1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drizzt

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sarevok•, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Forgetten Realms isn't a story it's like the Dragonlance series.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yes it's like the Dragonlance series. It's a constant story that doesn't conflict itself.

Why do people like Baldur's Gate? The storyline. It doesn't exactly have the best graphics in the world. There are better tactical games out there. D&D is a tried and true RPG rules-set but there are still better. Just chucking Drizzt in to make the game 'cool' is a transparent ploy to appeal to gamers who don't appreciate the finer dietails of a game. It's like many console platform titles or racing games - big explosions and fast cars are the main thing. Anyone can do that! What's so special about big explosions and fast cars? They don't take much time and require little skill to impliment. A well thought out plot and story requires creativity, planning and careful implimentation. Including Drizzt was a mistake with the plot. There was no justification, it didn't add to the story and the basis behind him being there is simply 'wow' factor. I'll have the shadow thieves and the order assist me thanks Drizzt, you're not even supposed to be here.

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Regardless, he appeared in the game and that’s the way it is and that is the way it is going to be, so why wouldn’t it be cool if he played a bigger part in your adventure.

Besides, even the Baldur’s Gate books don’t exactly match the in game story.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Let's confine this thread to discussion of Drizzt as a joinable NPC.

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Yes I'm certain it would be 'cool'. But that's it. It would also be 'cool' to have a pet dragon or magical armor that bestows 25 upon all ability points. Doesn't mean it should be implimented. The better modifications are those that are justified and don't make the story less believeable.

Sure the Baldur's Gate novels were very different from the game, but they were also rubbish BECAUSE they were different from the game. I don't think many people who read the Baldur's Gate novels hadn't played the games first.

Justify things. Make the story believeable. Let Drizzt have his own adventures on the Sword Coast away from the Bhallspawns.

6. Awron Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Drizzt was added to the first game for a bit of wow factor with gamers that knew the realms....also his story states that he's traveling to meet friends ijn bg1.Not something that destroys the books allready writen or is really out of line.I think his addition to bg2 was more a chance to payback the players (like me)who killed him for his equiptment in the first game.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Um, there IS a Drizzt mod somewhere out there that adds Drizzt as a playable NPC, you know.

No idea where I saw it, though.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

So? and in BG:II he's looking for a pink hammer. It never happens in the books. There is no reason for Drizzt to be there. Just as there is no reason for Drizzt to become an NPC in anyone's party.

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yes, it would destroy the game if Drizzt joined your party, it would just destroy the game. It would be just be completely unplayable totally unplayable. I really can’t imagine how bad it would be if Drizzt joined as NCP ;(

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Well you said it, not me.

11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] What's an NCP?

:p :p

But seriously, Drizzt as a joinable NPC is simply silly and uncalled for. Anyway, any decent fighter PC with proper equipment should be able to kick his butt by the time you meet him in a straight up fight.

Who needs pansy elves?

12. tabari Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Well I agree with Sarevok's original post. It would be fun to have Drizzt in my party. I play to relax after work and I try not to take it so seriously.
    I could come up with several reasonable plot devices that would land him in BG2. Maybe he woke up one morning and found his companions to be annoying. Maybe Cattibrie dumped him and he got really bummed.
    I dunno...
    Wulfgar went on a drinking binge in one book that I found unreadable. The publisher of that one obviously found that plot to be good enough to send poor Drizzt all over the map to rescue him or whatever.
    Mods are voluntary downloads ya know.
    In the end its just a fun game, and a fun message board.
    ;)
    Happy New Year Guys!!

13. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well this would be a good idea, make a mod where he can join IF you meet certain prerequisites and when you get the offer you can turn him down, modify his ability's so he's a good fighter and not some armour wearing kensai that can weild Carsomyr and get 200%+ MR, that would only ruin it, and the player can have the option to take him or not.

This way you can have him in your party or you can arrange it so you don't even meet him, then the people who don't want him in the party because they've read all the books and this would ruin the plotline for them (abomination) and the people who are not hardcore fans and only after a bit more variety and fun (me) can enjoy the mod.

you happy with this abomination?

14. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

First post here guys. Go easy on me.

I have to look at both points of view. I agree, there is absolutely no reason that Drizzt should be anywhere near Baldur's Gate, Athkatla, or anthing remotely related to the BG series. There is even less justification for him being a joinable NPC. It doesn't really make sense, and it doesn't follow the Forgotten Realms storyline.

By the same token, the Bhaalspawn saga are not officially part of the Forgotten Realms saga. There were no Bhaalspawn, there wasn't one who... uh... ended up with the ultimate choice we all know you have when all is said and done. As for as the official Forgotten Realms timeline is concerned, none of this stuff actually happened. That being said, the BG series is almost like a small alternate timeline not completely meshed with the rest of FR anyways. So, what the hell? Why not have Elminster be honestly afraid to F#@& with the Bhaalspawn? Why not have Volo poppin up and doing his thing? And why not have Drizzt show up to help in the Bhaalspawn's struggle? It's not 'canon' anyways.

That being said, there is a mod that lets you use Drizzt. He has no banters or interjections. He's just there to fight for you. I've never used it though, and if someone were to create a true mod to allow you to use Drizzt and give him banters, personal quest, etc., I still wouldn't use it, because I like to read about Drizzt, but I don't think he belongs in something as big as this is, specially if it's not Bob Salvatore creating the story.

Anyways, just my thoughts. :)

EDIT: Man, I must've had about 543298560928356 different typos in there. And a TOB reference too.

[ December 31, 2003, 17:37: Message edited by: Xindell ]

15. casey Gems: 15/31

@ Xindell: Well I hate to break it to ya but like you said there is nothing "official" about any of this if someone wants to make a mod on it let them go ahead.

@ all it's not like it's going to permanently stain your view of Drizzt and the FR forever, it a bloody mod for christ sakes mod is an abbreviation for modification modification means this it's a unofficial mod to an unoffical part of the FR timeline. It has absolutly nothing whatsoever to do with Drizzt. You can kill him in BGII when you see him and it will make no difference at all to his story the official stories are exactly that, and BGII isn't offical, so if there's a mod on him for the enjoyment of the gamers who just don't give a **** then so be it, if the rest are so upset by the idea remember that it's a mod and it's not official the books are official.

16. Xindell Gems: 6/31

@ Casey: Um... why do you 'hate to break it to ya?' We're kind making the same point here. None of this is official, so if someone wants to create a mod and do it, there's really no reason not to. I personally wouldn't play it, but whatever floats your boat since this isn't truly a part of the FR timeline anyways.

17. casey Gems: 15/31

When you said these things it sounded contradictory to the point you were making you say there that you wouldn't use a Drizzt mod and in the same post you then say that it doesnt matter anyway because it's unofficial so it doesn't make perfect sense but I do see what your saying though, also this isn't meant to sound harsh but I think to some people that it might so if it is to you then sorry.

18. Xindell Gems: 6/31

I said right in the beginning I had to look at both points of view. Then I detailed them both, from my perspective anyways. That is why I may have sounded contradictory. But again, that's also why I said 'both points of view.' :)

Anyways, my point is, it doesn't really matter if people want to play a joinable Drizzt mod. Who cares? None of this is canon anyways. But 'I' personally wouldn't do it.

19. casey Gems: 15/31

I don't think the fact that Drizzt is never at Amn should matter much since, as the pc you were never in Amn yourself but you still get captured and get taken there, and you get captured by Irenicus for a second time by either Saemon (bastard) or Yoshimo using the old drug the meal trick.

So if you get captured with a drug then why is it impossible for the same to happen to Drizzt? unless he's immune to narcotics and seditives then I see no reason why not.

20. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Fanboys. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can't reason with them.

Ah well. Looks like not everyone is blessed with originality.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.