1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drow Class

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Tiberius, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

There could be a wood-elf pristess of Moradin actually as long as the elf devoted her entire life to the betterment of the dwarf race (highly unlikely unless the elf was raised by dwarves or something).

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I can't see why... Drizzt is a ranger but with the exception of his being "anti-establishment" :D he fits the description of a paladin.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Can't really see that... A paladin works openly, as a part of his/her order, and for the society (which is where the lawful part of the lawful good alignment comes in). Plus, a paladin is openly recognized as a (proud) champion of the society they come from.
    A dark elf would have problem with all of these. Upon finding, one would normally be attacked or, at least, shunned. While a society might, after a very long and problematic period in which patience and goodwill will be required from both parts, it is unlikely that he or she will even be viewed as their champion. A paladin order, having some face and traditions, might use their services, maybe at a later point assist them, but offering them membership is unlikely for the same reasons. On the other hand, the drow would likely have had more than enough prejudice to be willing to fight for all of society (the underpriviledhed classes, maybe). Besides, getting to the surface would entail a break with their previous society and code of values, which itself implies a chaotic bent. Another, smaller, thing - an elf's thinner frame implies using lighter weapons and especially armor, which would be unlikely among paladins who tend to follow specific "uniform" -heavy armament like plate and shield or two-handed weaponry.

All in all, it might come to be with a very compelling story, but is a bit too tricky. There are tens of other models of drow NPCs that might be much more plausible and fun. I'd really like to try a drow weaponmaster, kensai or however they call it, and a priestess of Selune or a similar deity be nice too (actually tried this in IWD II).

4. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If I am not mistaken, and I may be, is there not the oppurtunity in either D@D rules 2 or 3 that allow the existence of an Elven Paladin or Cavalier? I cannot remember so this is not a rebuttal but a question.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Possible, I think it exists (in edition 3, at least) and in 2 there was a cavalier class for fighters, too.

6. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Wouldn't a drow fighter make an awsome Kensai? With the Innate MR and saves? Belm +2 and Celestial Fury come to mind. Actually I was thinking wizard slayer, but kensai too.

[ October 30, 2004, 10:18: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

You know, dude, I've been having this idea for quite some time... I dunno why, even without the bonuses that'd come with the game rules, but the notion itself has quite some appeal... Have you watched Rurouni Kenshin? A drow might look good in a role similar to Hiko - proud, sarcastic and damn good with a blade. I'd be among the first to give the idea a try. Hopefully, they'd also include some one-handed weapon fighting bonuses like in BG II or KotOR to go with the "purist" kensai class. Ah, to hear the whisper of the wind as it caresses the blade...

8. Elros Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well I think the idea of a Drow Paladin is a bit outrageous because of the morales (or lack there of) and culture or the Drow themselves, instead i would proprose a seperate class available to the drow race only, representing a league of dark elf heroes. this class would most likely be between chaotic neutral and chaotic evil in alignment.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Something like a fighter prestige class, you mean? The word "hero" is a bit unclear on that point... I suppose a wizard or cleric could also become one, although usually warriors tend to get all the fame, with the occasional (very rare) thief. I guess it could work both as a cross between weapon master and thief (necessary to survive for long in the chaotic environment most drow cities have) or an order that accepts different classes and develops some innate magical abilities, acrobatic skills etc.
    Anyway, I think the idea of a drow bard might have a lot of appeal, but would be quite hard to put into an adventure not in the underdark, and there have been quite a bit of them recently.

10. Silinrun Gems: 1/31

I have been called a Drow fanatic. I think they are the coolest existing race and I have many of my own freestyle RPG characters as Drow. I have a guide called Plot & Poison: Guide Book To Drow that has just about everything they could find on Drow in it. From their history, to their religion/gods, other creatures they usually come in contact with, prestige classes, skills and feats, equiptment, spells/magic and items. There are core classes such as arcane archer, assassin, blackguard (Drow Paladin almost you could say) Loremaster and shadowdancer. Prestige are Blessed of Xarcon (one of the Drow gods), Creature Cultist, Dark Dancer(i have a character modeled for this one), Darksight Slayer(one modeled for this), deepsinger, dominant, dweomer defender, fate weaver, master summoner, spell addict, submissive, talion apostle, transmorph, unseen sniper, vermin outrider, and vile tormentor. The book has 200 pages of information all based around Drow. There are even Drow subraces, like half-drow, and vupdrax (kinda like a bat drow) that were created either by a wizard or normal means. The options are limitless so far. I finished reading it all but have only really made two characters directly from this. Though I will make more sometime.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The thing to remember here is the idea behind the race and the idea behind RPGing in general. In a p&p game, the DM would take this question under serious thought. The question isn't so much 'can they exist' as it is 'should I allow one in this game' and 'how much will I have to change the game to do so'. Since there is no human, on-the-spot DM, the programmers would either have to program two very different games, or base the entire game in such an environment that it would not be very disruptive, which is not likely to happen. VERY few drow even entertain the ideas of leaving the underdark or becoming good in the first place, thus there isn't really an environment you could play in where a drow wouldn't be seriously disruptive.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm not a big fan of unnecessary limits. The drow are typically CE the same way as dwarves are LG by default. You will always have misfits and outcasts or people who fit in but have a slightly different mindset. For example, Jarlaxle is Neutral Evil as was one of the major matron mothers before the assault on the Mithrill Hall, though I can't recall which one. Drizzt himself is CG and while he hasn't necessarily been good-aligned all the time, he's surely never been evil at any point. Similarly, Zaknafein was CN. Liriel Baenre is NG IIRC. There's the whole sect of Eilistraee (CG goddess of the good drow) and a couple of Neutral Evil drow cults other than the default CE Lloth.

Give them a separate subrace, though. Would be nice to see other elven subraces.

13. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Look, a drow paladin could happen! ie. A C.G. special paladin class of Elistaree (sp?) with sun resistance but no lay on hands. I also say alignment restricions are idiotic. Bleedin' bananas. Alignment defaults, maybe. I also think of Jarlaxle as Chaotic neutral, even chaotic good, because of his honor code and his repeated attempts of goodwill towards Artemis.

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

@Chev: Liriel Baenre... I think she was mentioned in some guide, but wasn't she CN? At any rate, yeah - most drow are CE, but it's only natural that there are variations and a few are NE or CN in their own society, and most other combination out there.
    I'm not very familiar with the rulebook for 3.5e, are there specific boni/penalties for subraces in it?

@Aydin: Man, if it's not LG, it isn't a paladin. The paladin is a concept that doesn't fit with every mindset, and this should be considered natural. The Dark Maiden - or tens of other duties - may have an analogous caste of temple guards or traveling fighter-priests (I think I came upon something that mentioned the blade dancers), but paladins are not only fighters blessed by their deity. The strict hierarchy they have, their organization in orders, their binding oaths and vows, the squireships, etc - these are all lawful institutions, and a chaotic individual simply won't have the heart for it. They are as much orderly fighters as they are fighters for good. There may be a prestige class similar to a paladin that can be less restrictive and more suitable for drow, i.e. the something like the NWN champion of Torm, but, well, the alignment restrictions are a part of what separates the paladins from just another fighter kit/prestige class.
    Jarlaxle, hmm... CN maybe, but a guy who's primary concern is his own survival and situation is more like NE in my book. I've read only a few of the Salvatore novels, but I haven't seen him take even one action that puts him or Bregan D'aerthe in danger and doesn't benefit him.

Back on topic: I can't imagine a class that is the only choice for drow elves, but I paladins is the one thing I can't see them as. It is possible, perhaps, it might be interesting for some, but if I see a drow paladin NPC in the game i will either hit my head in something while laughing wildly or start swearing like a drunken truckster after hitting something, depending on my mood.

15. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Not in the PH, but the various subraces are detailed in the MM.

16. WildRaven Gems: 1/31

First off, the chances of a Drow Paladin are microscopic. Even if their society somehow miraculously spewed forth a Lawful Good Drow which for some insane reason thought 'I suddenly realise i want to become a Paladin' does anyone honestly expect the Drow to ever be excepted?
    Drow society and its practices and beliefs practically stand in direct opposition to everything the Paladins work for. Any Drow who went up to a Paladin and asked 'Would it be possible to join your holy order?' would either be laughed at, insulted or simply killed.
    Does anyone remember what happened in BG2 when you put Viconia and Keldorn in the same party, the Paladins despise the Drow. The only reason they waited so long before they tried to kill each other was because they were following you.
    The idea of a Drow Paladin is highly laughable. A Drow Blackguard maybe, but not a Paladin.

17. DreamingxAshley Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You assume a great deal. Drow have free will last I knew, they are sentient, and therefore are just as capable of becoming a Paladin as anyone else. The problem is, getting finding an order of Paladins that would allow the Drow to join them.

This is why I dislike Alignments, they are so hackneyed. It pidgeon-holes your character... oh you cant steal that food for your family because your Lawful Good!! Oh you have to run around slaying the innocent because your True Evil! Feel free to ignore the pleas of the helpless, because youre True Neutral and must preserve the balance... what a bunch of crap. lol People fall into one type of "alignment" and that is gray... very very few people are actually only black or white. D&D Alignments mioght have worked back when the game was first invented, but there needs to be a serious overhaul on it, or get rid of it entirely.

With that off my chest, I would love to see that book on the Drow, Plot and Poison. I love Drow. :)

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I'm with DreamingxAshley. And just for a point, seeing a drow paladin is about as ridiculous as seeing a drow ranger.
    Wait. Nevermind. ;)

19. DreamingxAshley Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Kuemper are you mocking me? :p hehe

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

No, you were faster on posting what I was thinking. :thumb: I had to take a breather to be calm and rational. I was just making my own jab at how silly this 'drow cannot be paladins' argument is.

I suppose I could've put it like this:

A drow paladin is as likely as a drow ranger. :hmm:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.