1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dominique Strauss-Kahn To Go Free

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It turns out that Strauss-Kahn may have been the victim of a set-up by the maid. I instantly thought of what LKD often says about guys who are falsely accused of rape. They are often presumed guilty just on the woman's word. In this case, that certainly appears to be true.

After the big rush to judgement, and the way in which he was mocked by the media, it appears the guy just had sex with the woman in question. And that she has done these types of accusations in her somewhat shady past.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43600818/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just saw that as well. Convicted in the media, probably innocent in the court (if it even gets that far). Derailed his political career though.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sad. I hate to see people ruined on false accusations.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

False accusations are horrible things that deserve brutal punishment. That said, though, I wish to go on the record stating that I don't believe wealth and power should shield perpetrators from prosecution -- I mean, we all know it DOES, but it shouldn't. I don't want anyone to think I would in any way endorse a real rape.

In this case, it would appear a rape did not occur.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It seems to me they put the wrong person under arrest, although through no fault of their own [the prosecutors have to give a degree of weight to the accusations]. However, the thing that bothers me is the way in which most of the media "presumed" he was guilty from the get go, without even so much as a hint of doubt. A real investigative reporter would have researched and uncovered all this in no time, rather than the bleating, blathering, sheep who chase after pepole with cameras and microphones while pretending to be real reporters and journalists. It's really sad what's happened to journalsim. And it's no wonder people stopped buying newpapers and watch it on TV mostly for its entertainment value and not much else.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Essential article and cause for reflection on the occasion of this case apparently falling apart:
    Guiding someone around in chains says louder than words 'This is a criminal', and it is in that already a pre-verdict, effective not in court but certainly in public opinion. I.e. the French value the privacy of a suspect higher. They also value the privacy of an accuser.

The US legal system has, on a simple allegation, very heavy handedly destroyed or at least severely damaged DSK's career. For what? One can assume that crap like that happens to other people too, who sadly are not as wealthy and well positioned to defend themselves. This is a systemic flaw.
    Etc. pp.

So in France Andrew Breitbart would probably be a criminal for what he did to Wiener alone (as he should be seen IMO). The good thing for him: In France they don't add up charges to come out with stuff like 287 years in jail, no possibility of parole.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Heh, it isn't every day that I and LKD agree so much ;) . Oh well, this still isn't over, so let's wait for it to end - after all, at first there was a lot of talk how the case was getting stronger, now it got weaker, but it still hasn't ended. Either way, some damage has already been done - the guy's chances for the French presidency pretty much evaporated, the IMF has a new chief, and his wife (and all the world) knows he cheated on her.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    Is that any of our of the NYPDs business?

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My question is this: If he was already popular in France, and in France they consider such things as the "perp walk" illegal (especially now that the charges seem bogus), why couldn't he run for President in France? The only thing he's guilty of is cheating on his wife, and no doubt the list of politicians who have that next to their name is long. Is that a MAJOR problem in France? Getting caught with a mistress? Hell, we've had the President of the US getting blowjobs in the Oval Office and nowadays no one seems to care... Just sayin.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    DSK can run for president in France, and his party is actually holding his seat warm. He is Sarcozy's greatest political challenger with a realistic chance. His scandals are a vulnerability though that Sarcozy can be expected to attack.

As for marital infidelity i.e. DSK being "guilty of is cheating on his wife", for one that is not "being guilty" of a crime, and then, for instance the late Francois Mitterand was widely known to have had a mistress, Anne Pingeot. Nobody cared but his wife. It was, IMO rightly, considered a private matter.

The French are very down to earth people. IMO they are more realistic in terms of the human character than the US electorate, which despite statistics that routinely find infidelity as very prevalent, appear shocked, shocked, that politicians engage in infidelity. Yes, they do. So what? So does their electorate.

Irrespective of that sober reality, politicians are apparently expected in the US in case of marital infidelity (or some other sex related scandal) to ritually walk to Canossa and humiliate themselves publicly by apologising for this or that to a public they have no business apologising to. Usually they then go to rehab where they get miraculously cured of infidelity, gayness, preference for prostitutes or whatnot. Then they go to Oprah, ritually cleansed, to be formally re-accepted into the public.

But then, at least they don't have to flog themselves publicly.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I myself would not vote for someone whose morals I found to be questionable. But I also don't think that someone's consensual acts need to be smeared all over the media. It appears that whatever sex DSK had with that woman was consensual. She's just looking for her 15 minutes, it seems. Her efforts to get him in trouble with the law are despicable.

The public has its own ideas about what is and isn't its business, regardless of the philosophical positions about what should or shouldn't concern them. In the States or canada, I'd say this guy would be unelectable. Perhaps the French will prove themselves different.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Her $ 150k rather.

In a phone call the maid allegedly made to a man in an Arizona jail just a day after the alleged sexual assault she reportedly said: "Don't worry, this guy has a lot of money. I know what I'm doing." (link)

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Good luck with that. ;)

starfox64 likes this.
  14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Chandos, clearly, LKD is stating that he does not vote.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Aldeth - Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe he has a plan B. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.