1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Don't call me Anglo-Saxon

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Iago, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If not Anglo-Saxon, what then? I've been entlightend, the politically correct term is: English-Speaker!

http://chasquionline.com/ViewPage.aspx?PageID=835

Obviously, the denomination "Anglo-Saxon", used in most continental European languages (I speculate, as about 40 are unkown to me) has a completely different connotation for English-Speakers.

And all these people you can google up using "anglo-saxon" do so because English is not their mother tongue and the connotations are unkown to them, while they translate literally.

But, Anglo-Saxon means having a different value-sytem, a different law-system, a different way-of-life, a different way of measurement (miles instead of meters), a different way of literature, a different way of thinking, a different political system, a different school-system, a whole different culture.

All more or less connected from Hong-Kong, Singapore, Australia, Canada, USA to Ireland.

What is the word you use to describe your tribe ? English-Speaker is not enough to replace "anglo-saxon".

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ireland is a very versatile country with lots of languages spoken.

We have Gaeltacht (regions where Gaelic is the primary language).

The traveller community have their own language and are the descendants of an ancient race of wandering poets.

In the North of Ireland, Mandarin is the 3rd most used language!

I don't think it would do us justice to be called 'Anglo-Saxons'.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    In the U.S., Anglo-Saxon tends to be used to describe someone of English heritage. Not necessarily born in England, but one who can trace his ancestry back there. As such, the vast majority of Americans would not consider themselves Anglo-Saxon, which is quite a different result if the article that Iago posts is accurate. As the article points out, the U.S. has so many different heritages in it that it is fair to say we haven't really been "Anglo-Saxon" for around 200 years.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I consider myself hispanic anglo-saxon since I can indeed trace my ancestry to Scotland, England, Ireland (hence the anglo), Spain (hence the hispanic), Finland (hence the Saxon) AND New Zealand. My Grandmother was black-Irish granting me my hispanic origins, my family name, Croft, is deep in Finnish roots and my Mother's side of the family is simply Scottish in origin. I'm a real hodge-podge of races and I wouldn't have it any other way.

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In Chinese, it's call oversea ghost little. Japanese are call eastern oversea ghost little or simply ghost little. i love chinese, things are so simple.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Um, but didn't the Normans subjugate and come close to wiping out the anglo-saxons around 1066? I could be mixed up there, but the one thing I know is that, if you really look at the history, England is almost as much a melting pot as America is, just a much slower one. Everyone who has ever invaded England for any reason has stuck around afterwords. The Romans, the Germans, the Norse, the Nordic, you name it.

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Apparently I'm not your average English-speaker.
    If you talked about EITHER the Angles or the Saxons (Or the Jutes for that matter) I might understand but Anglo-Saxon doesn't have the same connotations. It is somewhat ironic that Anglo-saxon means British, given they were invaders (Those damn Germans again!) ;) in or around the 5th century.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    To me Anglo-Saxon is just a generic term used to describe people of primarily English descent. The article refers to Braveheart which dealt with the Scots who were not Anglo-Saxon. Oh some of the ones on the east coast may have had Anglo-Saxon ancestors as well as picts, Danes and I don't know what else.

The Normans didn't wipe out the Anglos but mixed with them. Just as the Anglo, Danes, Romans etc mixed with the Britains.

English Speaking Countries is fine with me. Of course English varies from place to place. We worry too much about being 'politically correct' imo.

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The Normands never migrated into England like Britons (I want to say in the Neolithic period) or the Angles, Jutes and Saxons during the 400s through 600s. The Northern Germans and Southern Danes that came over to England as mercenaries in the 400 hundreds actually settled, bringing their women and children. The Norse and Normands who invaded England never brought numbers and rarely created permanate settlements (William the Conquerer used predominately mercenaries in the conquest of Anglo-Saxon England). Because the Nords and their southern decendants in the Normands never actually settled or "colonized" England, those who stayed in England simply had their DNA assimilated into the native population.

Raiding is a Germanic theme :D Franks in Fance, Visgoths in Spain, Vandals in North Africa, Lombards in Italy... virtually no genetic trace of them within those lands anymore. Anglo-Saxons where rather unique in actually immigrating enbulk.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    No, I'm talking about the Norman invasion of 1066, the Battle of Hastings. The Normans were from France, though many were only 2nd or 3rd generation.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Paradoxically, the Normans weren't so far away from the Anglo-Saxons ethnically. They were still a Germanic tribe. It's the French and the Bretons who went with William who were so ethnically different. Note also that Anglo-Saxon nobles had ties with Scandinavian royalty. For example, Harold Godwinson (aka Harold II, the king of 1066) had a better claim to the Danish crown than the English one.

Here, I most often hear "Anglo-Saxon" in reference to culture or law systems (aka common law in the broad sense).

Native speaker of English doesn't cut it. Even first generation counts here. Perhaps a native of an English-speaking country. But come on, India and Israel belong there. And it's not like WASPS and native Americans are the same, either.

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The law systems of the US and UK are not so similar. Common law rules in the UK; it doesn't in the US.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I almost never hear the term "Anglo-Saxon" these days. In New Zealand, the all-encompassing term for people like this is "Pakeha" but I'm sure that the Maori translation of this word into English is probably not complimentary.

14. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

heh, "pakeha" is probably as complimentary in Maori as "anglo-saxon" is in French... :shake:

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

My race is called the Tzenkethi. ;)

Really, I don't care if you want to call me Anglo-Saxon, white, caucasian, caucaziod, or a fluffy bunny; I know who I am and that's good enough for me. :roll:

16. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The Normans invaded Ireland (John de Courcey) and didn't wipe out the Irish (many tried, but never succeeded), we just got a lot of 'fitz names' instead.

Just like calling the Scottish 'Picts'.

People calling themselves 'anglo-saxon' these days is as silly as the Turks calling themselves Ottoman's, or the Irish calling themselves Tuatha dé Danann.

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Okay...honkey.

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Well considering the melting pot that is Briton it's impossible to say what they are. The Romans invaded and stayed (Around 50AD?). The Saxons invaded and stayed (Around 400AD). Franks invaded in 1066AD and stayed.

I don't mind being called Anglo-Saxon, white, Pakeha, hey you! or whatever. No offence is taken at all.

After looking even closer at my bloodlines I've discovered that my great grandmother on my mother's mother's side was Mori Ori, the tribe that claimed to have arrived in New Zealand BEFORE the Maori. Yeesh...

19. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

You might have Finnish roots but you sure don't seem know too much about us. :p Finnish people are finno-ugric and have really nothing to do with saxons, also the name Croft can't possibly be Finnish since it contains letters (c and f) that aren't used in traditional Finnish words. Unless Croft is an anglification(if that even is the correct term) of some old Finnish family name, which I suppose is possible.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Close enough - it's Anglican.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.