1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drinkin' Age (legally that is)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mystra's Chosen, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Here in Finland, it's 18 for beer & other mild stuff and 20 for anything more than 22 proof.

Cardin isn't really that struict and it is notr unusual for people to statrt drinking around 12 years of age or so. Some younger, some older.

And yes, we Finns drink too much.

2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

danes drink more...

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Swedes drink the most.

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I wouldn't know, I didn't grow up in another country so I can't compare :)

I do believe however that one growing up with alcohol will be less likely to go off on a I'm finally free to drink whatever I want! Let's get off on a drunken rampage and drink till I need hospitalization! spree as I've understood a lot of american college kids do.

5. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Danes and sweded? Bah! We can drink you under the table any day of the week!

:D

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Sadly, this is all too true. Although the drinking sprees usually start before you're 21. Really, once your past 18 you are legally an adult in every other sense. You go to parties where alcohol is served, and also anyone who goes to a college or university usually has easy access to alcohol at the parties on the weekends.

It's really dumb when you think about it. With college lasting 4 years for a typical undergraduate degree, the average age of the students is 18-22. With half of the student body old enough to legally purchase and drink alcoholic beverages, it is the height of naivety to think the older students wouldn't share with the younger ones. Especially with fraternity boys trying to get a piece from the underaged females at the parties.

To me 18 makes the most sense. That's when you're old enough to vote, are considered legally to be an adult, and the age at which you are old enough to join the military. IMO, if you're old enough to die for your country, you should be old enough to buy yourself a beer.

7. patriq. Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

the swedish drink most and a lot "hembränt" (homemade?) thats why we are so focking stupid.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We get lots of Swedes and Norweigens over here and they can definately keep up with the locals!

The drinks are less expensive here so they like to indulge, just like the locals.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

We have this in New Zealand. The problem is that the 18 year olds end up giving drinks to 16 year olds.

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    21 in the US is ridiculous...But then again, if we had a lower drinking age, it wouldn't have been as fun trying to score beer in high school!!!

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aldeth, I think you should be grateful that the American kids in general wait that long with their drinking. The description of what goes on at college with 18-22 year olds remind me more of my 15-18 years than what I did when I 18-22. I know that many Swedes are kinda surprised when they go the states to study and see how, well, might not be the right word but I will use it anyway, immature the 20 year olds handle the booze. There actually doesnt seem to be much of a drinking culture in the US for people below the age of 18 and that is something you should happy with even if it makes you appear kinda dorkish to cool foreigners. ;)

We here in strict Sweden generally start drinking ourselves senseless at the age of 15 on bootleg beer and booze and moonshine.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah. When I got 18 (legal age here), alcohol lost lots of its appeal. ;) Had to rediscover it. :D

13. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

*grin* Well, as mentioned, it's 16 for beer and such and 18 for 'hard liquor' although I'm not sure where, exactly, the limit lies. I think I'll drink more when I hit 16 (15 now) cos then I'll be able to go the shoppe and get booze... Dunno if I could get some now already, I never get any hassle when I'm buying smokes, but hey - it's not that big a thing, although it'll be nice to go and get wasted in front of my PC on weekend nights :D
    :borg:

14. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@joacqin
    I can say that, after going through my first year of high school (roughly ages 14-18) in the United States, to say that there was no alcohol abuse by the students is laughable. There are so many parties with alcohol at them and other illegal substances that many people both my age and older are disturbed.

In China, of course, there is no drinking age. However, I am a rather strange person and I have only had a small glass of wine. I personally do not like alcohol beverages that much and it makes things difficult sometimes. My father orders a bottle of beer fairly often and the waiter/waitress often tries to pour me a glass without asking me whether I want it or not. It is a very different culture.

15. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

18 over here, but most of us start at 13, I think its just a way to keep the kids out of the pubs and clubs!

Was in the states on holiday when I was 15, took lots of drinks round my cousins and her mum went maaaad, Im talking fists and screaming... the lot! But all of her mates followed me back to my uncles (like they never saw booze before) and we all got mashed, happy holidays!

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My step-father got me wasted when I was 10. I didn't drink at all after that until I was 21, so the age limit in the US wasn't a big deal to me.

I am most disturbed by the current trend in the US where parents are being arrested for allowing their children to drink -- if a parent wants to allow their child a drink it should be fine (although I beleive my SF went too far).

The high drinking age in the US is primarily because we believe driving a vehicle is a right. Physical impairment is not a reason to deny a driver's license -- we have people who can't see 100 feet in from of them driving down the road at 75 mph (120 kph). That same lack of reasoning is used by drunks -- they believe it's their right to drive no matter how much alcohol is consumed. The number of deaths due to drunk drivers goes down as the drinking age goes up.

Yet another knee jerk reaction in the US -- raise drinking ages rather than hold drunks responsible for their actions....

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Punish drunk drivers and stay away from parents who give children drinks. A glass of wine is a normal part of a dinner and there's no reason to bar a teenager from it. Same goes for beer. Maybe liquers and medium stuff as well. After all, you drink those socially, not to get drunk. Plain old boozing is a different thing and shouldn't be open to teens, as a rule.

And drivers who pose a high risk for other drivers should not be drivers.

18. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

I agree fully

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  19. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Drinking age is 21 here... I started about 6 years early tho =/ dont do it often tho which is more than most of my friends can say

20. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

16 for beer and tobacco, 18 for everything else. We're experimenting with drivers licenses at the age of 17 right now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.