1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you trust your goverment blindly?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Mithrantir, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :mad: I dislike my current gvt, I didn't vote for them and their policy prooves me right. :mad: On the ozther hand, we have some problems here but we have a great constitution and constitutional system that guarantees that freedom is maintained.

Looking at the US, where recently laws like the "Patriot Act" passed unnoticed in the aftermath of 9/11 (forcing bookdealers to tell the FBI about your reading habits - better don't buy a koran, or, to be safe, any unchristian book - and permitting them to tell anyone, you especially) with a new version "Patriot Act II" planned (when you're a terror suspect they could take away your US citizenship - which is against international law (not that they cared) - allowing Guantanamo- or "friendly but rough" service treatment when you refuse to speak, no info to relatives and attorneys after beeing arrested :roll: :spin: Bad when they made a mistake) - even our harshest laws from the RAF terrorist's "german autumn" can't match these.

With that in mind I can trust in my gvt not to infringe my rights, if so I have a good chance to stop them in court. So I don't trust them blind but with open eyes.

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

[​IMG] The government has its uses But I would NEVER follow them or any one else blindly.

Politicans are ruled more by compromises than by there own ambitions. They spend endless days dealing with commitees and reviews, their hopes and dreams dominated by and overwhelming disre to be liked.
    Democracy as we know it is the art of achieving nothing by doing a lot.
    And don't go thinking i'm some communist person or anything. I just hate the way all governments are run. Lets look at a typical Democratic government. Every citizen casts a vote, maybe every 4 years (give or take 2) and the winning party gets in power. They are in power for the rest of their term. With a few exceptions there is nothing at all the common person can do to change the government even if the majority of the population turns against it.

And the politions them selves, how often do the do anything good for the country. Here in New Zealand we have a huge over seas debt, a pathetic education system but a bloody big future savings for the old peoples pentions. What a waits of money. And then when this party gets voted out the next government will come and just throw away all this money, they wont pay off overseas debts nor will the improve the education system. Knowning them they will go and luanch (spelling?) some big anti nuclear New Zealand campaign. Which for one is pointless considering nearly every (sane) person knows it already is. But that doesn't stop them does it, No of corse not. And every one of those good for nothing people in New Zealand thinks "wow, they're making New Zealand nuclear free! They must be a good government, lets vote them in again"
    And then the other half (yes they only use half on the anti nuclear thing, i forgot to mention that before) they use for campaigning before the elections, a waist of perfectly good money if u ask me. But then you go and ask any one in the government and they'll disagree and answer in a round about way "Na, stuff the country, all i care about is getting another 3 years rediculisly high pay for sitting on my ass all day".

Then lets take a look at another form of government - comunissim - But there should be no government in commuist countries.
    Thats my point. They say "let every one be equal, apart from me and my friends and then all the rich people who can pay us a lot of tax, oh yes and then theres our over powered army who also gets better treatment"

And then theres a classical dictatorship. Did you know that more international human right laws are broken in dictatorships than in any other form of government. I rest my case.

And another thing that really pisses me off is that darn royal family. The only advantage they have for New Zealand is that they supply another court higher than any of our own. But ofcorse our government (been the cleaver people that they are) are going to get rid of that but still keep the stupid queen as our head. What may i ask it the point behind that!?!?!?

And what should be done? you ask. The UN should be given much more power. They should be given power like the queen has over New Zealand (she can kick out any government if they're not doing there job right, but like she really cares) but over every country in the whole entire world. They should become the worlds greatest military super power to renforce their laws. Yes, like greenlion said above, one world government!
    In my opinon its the only sulotion to this huge international problem.

(Sorry about my ramblings, i tend to do that when the subject turns towards what i think about our government. But for once i think i stayed on the same topic :) ).

[ May 05, 2003, 11:40: Message edited by: Ruler of the Known Universe ]

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Trust Howard? No way in hell. The government is the pits. Our governer general is a pedophile, our Prime minister is hanging out with Bush in Texas, the opposition is led by a moron. The premier of Queensland is okish. Though he makes several thousand mistakes, so does everyone. At least he's not a complete jerk. But now I think of it, he hasn't done all that much good (that I know about) anyway.
    The Lord Mayor of Brisbane is a complete and utter idiot. No more needs to be said.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

[​IMG] I agree, who could trust howard? He's just a puppet of USA. The only thing he ever does him self are bloody racist. So i can understand you not trusting him.

5. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You are surely have a very very big problem with this prime minister. He looks as everyone with different skin colour or different beliefs but him are deserve to suffer and he does not give a penny about them.
    The way i see him he looks more fitted in a dictatorship (being the master mind) :spin:

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ahm, yes, a little Australian Duce. :( Is their anyone who actually likes the Australian Prime Minister ? I get the impression, he's as popular as Aznar is in Spain. Let me guess, he isn't planning to go for another turn as Prime Minister, is he ?

7. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Nope. I don't trust my government blindly. And I think I never will. I don't know much about politics but the choices my government makes(I mean only about the educational system) are not quite right. The next 2 years I will suffer :( if the system wont change.

8. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31

@ Alexander the Great
    My young friend don't discourage yourself with these trully exhausting years there more to come if you succeed and pass to the university. And there you will find the real meaning of education problems that our goverment has created.
    I want to remark that at least in my country the politicians see the whole thing as an occupation (can't find a better word) and not as a service to the country as it is supposed to be. And this is making the real difference because when you are working you are looking to gain a profit but when you are doing something for the greater benefit you don't expect to gain from this.
    Thus at least the politicians in Greece are dangerous to our society because they look how to gain from their position not how they will serve Greece better. :(

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Its not even i trust it at all. :p

And i dont trust no one blindly as its completely foolish if you dont have anything to build trust on.
    Mostly it seems too distant and leecher-type. All wearing suits with slimmy tongues draining the country.

There are exceptions i apologize for such generalising but most of them are such IMO.

10. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I don't. Although I trust that something will happen that is good for some people, often enough it isn't for me. Especially government programs for "No child will be left behind." Usually, that involves making sure all the below average kids are caught up. Then the higher level people like me are left behind, but no one notices...... stupid hipocrates.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    That's always a danger of big government, Compulsive Dementia. Least common denominator works well when dealing with math but sucks badly in social policy.

12. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31

THat is the real problem we are not numbers we are human and noone in the goverments takes that into consideration :(

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    No, I don't. God save us from the reds!

It's amazing how they win elections after the memorable 50 years of the regime that is thankfully no more. Considering the right side is equally greedy and screwing things up... Huh, pity there's no one related to our royal dynasty now.

And heh, I can only trust them as far as raising their salaries and giving lucrative commissions to their friends is concerned. I even don't have anyone to vote for, not a single man.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

You know, I was just looking at this question, and it really isn't all that fair. "Do you trust your govt. blindly" is on par with "Are you a complete moron?" I mean, who trusts anything blindly? Not one person on here said "yes" and it's not all that hard to see why. I'm surprised so many people (myself included) answered such a rhetorical question.

15. Volsung Gems: 14/31

I think that's true Mithrantir. You should change the topic to "Do you trust your government?"

16. Rotku

Even if the question was changed to that my answer still would be NO, certainly not, with the same arguements as i mentioned above (well most of the things i said above, some were eralivent(spelling?)).

17. Charlie Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] A big fat NO! My government has screwed our people too often. :mad:

18. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Because you enjoyed it.

There's only one way you can trust information from the government and that is if you break into their offices and steal it. Even then it might be a plant.

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Meh, I ***** and whine but don't know enough/amn't smart enough to make an informed descision on anything so I generally end up deciding that the bigwigs probably know what they're doing

20. Prozac Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Whatever, scepticism is always a healthy trait: http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/7752

Or "Fear and conform" or in Perle's words: " Trust me." More about Leo Strauss, his influence and theory here. Generally I dislike the idea of politicians who might invent enemies to keep their people in-line. This kind of elitism wouldn't quite match the demands of democracy. It's certainly a thing worth to keep an eye on.

[ May 13, 2003, 00:58: Message edited by: Prozac ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.