1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age 2 rumors and whatnot

Discussion in 'Dragon Age 2' started by Rawgrim, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I allways figured the horns were because of the taint thingy. Kind of like why the hurlocks have no lips, and such.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    At the gamescom I had some 15 minutes opportunity to play Dragon Age 2. My impressions from that admittedly limited experience is overall positive:

* Class choice was limited to warrior, so my gaming experience was limited to melee.
    * I didn't spend time on customising my character since time was so limited.
    * The default main character looks like a young Duncan.
    * I was not allowed to see the inventory or map.
    * Graphics appear a little more polished.
    * It appears that the blood splatter effect is gone.
    * Cut scenes are as nice as ever.
    * Game play is pretty similar to Dragon Age, with combat abilities that have to be activated and that then cool down.
    * After my brief experience I expect that DA 2 will be a 'target rich environment'.

All in all the part that I was allowed to play was rigged, in the sense that movement over a given way point triggered another step in the quest with a (well done) cut scene. In that sense, it almost felt Final Fantasy-ish.

3. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Sounds like it's going the way of using the da world for a different game. Not a bad thing since dao was fairly well finished off. Being forced into a single character definitely kills the value of the game since it's probably going to be a one or two-time play through max. Thinking diablo but less reason to play through the same levels over and over (mephisto runs?????). Still think it could be decent

4. Ragusa

Media:
    Clarification: Class choice for my test run was limited to warrior. The other classes are there; I just couldn't play them at the gamescom.

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    From the video, I definitely have a Final Fantasy feel about this one. Or maybe God of War? Not Dragon Age and not Bioware, though. Is it just me, or did the character in the video turn out to be a warrior-mage multi-class? The Quna'ri seemed to have some sort of magical ability, too. And the spell cast at the end felt very reminiscent of Final Fantasy summoning spells. Or maybe it was just some freaky blood magic?

Anyway, I'll have to see more, but so far I'm a little worried.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Looked like a finishing-move from Mortal Kombat, actually.

7. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Snort. Just woke up. Checking What is known about DA2..... Back to sleep.

Zzzzzzz.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    From the gameplay video, it looks like they actually have made it an action-rpg. Has the Bioware we know and love truely died?

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

They are making it an action-rpg, yes. Dave Gaider said so in an interview recently. I am thinking Mass Effect 2, with swords. Meaning its dumbed down mor than a little, compared to DA:O. Doesn`t mean it will be a bad game though. I like Mass Effect 2 well enough. I am sure i will like Dragon Age 2 as well.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Action-RPGs are, by definition, bad games. And I'm sick of them. It seems to be the only type of RPG out there anymore. I was so excited when I saw that DA wouldn't be one, that it would be an actual RPG. Sadly, I guess it was too good to stay true for long.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Hah, imagine - Mass Effect 2 with seamless maps, there'd be some practical use for stealth in particular, a Deus Ex like object interaction (move those explosive crates where you need them), Deus Ex like level design (three ways to solve a quest) and free exploration ... :bigeyes: ... howver great, it would probably be rather difficult to implement all those admittedly nice cut scenes then.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Sneaking was pretty much pointless in DA:O though. As soon as you got to a certain point, you had a cutscene where you just walked up to an enemy, and talked to him before killing him.

14. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Oi! Some of the best recent games have been action RPGs...

But as for this gameplay video, I thought that was how the console versions play and that the PC gameplay should be more like in DA:O. I might leave this one on the shelf anyway, so it does not matter that much to me how it plays in the end in any case.

15. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I disagree completely! This is one game where stealth was actually useful. I remember one battle in the Reaver area which I typically suffered in badly, until I stealthed, set up a bunch of traps, stuck one rogue behind the mage, the other behind the main warrior, and then thrashed them all!

Cut-scenes that pull the PC in are comparatively few and far between. Still annoying, yes, but much fewer than a lot of other games.

Blasphemy!!

Ok, seriously, I despise action-RPGs of all kinds. I think they're abominations, usually taking the worst elements of action games and mixing them with the worst elements of RPGs. Plus, I just don't like action games, so anything that's even a blend with action games will automatically be worse.

16. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I never used stealth in Dragon Age actually. Never had any fights I got stuck at either. I am sure its mostly pure luck though. I used Alistair, Wynne, and Leiliana + my sword + shield fighter. Worked like a charm.

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes, a few years ago. Passed fame and forgotten glory. Dime in a dozen.

18. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I don\ t mind some action in rpg`s, really. What annoys me the most though, is that they keep dumbing down games. Its like the game companies assume that the players have Down`s Syndrome, or something.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stealth in DA was loads of fun, though was spoiled in the places where there is a cutscene. There was nothing better than sneaking behind a mage, then bringing the rest of the party up. As soon as the mage begins casting: Sneak attack! Dead mage! I couldn't get enough of that, and was sorely disappointed whenever a cutscene ruined my fun :)

20. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

NOG, have you ever played Risen or the Gothic series? Both have pretty darn great stories, both are action RPGs. There can be tons of good role-playing qualities in action rpgs, you just have to pick one that doesn't suck. :p

As far as DA2 is concerned, I can't watch the gameplay video, and it seems to have been taken down everywhere (youtube, etc.). I admit I am a little disappointed that it is going to change the play-style, but that doesn't mean it's going to be bad. I've always wanted a swords and sorcery mass effect, to be honest! (I also want a swords and sorcery Valkyria Chronicles, if anyone has ever played that...!)

On a side note, does anyone know if there will be any carry-over from DA1 save games? I imagine not if it's going to be a new story, but perhaps there will be some name-dropping.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.