1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragonlance VS Forgotten Realms

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Wassup, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

ok drudging up an old topic i missed..lol

Have to say I have never read any Forgotten Realms, but have been forced to play the campaign setting blindly, quite often.

As for my fave DL characters the obvious is Kitiara, 2nd would definately be Raistlin, and 3rd would be Tas. I love kenders!!! hehe :grin:

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont want to offend anyone in here but I wonder if you have read any literature at all if you call Raistlin an interesting and complicated character. The few dragonlance books I have read have been utter crap, heck the story and characters are more interesting and complicated in the P&P game I am playing now. Dragonlance seems to be written by a bad dm with too much time on his hands. It is all about your standard party combos adventures. No fun, nothing interesting, not a twist near them. I will end my rant but I am baffled that so many people find the Dragonlance books worth reading, even more baffled that they say that they are excellent. Salvatores FR books may not be top of the line but they far exceeds the DL books I have read in every way.

3. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Joachin that doesn't make sense. Yes the dragonlance books might have a soap opera feel to them at times but far worse is the marvel superheroes feel that plagues almost all of Salvatore's books. I always know what's coming in the next few dosens of pages in Salvatore's works when I'm reading.

What I like about the dragonlance books is that the rules of storytelling are not set in stone. The heroes might just as well die, and indeed almost all of them do.

I like the Raistlin character not only because he's a cynic, well developed as a character and unpredictable at times, but mainly because he's the main character that is not a hero by any means. I can relate to him whereas Elminster... *sigh*

I suppose it's a matter of taste after all. But if you think there are no plot twists in the twins trilogy, then I'll beg to differ.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I said I havent read all of the dragonlance books, I think I got as far as when Raistlin was in somekind of wasteland and he had to choose something in some way. Dont remember, as I didnt like them they didnt stick in my mind.
    I dont like Salvatores FR books either, if you look in my topic "Salvatores Books" you will find my view on most of his books and characters.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] joacqin, Dragonlance is even more "shared fiction" than FR. Dozens of different writers write those novels. Some of them can be very bad, but it's generally accepted that the main books that carry the whole saga (those by Weiss & Hickman) are quite good.

What did you read that you thought was bad?

6. joacqin

Media:
    It was Weis and Hickman =P. And I truly enjoy Weis´s Deathgate novels, they are truly great. But the Dragonlance was about the worst fantasy I have ever read. I thought it was on such a low level, so easy if you know what I mean.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah well, if you're looking for deep & enthralling fantasy you'll hardly find it in any FR or DL novels. Most of them are a quick and ok read at best.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Problem is that when you read Tolkien's books, all other fantasy-books that are also quiet good seems suddenly a bit less good... for when you compare Quiet Good with Fantastic, Quiet GOod already seems a bit bad.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well....

It was DL that originally hooked me on fantasy. I admit that the books aren't exceptionally good, but good enough. Nowadays, I hate most of the characters, except for Raistlin, Dalamar and Steel. They rock! I mean, Aargh, I can't spoil for those who haven't read, but those who have read know what I mean...

FR, on the other hand, I like a lot more due to the complexity of it all, and, well, the characters are way more complex than Sturm or Caramon. I mean, Artemis, Jarlaxle, heck, even Drizzt (Who is an annoying moron) are incredibly developed in the literature meaning... The only char that was developed that much in the whole chronicles&legends&DoSF thing was Raistlin.... the others were way more superfical.

/end rant mode

Ara
    (Raistlin rocks! Or, wait.... wouldn't they rather be gold naggots? Dunno....)

10. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Realms vs Dragonlance?
    That's a draw.

The first fantasy book i read was the dragonlance cronicles trilogy, and that rocked!!!
    But most of the other sucks with an exception of the legends trilogy.
    Forgotten realms however rules too.
    The avatar trilogy (what's up with those trilogies?)was the first i read and that rocked too!
    A lot of the FR books are cool but they are not as cool as the leader books of DragonLance.

Oh and my favourite characters from dragonlace are: Tasselhof (That's where i got "Tasohan") and of course Raistlin.

11. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Definately Dragonlance. At least the first 6 orgiginal books. Every D/L novel I tried to read after those were basicially crap. I didn't even like Dragons of Summer Flame.

As far at Salvatore's books go they are good, but not nearly as good as the D/L novels. I think that the characters, and story telling in D/L was much better, and more developed.

I just finished re-readig the D/L novels, and all of Salvstore's books(except for the 3 "prequels" that take place when Dizzit is still in the underdark). You can definately tell that old R.A.'s writing skills have improved over the years.....but D/L still takes the cake in my book. Tas and Raistlin were my favorte characters.....and, of course, FIZBIN

12. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ah good ol' Fizbin I had forgot all about him actually. Thanks for reminding me Llandon ;)

13. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Artemis, Jarlaxle, Drizzt... In that order. I doubt Dragonlance could come up with more original and interesting characters. Drizzt, who sometimes annoys people with that goody crap, is incredibly powerful in capturing the reader in the novel.
    For me, Artemis is the coolest and most intriguing character, and with Charon's Claw he can take out a few mages with no problem at all.
    BTW, Ivan and Pikel from The CLeric Quintet are hilarious!! :)

14. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i never read any forgotten realms or tolkien books, just the dragon lance chronicles (more than 10 years ago). gamewise, just played the pc games, the board games were never really a fad here in our country, warhammer is more popular (with the boardgame). and i only know about 3 or 4 locations that actually have warhammer in this country.

for the pc game, most of the dl games i played are the ad&d, and they don't seem to have real new heroes to lead them. you only get to read about some of the chronicle heros/heroines being mentioned and they are set in a very distant past. fr, however, have actually heros/heroine of its present time mingling with the pc gamers. and i liked that better.

the dl trilogy, i like the book except for the ending. it never appealed to me, even after more than a decade. my favorite chars are laurana and kitiara, two completely different character and attittude yet posses something intriguingly similar traits. also i would have to agree with elijah, gilthanas still have me wondering just who he really is. he is an elven prince, older brother of laurana. yet laurana have somewhat exceeded him in the leadership field. and he allowed it and content himself as a baby sitter. not much was talked about him, only that he is good with the bow and arrow (i wonder if he is as good as legolas). to me gilthanas is probably the most mysterious hero/character in dl books or fr games.

15. The_Prophet Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Speaking of FR and DL, I think the Realms are the victor-simply because they are the nearest thing to Earth-and the Realms are the most developed. Speaking of characters-Elminster is a GOD-like mage (closer to a god than a mage, I think). Second, If Raistlin went against Artemis Entreri or Drizzt- well these guys aren't stupid. And they wouldn't fight him on a field. Let's put it this way-can you really cast a spell on time if you wake up in the middle of the night and find a jeweled dagger piercing your throat?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.