1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Don't wanna kill Firkraag

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Capt Massacre, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Chickavalier:

Yes, but Firkaag doesn't know that when he's planning to kill you. :bang: Just because he is prevented from committing an evil act, it doesn't negate the intent to commit it, and it certainly doesn't mean he's not evil.

2. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Neither do you know that the finale battle will take place in hell :p

3. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

" The real shame is that there aren't any neutral dragons in the game that you can converse with! "

What about the Silver Dragon outside the Drow City in the Underdark?

Another item no one has mentioned is the Red Dragon Scale armour you can make from the scales. Pre TOB, this is about the best armour there is. Of course, from a role-playing point of view, you have no idea that you will be able to make that armour.

4. Felinoid

@Chas:
    Silver dragons are good (Lawful Good to be exact). I'm talking about one of the neutral (gem) dragons, who won't care whether you're good, neutral, or evil, and simply want someone to chat with.

5. Koki Gems: 5/31

I really fail to see why he shouldn't be killed.

He ruined Winspear's life. He killed, or if you like it better that way, tricked you into killing paladins. Harpers were after him, and I don't think it was because of his good deeds.
    He's sorry? Where? More like bored with Charname. It was just like Mae'Var and his "Go away, tool." Damn, that pissed me off, I must admit. Whole game you are deceived, tricked, and generally 'the dumb guy', but nothing annoyed me as much as Mae'Var. So I slit his throat.
    As for fearing ancient Red Dragon, must I remind that the whole point of BG2 is chasing after very powerful mage, more powerful than Firkraag, and his vampiric sidekick? Charname sure doesn't have self-preserving instinct :)

And the top thing, no one messes with me and lives :p

6. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Whole thing wrong is that you can kill dragons easily. you shouldn't be able to kill them easily, or not at all.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    It is sad that the Dragons in the game are a bit lacking in terms of battle prowess. While I'd believe that a party that's gone through the Underdark and most of the sidequests would probably be able to kill him (though not without some difficulty), a party with an average level of around 10-15 would probably be slaughtered. It would have been better if the dragons in BG2 where like the Lionheart variety, with the ability to fly. Probably with the innate abilities "eat adventurer", "use my tail to slap them all away + 100 points of crushing damage", or "sit down on the mage before he finishes casting finger of death".

I play chaotic neutral so I have half a world of reasons why I should kill that dragon. In the instances I played Good, I killed him because the reason why he spared my character is:

a) He's lying. He knows that he could be fighting a godling whose destiny seems clearer than the others. Crossing said godling and thus, attempting to deter him from his fate could be disastrous to his health.
    b) He's telling the truth. He is overconfident. He is bored. He's thinks you're an actor and that the movie is about to commence.
    c) A combination of the previous two reasons.

Anyway, it's becomes apparent that the reason why he's evil is because he does evil things for the sake of entertainment. If it's in your conscience to allow such an evil creature to plague the lands... It'd be like leaving Reijek Hidesman to continue his dirty work.
    He spared Gerran because that part of the entertainment is over. That Gerran turned out better off without responsibilities is a side-effect. It's irrelevant. In fact, "spare" is not even the word for it. Ignore is more apt. There's no point in torturing him further because that part's already been done to hell. The next person - probably some figure who made a name for himself helping people who Firkraag decides to destroy in all aspects - financially, socially, spiritually, emotionally and finally, physically for the sake of "amusement" has his blood on your hands. Gerran was only too lucky to have survived.
    Of course, there's no point in killing a dragon then and there if you're not ready and he's apt to kill you 100%. There are, after all, two sides to Tymora's coin.
    But there's no reason why a Mage who can cast LvL 8 spells, a Warrior who has had time to master his skills (killing sahaugin, beholders, drow, kuo-toa, mindflayers, etc) or a priest who has gained the ability to resurrect party mates couldn't kill him, with some effortand planning. These characters already rank as close to legendary by D&D measures, I think.

[ July 03, 2005, 14:14: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Not killing him (unless you really, really kick ass) would be the more roleplaying-ish decision ... but what's the point of RPing in this game? It certainly doesn't support it, so hack and slash and burn and trash and blow those dudes away :)

9. Felinoid

Bingo! If you want roleplaying, pick up the pen & paper version, find some friends, and go nuts!
    :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
    It's way more fun than the CRPG's, and has a lot more options. :thumb: :thumb:

10. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

Also, gorion hates him. so you hate him.

11. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] My God! Why haven´t any of you seen the light yet? This is D&D, right? Which means Dungeons & Dragons. You explore Dungeons & kill Dragons. End of discussion. :D :D :D

12. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

Neutral dragon:
    in watcher's keep, 4th floor, githyanki area, Saladrex

13. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31

He's red, therefore he's evil.
    Dragons - color coded for your convinience.

14. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Elwyn: appropriate quote from the OoTS!

I remember an old slogan for dragonsbane swords which said something like this: Just kill it!

Opening of the Dragon hunting season! ;)

15. Felinoid

@Chickavalier:
    Unless my sources are mistaken (I only got ToB recently and haven't tried it out yet), Saladrex is another red, which makes him evil. I'm talking about neutral dragons here. The five classic examples from the Monstrous Manual are: Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz. These are the gem dragons. The only ones that are even close to red are amethyst (purple) and topaz, which looks like a big yellow bat with orange wings. :nuts:

Urgh! I think I found out why there are no neutral dragons in BG2. They all have some psionics. I doubt the programmers would want to code those abilities in just to enable neutrals. :sosad: :cry: It's not fair!

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Well Saladrex isn't THAT evil if you take the time to actually talk to him. Full of himself and pompous, yes, but evil? He doesn't go around killing paladins, kidnapping children, and framing bands of adventurers (all of which Firkraag's done). In fact he's the only dragon in BG2 (aside from the even more arrogant silver dragon, and the Hell dragon) that doesn't brag on about the people he's slaughtered.

I always feel a little guilty every time I kill him :)

17. Felinoid

As Elwyn said, red = evil (specifically, Chaotic Evil). Just because Saladrex doesn't brag about it doesn't mean he hasn't done it (or worse). Maybe he's heard of how you killed Firkraag, and is scared s***less that you're going to do the same to him, so he pretends to be a numbskull.

And the ever popular alignment breakdown (this time, backwards! :roll: ):

CE: Maybe kill him just because he thinks he's SO beautiful. :p
    NE: Treasure and XP vs. chance of injury.
    LE: Leave the nutbag alone.
    CN: Like you can predict this one. :nuts:
    TN: He's not upsetting the balance, leave him alone.
    LN: He's not breaking any laws, leave him alone.
    CG: It's red, kill it!
    NG: He's probably evil, might as well kill him before he escapes and causes harm.
    LG: Leave him alive due to lack of evidence. After all, he probably is evil, but he's not doing anything evil (that you know of).

18. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

I'm thinking same with Ziad

19. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    lol Felinoid.

IMO, it's the lawful character who might decide to kill Saladrex because he thinks he so beautiful (and pompous and mighty, as if he were above the law). If I were pompous myself, I'd kill him out of sheer outrage. :p

EDIT

20. -s_c- Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

CN: tastes like chicken

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.