1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragonlance VS Forgotten Realms

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Wassup, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Ah yes, I'll definitely have something like that. Need to balance those munchy Paladins.

Not only that, but those players expecting to bully goblins and orcs will soon find themselves sucked into the Blood War! :D

How about a lamp which when rubbed unleashes a "subservient" Glabrezu which will perform anything they ask for? ;)

And legions of anti-paladins giving them a taste of their own medicine with Smite Good! And Word of Chaos! MUAHAHAAH

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Forgotten Realms for life ;) Only thing that sucks is I either gotta steal em with my level 4 Thief skills from the library or order them online, because the only thing this crappy country sells is DragonLance

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Raistlin...now that IS one serious badass.
    Elminster's an ass compared to him. And Khelben is an incompetant buffon.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Raistlin and Sturm were my favs in DL

FR is growing on me

But Greyhawk will always have a place in my heart!

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Bah! Tell them their days are numbered, Artemis Entreri's out to get them ;)

6. Shura Gems: 25/31

Artemis is one serious badass, I agree, but him and Drizzt together could not even scratch Raistlin.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] We'll throw in fyodor and call it even ;) World's greatest swordsman and warrior duo with their Natural "Hamfriggen" (ShapeShifter) Berserker Ally vs. some raisin heh. This should be quick ;) btw.. Raisin is a mage or what?

8. Shura Gems: 25/31

He is a god-like mage.
    Lessee, it'll be disintegrate, disintegrate, oh Drizzt's got spell resistance? I'll just Imprison him then.

9. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As an reply to some of the earlier posts: The problem with Dragonlance is that everything in the world is explained in Chronicles and Legends. There is simply no room for a game.

When compared, forgotten realms is more like your average run-of-the-mill high fantasy settings. Ok, I need to write a novel, I just make a place up. There is tons of more room in the forgotten realms.

10. Jordan Starwind Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Elminster would kick the crap out of Raistlin.

Who cares about the whole Goddess of evil thing, I mean really. Any half assed wizard or Cleric can do that if they try hard enough, just look at Cyric. ;)

And good old El is tens times the wizard that Cyric ever was. Just doesn't have the whole heart of evil bit.

Besides you all know that every tenth wizard in the Realms is more powerful than the High Wizards on Kyrnn.

*raspberry*

Of course I still love DL. Great books, poor game setting.

11. Solarus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I would bet that a few DL adventures will be designed once NWN is finally released! I can't wait!

I can remember when the 1st DL book came out back in 1984. I couldn't put it down. I almost went crazy waiting on the 2nd and 3rd books to come out. I think that it is a very interesting world to have an adventure in. But then again, I still like the World of Grey Hawk as well. I still have all of the original maps ect. As well as a few of the original D&D books from BEFORE 1e rules. God save Gary Gygax. I wonder what ever happened to him.

12. Reeky thestenchful goblin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i think fr is so much more popular because of all the computer games

13. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Indeed... I prefer to play in Middle-Earth however FR is cool also. From Dragonlance I don't know anything.

14. Great Annihilator Gems: 1/31

Realms Vs Krynn hmmmmmm.....

....this a no contest.

Realms wins hands down. Reason being that Krynn pretty much homes in one plot hook; the dragons. FR is a lot more varied, no single "epic" plot governs the workings of the game world. This one of the reasons that Dark Sun didn't last very long. The Dragon Kings plot thread is the backbone of that game world.

FR is huge(or should I say ARE huge) which gives plenty of scope for other themes and plot stories with a multitude of flavors.

Now don't get me wrong I love DL(in fact the Chronicles were one of the reasons I got into D&D)but FR offers so much more.I would love to see Weis and Hickmans classic trilogy made into a film. It has evrything that would translate over onto the silver screen,comedy, action, high dramaa and tragedy(Sturm....sniff,sniff)and who wouldn't pay $10 to see the flying citadels swollowing up the screen! A sight only rivaled by that of the first time we saw the Death Star in Star Wars!

And one last thing to consider...

....the Bhaal trilogy was set in a part of the Realms that had little development in terms of game material. Amn and Tethyr was almost like a little void that exsisted between the Savage Fronter(Waterdeep, Silverymoon etc) and Calimsham untill BG I arrived . And yet a fantasicaly rich history was uncovered with the release of BG, BG II and III(including the expansions) making one of the little known areas of the FR into its most well known locals thanks to the PC games!

15. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The only problem I had with both the Dragonlance books and roleplaying in the world were the Kender. They always seemed to strike me as more of a Disney sidekick than an adventurer. And of course, whoever roleplayed a Kender had pretty much free reign to play the most obnoxious, annoying character around. Otherwise, I could really enjoy DL, but I'll take FR and Greyhawk over it anytime.

16. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31

My experience with D&D scene ends at FR CRPG's and a few table-top games I played yrs ago, I've never read any of the books. What are they like?

17. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

I really enjoy Dragonlance as a novel setting, but I agree that FR is far better as a game setting. Everything important is taken care of by Weis and Hickman's characters.

I actually don't like the early DL books(Chronicles), I think it's too...blah. Predictably heroic. Raistlin is it's only redeeming value.

The newer stuff is far superior. Dragons of Summer Flame, plus the books just coming out now(The Chaos War, then the War of Souls series, and opposed to the War of the Lance books). Heroes formerly invincible find themselves decrepit no longer able to run out and save the world, the new heroes are not what you would expect(especially the War of Souls books).

Go buy the new ones, if you haven't. The series is continuously improving, something that bodes very well for the future. (May as well buy them at Sorcerer's Place, as long as you are hanging about lollygagging. :D)

18. Elijah Gems: 1/31

I have to say that I prefer the FR gaming world for the reasons almost everyone mentioned. The world is much more varied in plotlines and has received infinitely more development. Most of the other D&D worlds have a single plotline while FR's plotline is that there is a lot of stuff going on.

As for the favorite character from DL, after reading his novel, Verminaard (sp? don't have the book with me) was an incredibly interesting character and makes a run for the favorite. But, for someone who didn't get as much attention as most of the other heroes from the Chronicles, Gilthanas was remarkably deep and interesting.

19. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I like the Dragonlance books better compared to the FR. I've only played one campaign set on krynn and it was decent.

Deviant, i have to disagree with you about the heros. They frickin ran at the first sign of danger and even had trouble with goblins!!

That was the reason why i didn't like the icewind dale books and why i hate drizzt. I was beginning to expect arrows to bounce off drizzt and have him fly.

20. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

But Tyresian, they were still so...so...so unbearably herioc. The dragon-riding, goddess-thwarting, shiny-armored type...not my cup of tea(most of the time).

I agree with you wholeheartedly about Drizzt(that applies to all Salvatore, everything I've read at least...which is most of it).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.