremely dark

huh? hows that for thought

20. Shraz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Good point, I am amased that you people can take this question and debate it to this length when the answer is totally dependant on the individual, after all this is fantasy and we can play/think whatever we want about it. But saying that, keep up the good work, so far it is very entertaining and quite educational as well, assuming that what you are saying about pigmentation etc is correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.