1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Down with Garrick!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by The Fat Egg, Jul 23, 2000.

1. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Just let Xan wander into bear territory by himself. As a conjurer Edwin has the best selection of spells, he can't use Identify but a secondary multi-mage, or bard can do the job. Too bad he's evil.

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] You can always get his stuff and kick him out the party when you get waylaid, just after you move him up as a shield.

3. aeckler1981 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I thought Garrick was much better than Xan.
    Xan just pissed me off and i didn't even use him. Also Garrick is awsome if you can afford to get a special crossbow. It keeps him out of range of most attacks but he still able to do a good amount of damage.

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Garrick deserved very much to be left for Kobold chow in the Nashkel Mines, which is exactly what happened to him :D He absoloutly sucked, and for that matter, so did ho-hum Xan. You all need to find some decent characters to play with. *snicker* Garrick simply doesn't cut it as a bard, who should be able to fight AND cast spells. Otherwise, what good are they. Xan is an excaptable mage (although I went ahead and chose Dynheir for whatever reason). His attitude was just so grating, I simply couldn't keep him.

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited May 09, 2001).]

5. Ace of Spades Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Okay, so "El Kabong" has more talent than Garrick. Why did any of you let him into your group to begin with? --- he set you up! If you agree to meet with his trampy little friend, Silke, you either have to kill those trader guys(and suffer REP loss), or slay her (maybe he set HER up...)Either way, he's not to be trusted. How's that saying go? Fool me once, shame on you.....

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You've got to keep him, if just for the Monty Python when he runs away.

7. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Garrick The Ass didn't realize that Sylke was a deceptive little bitch. C'mon now, he's just another pretty boy with an empty head. I don't need to tell you that people like that are next-to useless.

If you don't have a warped sense of humor, you'll never truly appreciate Xan. I'm very tempted to reinstall BG1, just to have him in a party again.

8. Avooch Dar Guest

i have played BG all the way through to many times to count now and i have always had Xan in my party...........i never considered not having him an option

9. Arcelik Snivvel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am playing through BG1 now and I really like Xan. Such a cheery soul.I gave Garrick the body swerve - I just dont see losing anyone to make space for him.

10. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

how can u people like Xan! so wat if he has his moonblade... He CANT cast magic missile! his voice is whiny too

11. Mikka Gems: 1/31

I think we're arguing more on personallity at this point.

You can say what you want- but Garrick has a better chance of hitting his target then Xan does. He also is more tallented with weapons. He's not part fighter- he's maybe 1/4th fighter, 1/4th mage (in BG2, it's more like 1/3rd mage, though), 1/4th thief, and 1/4th something totally different.

Yes, Xan has more spells- but he's a mage. Yeah, he has a nice sword, but Garrick can have just as nice as one, and can hit more often with it. Garrick has an extreamly nice lore, as well, and can do a bit of pickpocketing.

Xan is a better mage. Garrick is a better bard. Why are they even being compared?!?! Next your going to start comparing Imoen and Ajantas... Minsc and Edwin... geeeezzz!

As for Eldoth and Garrick..
    Garrick:
    14str. Bad, but it's alright.. I guess. =P
    16dex. That's good. The thiefs have better, but he's not a thief.
    09con. Well, he doesn't have many hitpoints, but he shouldn't be in the frontline, anyway.
    13int. Could be a little higher...
    14wis. Err, it wouldn't matter if it was 3 or 18, it's useless for him.
    15chr. Not bad, I guess. You could use him for buying stuff if you feel like putting your points in other things besides chr.

Now, Eldoth..
    16 str. Nice. He can hit stuff. =D
    12 dex. WHY is his dex so loww? Pfft.
    15 con. Not bad. He can last for a bit.
    13 int. Ugg, it could be a bit higherr..
    10 wis. Doesn't matter.
    16 chr. Use him to sell stuff, as well. =)

So, looking at these stats, you can see that Eldoth is better in the front lines fighting, and Garrick in the back casting. However, their both bards, and their best abilities are two things.. one, they have good lore, and two, they have a bard song. =)

12. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Going on that, Garrick's better as he has higher INT and WIS, therefore better lore.

(EDIT: sorry about that bit of misinformation. I didn't have the table in front of me and just knew that INT and WIS affected lore.)

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited March 04, 2002).]

13. sorvo Guest

Actually the lore plus/minus, bonus/not bonus is zero from 10 to 14 ability stats in Wis and Int:)

14. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] You know, just because Baldur's Gate is a game that's years old now, doesn't mean that you have to dredge up threads that are years old as well...

15. sorvo Guest

Why not? I was doing a search on bards and came across this mistake. And since I didn't find the answer I wanted I'll ask it here instead of making a new thread. Would you choose bow or crossbow(missle weapon) as a starting ranged weapon?

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    uhm ... well since you pick up garrick in Beregost where the light crossbow of speed is available it's somehow consequent to give him that weapon - it'll add this sucker a better, though still weak, misile attack.

17. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] Alright, Garrick isn't the best. But why would he be in the game if he really sucked that bad? If you like bards and complex romantic relationships and appreciate bard song, then definitely use him. He talks to many people, including Minsc, Skie, and Tiax.

BTW, how does Xan have anything to do with Garrick. They are totally different!

18. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I have to admit he's in my party for roleplay purposes only and definitely not powergaming, but he's not so bad.

In fact, I can't help but smile every time he says "Yes Sir" when my PC is a female. :grin:

19. Psycho Jim Gems: 1/31

Edwin is the best mage in the game, end of story, but he's evil. Give Xan a wand of lightning and a wand of fireball and he is the second best mage in the game. He may have a poor CON (7) but he is a mage, so shouldn't be put in a situation that he will get hit too often. Nither Garrick nor Xan will last very long in melee combat, and Xan is the superior spell caster. Is it only me that can see there is no choice here?

[This message has been edited by Psycho Jim (edited March 10, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.