1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dodge, Dex, and grappling

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by kemanmaldea, Nov 23, 2004.

1. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have a question regarding the dodge feat and if it can be applied in a grapple.
    My DM’s interpretation is that any event where you would be denied your dex to anyone denies you all dodge bonuses from any source.
    My interpretation is that as grapple denies you your dex bonus to AC to everyone save those in grapple with you. Thus you can apply your dodge bonus only to those in grapple with you as you retain your dex with regards to them, but you could not apply that bonus to someone outside of grapple (you are denied your dex with regards to them.)
    I realize that in the end the DM wins its just I want another opinion in case I ever wind up Dming and have a similar event come up.

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I looked it up in both 3rd and 3.5e handbook and it says: "You lose your dexterity bonus to AC (if you have one) against opponents you aren't grappling (You can still use it against opponents you are grappling.)"

Since you still have your Dexterity bonus against that specific opponent, I don't see a reason why you should be denied your Dodge bonus to that opponent. You are still allowed to move to avoid blows and that's what dodging is all about.

I would probably allow it, however, if you are pinned down, you still have your full AC to the pinning opponent, but it would seem rather illogical if you would still have the Dodge ability in that situation.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.