1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drow

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Spudsquisher, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I think they are black, but painters use blue to better show their features. Black pictures tend to become pretty flat, or so I've noticed. One in shades of grey wouldn't look very cool either on the cover of a book, magazine or whatever...

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

They should be jet-black following the FRCS book. And Azardu's point seem to be rather good

4. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My points usually are.
    j/k
    :D

5. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] well i was under the impression that they were black, but have never ever seen a black one!

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed they are black, but on the covers of the Drizzt books they look more like purple to me ;)

7. Silverblade Guest

I personaly think they are realy dark blue. That explains why Drizzt and Viconia are more blue, because if drow are a long time on the surface, their skin gets lighter. That also explains why with a lot of drow their skin looks black, because it is such a dark colour of blue.

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] it's interesting, wouldn't a race who have never seen the sun have pale skin?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Indeed it would. Guess biology wasn't one of the things taken into account when making the Drow. But I suppose they could have been black before they descended into the Underdark... Still, after so many generations of no exposure to the Sun their skin would have to become more and more pale.

10. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I suppose it should be blue, cause thats what colour a dogs is under its fur (never see sun)

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What dog? Space dog? This is the first time I hear of any dogs being blue under the hair.

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Actually geneticly I don't see any reason for someone black turning pale when they are not exposed to sunlight. It works the other way around with pigment exposed to sunlight growing a resistance towards light by turning darker. But there is no reason why it should work the other way around. So as Tal suggested, they might have been black when they descended. But this is fiction afterall. Not science. Anyway blue dogs? Isn't it just the blood that makes the dog skin you referred to look blue, cause it it so thin and pale?

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

From what I've read, (very limited mind you), they were know as Dark Elves before they decended below the surface, so I suppose that was a trait that was already there. And it would seem to work to their advantage in the underdark to keep them alive (harder to see and hit I supose), so I guess it was a trait that wasn't going to be bred out of their race. That's just my take at least.

14. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Maybe they just all remembered to keep taking their vitamin D tablets when they went into the underdark.

15. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Pigmentation of the skin is fueled by sunlight as Nobleman stated. However, that includes all pigmentation, Nobleman, not just the darker colors. So if there is no sunlight available, your skin will lose all pigmentation, thus the pale appearance. Of course, Drow could have a quite different type of skin, one that is naturally black without pigmentation.

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Uh?? I think we have a missunderstanding. I wasn't very clear though. Heh. :) I was thinking about genetic alteration, like negroes, not the seasoning change like white people jumping around in sunlight. Once your genes code for black skin there is no reason for them to change towards white. Even as Crawl mentioned there might be a genetic drift towards dark skin due to better survival. It hardly has much influence next to the drows intelligence though. Hence the small difference in darkness of two drows' skins has little to say next to the way they use their intelligence to hide, hunt and evade. But still there is no genetic reason to turn black. Neither any positive or negative feedback, I think the english definitions are, to stimulate white or pale skin.

17. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Genetics or not, coloration of skin in the real world is still determined by pigmentation. And pigmentation cannot happen in the absence of light. Negroes may have a genetic preponderance of melanin pigments, but even a Negro stuck underground for a few decades would turn pale.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Melanin production is genetically controlled, but there is also a tanning reaction in response to UV light exposure. So light is not NEEDED for pigmentation, but it does have an effect.

19. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I don't know that much about the FR version of Drow, but the original D&D version from "Vault of the Drow" made the drow home a UV wonderland (from funky minerals).

aloha
    Vormaerin

20. Silverblade Guest

I remember reading in one of those NWN forum updates that one of the creators from NWN said that the color of a drow's skin is ebony. And ebony is some sort of black if I am not mistaken. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited November 06, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.