1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DR, Chandos, are you still with us?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Darkwolf, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Classy. The guy was wondering where you were, because he actually missed you, Chandos, and then you have to write a reply like that...

2. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Chandos,

I am sorry you feel that way. This thread was supposed to be fun, and I had hoped that it would be a way to start to heal some wounds. I think I was partially successful, and I will be happy with that. :)

For the record, the only board I stopped posting on was this one, and only because I seemed to be increasing the level of anger, in others as well as myself. I did quite a bit of harm when I first came back and decided to start trolling :o . I was trying to make up for it, but unfortunately an event occured that eliminated that chance, leaving me with few options. While healthy debate is great, life is to short to allow the kind of malevolence that was arising here to continue, so I chose to bow out for a while. If you choose to look at that as cowardice or something else negative, c'est la vie.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sheesh...here we go again...

/me kicks Chandos in the nuts too

I can't help but be reminded of a particular scene from "Boyz n' tha Hood" where a young woman asks a bunch of gangstas as they 'bout ta throw down..."Can't we have just one night where there ain't nobody fightin', and nobody gets shot?"

I have a feeling that Chandos didn't mean anything negative by what he said above, and that it just came off that way. I'll let him defend himself on this, but come on guys - let's all breathe for a while. I'm tired of resenting a bunch of guys I like so much, despite some of the things they say that drive me to bloody rage (hence my impending absence). As Grey (in his infinite wisdom) pointed out the other day, we all ended up here at SP because we are all first and foremost gamers. Our priorities should be KoToR2 coming out soon, who's winning the quote game, Baldur's Gate 3 rumors, and [snip - "tacky" comment removed].

Okay, that last one may just be me - but you all get the idea. Come on guys, I'll buy you all a :beer:

[ November 12, 2004, 21:29: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

4. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] There is a KoTaR2? :banana: Since when? :jawdrop: Where have I been? :sleep:

Damn, I have been caught up in way too much political crap! :nuts:

/thanks DR :hippy:

5. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

DR -- I don't think we need to hear about your breast proclivities. :rolleyes: There are ladies here and this isn't exactly a bar room.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hah! Fine talk from someone wearing an outfit like yours, Spelly. :p

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh c'mon Spelly - no offense, it was a joke (and a rather ridiculous one at that). I'd thought that crassness of that statement made it obvious. I don't have a sexist bone in my body, believe me. Just trying to lighten the decidedly tense and hostile mood around here lately with a little humor. My bad I guess.

edit - Now that I think about it...this is a big part of why I'm so exhausted with this place right now. I can't even make a harmless joke without pissing off somebody I like.

Okay folks - my break from here truly starts now. Enough. :wave:

[ November 12, 2004, 20:13: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

You didn't offend me, DR. I just thought it was a tacky comment....and it was written in a paragraph that, previously, had quite a serious theme to it. So I didn't really see it as a joke. But either way, I just didn't think it was an appopriate thing to say here and still don't, joke or not. But that's my opinion.

Splunge -- :D I shop at the best places. ;)

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, it appears my post was misunderstood - probably my bad. However, I don't need a lecture on "class" from you, Wildfire. Darkwolf and I have had an ongoing (sometimes off again) dialogue that at times has had a hard edge to it, more so than with some of the other conservatives on this board.

I found it odd that Darkwolf should return to the boards directly after a Bush victory, and that he was not a part of the pre-election debate. It appears that because I really like the conservatives on this board (and said as much) that I was in someway back-handing Darkwolf for cowardice. I think everyone has to admit that the conservatives put up with quite a bit of abuse on this board. But my larger point was that it's not the politics that drives this board - unlike some others that I have posted on - but that it is a true community of people who can move beyond the division of ideology/politics/religion, for the most part.

I have never known Darkwolf to shrink from a good political argument in the past, and if he says that he had other issues then that's good enough for me. It was only my intention to praise the conservatives who always post on this board rather than attack Darkwolf, although it may have come across that way, given the odd timing of his return. I sought to make Darkwof's absence an open-ended question, but a question that still had an edge to it, or "point" if you prefer. If there was too much of an edge, or if it was "too pointed," then to Darkwolf I extend an apology.

Also, I believe that Darkwolf and I both have a deep respect for the Founders, and that they are still controlling figures in a great deal of the political debate (as well as many aspects of our national identity).

I chose to bring Washington into the dialogue because he IS a unifying figure for almost all Americans. At a time when party politics was every bit as ugly as they are now, many Americans (but certainly not all) regarded Washington immune to their effects, and history, IMO, has proved that to be true for the most part. As Americans we still learn from the example that Washington set for us.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Chandos, I’m going to jump to Darkwolf’s defence (probably unnecessarily, since you made it clear that you didn’t mean to offend him).

When Darkwolf decided to leave, there was a lot of venom coming at him and from him. The tone of the “discussions” were not what we have seen with other Conservatives; it went beyond “heated” - this was poisonous and personal on both sides. In his final post, Darkwolf seemed to recognise this and I think for his own sake and that of the Alley felt that it would be best if he left for awhile. While it’s unfortunate that he allowed himself to be put in that position in the first place, I give him credit for seeing that it was an unhealthy situation and for making a decision which IMO was the right one, at least in the short term.

One other thing:
    Well, they deserve it - they're conservative, after all! :evil:

11. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Says the man who is related to Dick Cheney. :D

12. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Takara thinks you should all just chill out with a refreshing smoke. :hippy:

Getting waaay to serious guys.

13. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

After reading your first post, I am inclined to say that you do. Your venom there and here is rather unnecessary. A few people were wondering where you were and were vaguely worried for your safety. There's no need to be so... tetchy.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Slith - Since you appear intent on keeping the venom going yourself - evidenced by the fact that you are commenting on my first post, and ignoring the second - try taking a bit of your own advice...how easy it is to see our own faults in other people.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This thread started off as a good-natured ribbing and thawing of the ice on Darkwolf's part towards Death Rabbit and Chandos.

Now looking at recent posts ...

*sigh*

Please take it to PM. I hope I don't have to shut this down.

16. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I've got your back if you have to smack 'em, Beren.

Good to have you back, Chandos.

I had feared you'd been kidnapped by radical Conservative Zealots who threatened to behead you if all Liberals did not leave America.

If you need protection...I run a little service...

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    What, no aliens? I refuse to believe this. Please tell me you took pictures at betelgeuse?

:alien:

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Thanks, HS. And yes, funny thing - a bunch of them showed up on my front lawn, wearing white sheets with eye-cutouts, carrying torches and ranting something about "dragons" - "grand ones" at that. At first I thought they were from the local D&D club, and just wanted to do some dungeon crawling. But they wouldn't leave, they informed me, "till they had rounded up every god dang Kerry supporter."

Luckily, being so close to Halloween, I still had my Halloween costume (I went as a Bush supporter). After assurances that I was as much a true Texas white-collar criminal as they were, they relunctantly left. I guess the Kerry sign still on my front lawn confused them. ;) :grin:

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hello, and have a nice break. Remember to come back too so Spellbound does not need to shatter her nerves over nothing, at least. ;)

Or don't. Don't ask me. There are billions of other boards too with billions of different people.

20. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well DR, you might not be related to Ron Jeremy, but according to this photo currently shooting through the blogosphere, there's still hope.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.