1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon's Eye: How to open the chests

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Virik, May 2, 2001.

1. Virik Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Please help me!!

How do I open the chests in
    Dragon's Eye Level 5 ??

I have only one character;
    Elf: Ranger...

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can bash them open (attack them with your weapon), but most of the chests are trapped...

3. Virik Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Negative....

When I attack the chest, I get the message:
    "Failed to force lock"

4. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

You can try taking potions to raise your strengh over 18.

If that doesn't work, you may have to add a theif character to your game and level it up until it has enough points in open locks.

edit:
    Oh, and please stop posting new threads on the same topic. 1. It's annoying 2. You'll make the dragons here mad. ;)

BTW, Why'd you chose to solo with a character that can't open locks? You do know you can have up to 6 characters in your party, right?

[This message has been edited by Bowie (edited May 03, 2001).]

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I also think you can try multiple times to bash a lock, just like you can try multiple times to pick a lock. I've never tried to bash a lock though, so I could be wrong.

6. Virik Gems: 4/31

It was a mistake to post multiple topics :D

And I started a solo character to get a lot more experience, then I will start more characters later, and maybe put them together. If I'm not tired of the game by then. BTW, I have tried lock pick too, I played TCP/IP game with a thief with lock pick 95%, but he couldn't open the chests either... So I thought maybe i needed a key or something...

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Is level 5 the very bottom where you fight the little girl that turns into that multi-armed monstrosity? And are you talking about the chests in the last room where she is? If so, I had no trouble picking all the locks for the chests in there, though many if them were trapped.

8. Virik Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] If you had no problem doing that, please send me your character :D so I can try it out.... I will delete it afterwards, cross my heart and hope to die....

9. Virik Gems: 4/31

Anyone know where I can find a thief which I can use to pick some locks ?

10. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Hm! Never tried bashing a chest to open it! Must give it a go!
    But then, I always have a single-class Thief in my party and make sure to increase 'open locks' & 'find traps' to 100 before I increase anything else. It is also handy to know that a Dwarf will get a +10 bonus to lockpick ability. Check out the table on page 112 of the Manual for Thief ability modifiers... :)

11. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Many ways to skin a cat, but at that point I had to use the tanks with plenty of healing after knocking them open.

**I should really not have d/c'd my thief at level 3 of Dragon's Eye.** Thought level 9 thief would be enough. Shame the only time I really needed one was just down the road....

Can you not import characters to the party at any stage? If so just create your own and import it.

TBH most of the stuff in the chests was pretty crap anyway.

12. NotYetHero Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Here's an easy thing to do: (although it is cheating but who gives?) create a new theif charecter, and download something like DaleKeeper (Hacker) and boost its experiance really high or raise its theiving ability to pick locks and go pickin them locks

One More Thing. When Starting a Game Don't Ever Have A Party With No Theif Cause You Won't Get Very Far.

[This message has been edited by NotYetHero (edited May 21, 2001).]

13. Virik Gems: 4/31

I don't remember why I posted this topic, but it was a pretty stupid question :D

Thanks anyway...

(I completed the game with a fighter/thief)

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That was not a stupid question - there are more peeple that don't understand how does it work - yet, they're too shy to ask.

People, these are pages to solve your problems in games! Ask what you don't understand. No question is stupid - only answers can be stupid ;)

15. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In my oppinion, a single class thief is a waste in this game. You level up so fast, so why not use a multiclass instead? In my last game, I used a mc T/M and in my current I'm using a mc F/T. The F/T gets more hitspoints and is also better in a scrap, should the need arise. And if you use an elf, you even get a bonus when using a longbow! (Is this restricted to only longbows, or do you also get the bonus when using composite?)

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Back to the original question - -

I've found the chests and they aren't at the final battle, the are on a side hall way, up a trapped staircase.

There are two of them, both trapped. I have a m/c elven fighter/theif and cannot disarm the traps or open the locks. My paladin w/ 18/93 str cannot bash them open.

Am I just weak? or just stupid? ;)

17. Havok Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] Mathetais, if you have one, drink a potion of Master Thievery. That should boost your thief's skills enough to disarm.

18. corval Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

you must have had thousands of restarts if you made it to level 5 solo.

19. Avooch Dar Guest

No that is not actually true.
    If you have a decent fighter and you pick up that big stash of heal poisonpotions at the entrance then you are laughing.

20. Lord Sparhawk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

YOU NEED A THIEF NOW!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.