1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragon Age 2 rumors and whatnot

Discussion in 'Dragon Age 2' started by Rawgrim, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Since Bioware launched their DA2 website today, and forums, alot of stuff about DA2 has been revealed so far.
    A few points in particular caught my eye. I am not sure this will sit well with fans of the first game however.

1. You play a "premade" character named Hawke. The character is also a human. If you can be male or female, is unclear yet. Still...feels like Sheppard from the mass effect games. I belive its due to the fact that the main character will be fully voiced in this one.

2. They are changing the art-style. By the looks of things, it might be Anime-ish. Like Final Fantasy.

3. Brand new combat system as well. Most likely alot more finishing moves and stuff like that as well.

Anyway. thats what I could dig out so far. Feel free to add stuff, if anyone finds out more.

2. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

This is what is known...

"Dragon Age 2 thrusts players into the role of Hawke, a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age. Known to be a survivor of the Blight and the Champion of Kirkwall, the legend around Hawke’s rise to power is shrouded in myth and rumor. Featuring an all-new story spanning 10 years, players will help tell that tale by making tough moral choices, gathering the deadliest of allies, amassing fame and fortune, and sealing their place in history. The way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever."

So the next PC we play is more important than the PC we used in DAO and DA Awakening.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

The game creators have been confirming stuff on the forums as well. The "human only" bit was one of them.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I heard August 17th ish there will be a trailer to DA2.

Now, how do I convince my wife to let me spend $60 on DA2. Hmmm....

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Do it with a chisel, and a great deal of nerve.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

LOL...

I wonder if they will call the game...

Dragon Age 2: Rise to Power

I just hope they continue to include the party. Maybe allow for 6 characters at once.

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That doesn't look too good. The idea of making the world change is cool but forcing you to play a human character called Hawke? That's just awful. Players should be able to choose a name for their characters.

As for things like these:

"Think like a general and fight like a Spartan."

->That has to be the lamest line ever. :shake:

What's next? Walk like an Egyptian? :D

8. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

You get a party, Munch. Aparantly you are going to "gather the deadliest allies available". Good thing I have played through Mass Effect 2 twice, so I know how to do that.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I wonder if you will be recruiting intelligent darkspawn. That would definitely make for an interesting NPC.

---------- Added 0 hours, 9 minutes and 3 seconds later... ----------

A-O-A-O-A.....

or better yet...

Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Been thinking about the DA2 news abit today...If one has to play a "premade" character, does it then even count as a roleplaying game? First rule of roleplaying is that you get to create your own character, right?

11. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Well that is not necessarily the case as some pnp games provide premade characters for a quick start or for the few players that can't be bothered. As a rule however, most "serious" RPers enjoy making their own characters.

I always considered the Witcher to be more of an adventure game for that very reason. If you have to play a premade character there is only so much leeway you can get.

In any case, it is a limitation but it also allows for more immersion as dialogue and actions can be tailored to fit your character so what we lose in diversity may makes up for a more immersive game (something along the lines of the Witcher).

In the case of DA2 it seems pretty lame because you still have three classes so there must be some variations as far as dialogue options are concerned and I can't help thinking that they could have made the game work with non humans if they had cared enough to write up lines for them as well (taking into account more variations). What I mean is that it is different in a game in which there are no character classes like Fable in which dialogues and cutscenes will fit any character you'll ever make anyhow. Fable 1 and 2 may be very limited as CRPGs but they allowed for many (mostly silly) options to customize your character and I don't see how DA2 will allow so much variety as there is no good vs evil spectrum (probably a good thing though) except if Bioware really pulls off the actions have consequences on the world bit.

If they indeed pull it off it may turn into the equivalent of an epic RPG campaign in which at different stages you will have to make significant changes that will inform the story and the future of your character (just like in the Witcher).

It's a bit early to pass judgement but what we have been shown so far is not very promising because they stress out points that most of us probably don't really care much about. Graphics and eye candy don't make good games, they may make games better but they are not what makes games good in the first place.

A lot will depend on the story itself. DAO had its share of clichés and there is no reason why DA2 will not follow the same pattern. Will it be formulaic? Will it live up to our expectations as a sequel?

DAO managed to rely on clichés because it offered much in the way of variety. Simply put would DAO have been able to sustain so much interest for players who played many runs of the game if it had only included one origin? I sincerely doubt that as part of the appeal is to contrast how different Oirigns play out throughout the game.

How will DA2 cope with clichés? Nobody knows, but the use of cheesy lines like the Spartan one to promote the game is not reassuring.

It's not that clichés are necessarily bad Baldur's Gate is riddled with cliché but they tend to work rather badly after a while, you can't use the same tricks over and over again. Players get spoiled and nothing is worse than a story that is just too predictable.

12. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Started a new playthrough on DA last night. Morrigan mentions that there are other mage "organization" other than the mage circle around. I am pretty sure something new will be introduced in that area.

---------- Added 0 hours, 6 minutes and 34 seconds later... ----------

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/12/dragon-age-ii-first-screenshots.aspx

Just found 2 screenshots of DA2. Not sure what to think actually. Its not bad...but...dunno. Something is odd about them. Can`t place my finger on it.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Zzzzzzzz....

14. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    --The name of Morrigan's son, raised by barbarians?

--The sound you hear before being attacked by a new, insectoid breed of darkspawn?

--The hum emitted by a chunk of highly concentrated lyrium?

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I've heard that you get to pick your gender and class. The only thing missing in DA2 that DAO has different is the race. I understand that most of us maybe disappointed that we can only be human, but the story is based on a boy or girl who lived through the most recent blight. I don't know how the game will compare to DAO but I have a gut feeling that those of us who feel in love with DAO will find DA2 to be a great game but not the best game. Than there will be those who will believe that DA2 is the true successor to BG2.

Let's not forget that there are those who prefer BG over BG2. I'm in the minority of gamers who prefer BG over BG2.

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Has anyone seen the two or three screen shots. I'm not all impressed where DA2 is heading. I will still buy it but I may not play it like DAO.

17. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    There is already a combat preview for Dragon Age 2 at Comic Con. They have added something like a combo system to the combat (e.g. where one button leads to a sword slash and another to a thrust etc.). Can't say I like the idea of that at all.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/110/1108059p1.html

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

The combo idea sounds more like BG Dark Alliance type game than BG:SoA

19. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Aparantly the Quana`ri now have horns as well. Suspect a continuity issue there, since Sten showed no signs of any horns. I guess horns will make them look more cool, or something.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They've explained that not all Qunari have horns, and that the ones without horns are the ones that get sent to other civilizations.

It makes sense that at least some would have horns since the Ogres do.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.