1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drow City Mod

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by GhoX, Jun 13, 2007.

1. GhoX Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm planning on making a mod of a gigantic drow city in NWN2, in the time before the time of troubles and of course the year of wild magic. (years before the birth of Drizzt really, don't want to get him involved, it's simply a bit too sick that you can kill Drizzt and all his friends in BG2)

Although I've did many researches, read many books about drows, their culture, their cities and finally found a map of Underdark, I still fear to get things wrong. Right now I have two options: either make up a new city(is that alright?), or use a existing city with almost no storyline, Sheoloth.(I'm not sure whether it's in the realms or not though, since it didn't say anything about the realms on the open game content book's cover)

As far as I know, for mods of drow cities the closest thing is probably "A Hunt Through Darkness" for NWN... a good mod indeed, with nice storyline and backgrounds. The main problem with that mod I(and many others) have found is the lack of freedom, and the undrow balance of male and female. (the PC will do the same thing, say the same thing regardless the sex) I tend to make that better.

So, I'm here in need of advices and some help. Some questions first:
    1. What do drow cities exactly look like? Are they filled with high towers(Ust Natha, more of an outpost though), or are they built on solid ground(Menzo, from the looks of the map it should be on the ground, right?).
    2. Do drow city fight drow city? (not just sending spies, but sending large armies.)
    3. I know many drow cities are not all-Lolth, are the Lolth cities distributed randomly in the Underdark, or are they all in a certain area(e.g. the Sword Coast). Are there many Lolth cities in areas below Thay or Shar?(I know there are many drow cities there, but can't find out much info about them)
    4. What do drow commoner buildings look like? What do out-of-favour drow commoner buildings look like(slums)?
    5. How many good drows should there be in every drow cities? So far, it would seem every drow city has some(if not many) good guys.
    6. Jarlaxle is known to have connections in many drow cities, just how many? What's the range of his influence 100~200 years before Drizzt's birth? Was he as powerful as he was a few years ago? Is it possible for him to have connections in drow cities as far as Dambrath, in cities such as Llurth Dreir and T'Lindhet, of the Great Bhaerynden? And is it common for Bregan D'aerthe to have "outposts" in other drow cities?
    7. Are time indicators(such as Narbondel) common in drow cities? (Didn't see any in Sheoloth)
    8. Is there any thing notable 100~200 years before the birth of Drizzt that affected the entire drow race?

Answer what you can, and you will have my gratitude. Also, please point out any flaw in my plan and feel free to give me any advices.

I will start construct my mod after the release of NWN2: Mask of Betrayal (hopefully it will have drow buildings, underdark props and giant mushroom models which I terribly need for a drow city mod). In the meantime I shall do the planning work. Thanks.
    (PS. I don't need much help with drow language/names)

2. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I can't answer much, as I stay away from too much drow exposure that is in the Forgotten Realms universe... but, as for Lolth worshipping, most Drow cities, if not all are entirely devoted to her.(In exception to members of an 'underground society' hehehe.) Non worshippers among the drow are seen as blasphemers and are killed. This is the same for both non-good drow like Kiaransalee, or Vhaeraun, or for good drow deities like Eilistraee (although drow hold a special hatred for Lolth's daughter).

Since punishment is so harsh among the drow, and since they are truely evil at heart, very few worship any other deity than Lolth. Good Aligned drow are very uncommon in the Underdark, of the few there are in Toril most reside on the surface. The only time that worshippers of Eilistraee really travel into the pits of the earth is to rescue or protect their own kin (by kin I mean in faith). Worshippers of EIlistraee work much like the Harpers on the surface in secret and silently.

But, thats just my two cents on religion in the Underdark (well, really more like a dollar seventy-five) sounds like an interesting module that I'll be ready to check out. Later.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Since this thread is pretty much exclusively about Drow info, I'm moving it to the D&D forum.

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The archecture of a drow city depends on the nature of it's enviroment and the idears held by it's creaters. None are really the same. For example Ched Nasad is made (or was really ;) ) of strings of gigantic petrifide spiderweb and Menzoberranzan has houses hollowed out of Stelegmites or built out of black stone

In short, yes.

I dont know much about that one I'm afraid. She is the main Drow Godess, so it's save to assume she has the majority of the worship in the cities.

Hard to say. Like the question of archecture it depends on the area and basic construction of the city. Generally it's safe to assume that they live in small cramped and dirty houses of the same archecture as the rest of ther city

Hard one to answer. Depends on the type of storyline you want. I would say haveing more then 2 would be a bad idear.

I dont know much about him. Can't help you. Sorry

I would say not. Narbondle is very unique.

Not really. The Drow killed each other, oppressed races, fourght with other races etc. While chaotic in nature, they tended to be a bit repeditive

Any other questions, send them my way ;)

[ June 17, 2007, 06:48: Message edited by: The Magister ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.